Mission: Impossible-Ghost Protocol

65 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Mission: Impossible-Ghost Protocol

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Mission: Impossible 42:55 PMAbout 50% full. (Or was it 50% empty? ;))Trailers:Man on a Ledge: Boring.Ghost Rider 2: Looks meh.Wrath of the Titans: Looks better then the first. (I made a comment on how Worthington was just in a trailer!)This Means War: Actually looks pretty funny. Laughs.Titanic 3D: Nothing. Other then "You know, this was back when Leo was considered annoying" (which is true)GI Joe 2: Laughs at Bruce Willis like how there was at SH2, though someone behind me goes "How lame is this?"Movie: Really great. Loved the cinematagrophy. The BEST Mission Impossible by far. Cruise was really good, but Pegg stole the show. I loved how he was just a over optimistic person. Also had one of the best car chase sequences I've seen in a while.A

• Like 1

Forgot to review this. I love how Brad Bird's fingerprints are all over this movie even though it's the fourth entry of a live action franchise. MIGP is greatly elevated by its lighter tone and the witty banter among the team, which makes the movie so consistently enjoyable past the Dubai setpiece that is still worth the price of admission alone.

A

Holy crap this was great. It manages to both be a tense spy flick and a very creative action flick at the same time, plus it's probably the best in the franchise in my opinion. The first film was good spy thriller, the second was just a dumb action flick that left surprisingly little impression on me. The third was better than the second but still surprisingly underwhelming despite J.J Abrams involvement, but Ghost Protocol takes what makes the first movie so exciting and combines it with the third's action scenes but make them even better.

Tom Cruise is great, nothing else to say other than that he kicked major ass. Simon Pegg while practically being the film's comic relief was still funny. Even though I don't think Renner acted as tough and badass as the trailer implied, was still good too. The entire team was enjoyable to hang around with and to see how creative they sometimes had to get with handling certain situations was pure entertainment. It was nice to see a that Hollywood took Swedish characters seriously for a change with a real Swedish actor as the villain, and good one at that...but if I had to voice one complaint is that Nyqvist's accent was all over the place. At one point he speaks English like Swedish people would and then the next scene he suddenly starts speaking almost fluent British. There was no reason for him to change accents like that and even when he's talking to his Swedish (or Finnish?) companion he still spoke like Micheal Caine (and for that matter why didn't he just speak Swedish then? We saw him speak Swedish earlier in the film so we know that the film is willing to use foreign languages).

The action, what can I say? Cruise climbing Burj Khalifa? Instant classic. It's just a measure of getting from point a to point B but the sequence was so sweeping and then seeing him running down the very same tower was awesomeness to the max. The action was overall tense in the sense that we could see Cruise's gears turning in his head and his sometimes extreme measures to conquer his obstacles.

Despite being the fourth in a franchise, you feel that Brad Bird had his hands all over this movie, and that's a great thing. I always like when films feel personalized in the way that I couldn't see them executed in the same fashion by anyone else (that applies to Micheal Bay too!) and it shows here. I hope he returns for MI5. Giacchino's score was great too, keeping true to the series while still mixing things up a bit by giving us different motifs depending on the location, like the Russian choir at the Kremlin scenes.

If there are two major grieves I have with this it would be the epilogue, which I found dragged on a little longer than it should (though the part with him

waving back to his wife was a touching little moment

) and the way

Hendricks goes out. His random suicide came completely out of left field and didn't seem necessary. Plus what was up with him briefly turning his head to Ethan Hunt who tried to abort the nuclear warhead? Did he want to see Ethan fail before he finally dies?

My final verdict is that Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol is perfect popcorn entertainment, a globetrotting spy adventure that demands to be seen on the biggest screen in town. It's the best in the franchise by a good stretch and I will now declare it my favorite film released in 2011. Bring on MI5!

9/10

Edited by C00k13
  • Like 1

Finally saw this at the IMAX yesterday. A hell of a lot of fun, and the Dubai scenes looked great on the format. I liked the way the film didn't pretend to be anything more than set piece after set piece.That said, it was 20 minutes too long - you can't have a pace that frantic and be over two hours. The villain was utterly forgettable and the nuclear bomb plot was derivative even by Bond standards. Renner's okay, but I'm not sure why he's the next action hero. He was fine in this but I wouldn't have given him a second thought otherwise.4/5

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

The underwhelming villain didn't bother me per se, but it was a bit silly that after beating up dozens of guys without breaking a sweat Hunt suddenly met his match with a middle-aged diplomat in the parking lot.

:lol: :lol:True.The villain is the same guy as Mikael Blomkvist from the Swedish Dragon Tattoo movies. I didn't like that guy in those movies and I didn't like him in GP. Something about him is off.
  • Like 1

Loved the film. This really delivers when it comes to the action. There was a good amount of humor as well. All the main characters were good with Renner being the standout. The best in the series, and I hope they make more.

A+

Yeah just saw that it did. I actually am getting a good deal from a video store (yes we have one still!) where they will give you 3 blu rays for just 20 dollars a couple months after they are released.

Yeah just saw that it did. I actually am getting a good deal from a video store (yes we have one still!) where they will give you 3 blu rays for just 20 dollars a couple months after they are released.

sounds like a good deal to me ;)