Olive

Weekend Est: 22JUMP 60.0M| HTTYD2 50.0M|Male 19.0M|EOT 16.1M|Fault 15.7M|DOFP 9.5M

Pixar didn't always have a film and nothing else was huge because of that (shrek 2 aside) Pixar is like a franchise and it plays out like one too - just because Fast 7 isn't hitting theaters this summer do you think folks will flock to the next action pic because of that? People need to get some perspective on the box office and realize that it's going to do its own thing regardless of what we think might be normal. Ten years following and every year has surprised me with something and every year people come along going well why can't it be like _______ film - every damn film is it's own thing! Also economy in the us is not nearly as strong as the government would have you believe and eventually lower income coupled with higher prices for tickets IS going to effect the films in release particularly of a family variety. Doesn't explain why Maleficent is doing so well - but that opening weekend Cinemascore should have told people it wasn't going to just drop off the planet.

• Like 5

Isn't that expected to make like 65 million domestic?  That's like Boxtrolls or Guillermo Del Toro's Halloween movie.  You know what I mean.

Depends on who you talk to - planes 1 did nearly a 4x and it could theoretically do the same or higher or it could go lower. Even if planes two drops 10-20% it would still cross 75m or so.

Summer animation gross

2007: $800m/4 movies = $200m avg

2008: $500m/3 movies = $167m avg

2009: $600m/3 movies = $200m avg

2010: $900m/3 movies = $300m avg

2011: $500m/3 movies = $167m avg

2012: $700m/4 movies = $175m avg

2013: $1000m/ 6 movies = $167m avg

2014: $300m/2 movies = $150m avg

Also economy in the us is not nearly as strong as the government would have you believe and eventually lower income coupled with higher prices for tickets IS going to effect the films in release particularly of a family variety.

I don't buy this aspect of your argument (we've had several family films with solid runs this year), but everything else you said I'm in complete agreement. Everything points to no particular rush or demand to see HTTYD2. Obviously legs should be very good and overall it'll be quite successful, just not as much as we all expected.
  • Like 3

Summer animation gross2007: $800m/4 movies = $200m avg2008: $500m/3 movies = $167m avg2009: $600m/3 movies = $200m avg2010: $900m/3 movies = $300m avg2011: $500m/3 movies = $167m avg2012: $700m/4 movies = $175m avg2013: $1000m/ 6 movies = $167m avg2014: $300m/2 movies = $150m avg

But why limit it to summer? That rather artificially takes away the fact that 2014 had a huge spring animated hit and a couple other solid ones.
  • Like 3

I don't buy this aspect of your argument (we've had several family films with solid runs this year), but everything else you said I'm in complete agreement. Everything points to no particular rush or demand to see HTTYD2. Obviously legs should be very good and overall it'll be quite successful, just not as much as we all expected.

I actually think the fact that family films have been so strong this year is part of that. With so much money spent in the first quarter (over 500m!!!) just on the animated films something had to give and the weak marketing of the summer animation slate isn't driving the desire for what is essentially a satisfied marketplace. Extra $$ means that extra will be spent even when product isn't as appealing as it could be. Not faulting the movies themselves mind you - but we see great films fail the box office all the time.

Where is the Pixar family crowd going to go with there not being a top notch Pixar movie this summer? Will they just stay home when they would normally make one those movies about 300 domestic? There is something fishy here with there not being a Pixar movie this summer. They will have to come out sometime this summer to keep their kids busy.

How many Pixar movies have actually grossed more than $300m(unadjusted)? 2They are incredible consistent and are most of their movies are in the $60-70/$220-270m range. There are outliers in Pixar just like there are with every brand.
  • Like 1

But why limit it to summer? That rather artificially takes away the fact that 2014 had a huge spring animated hit and a couple other solid ones.

Not to mentioned 2010 had the original HTTYD and Tangled both outside the summer season, both of which were a huge part of getting it to the heights it achieved. And you just can't mention 2013 animation grosses without Frozen.

And I also think that this is a good show of how well Disney knows their brand and their marketing - yes they have the occasional crapper (the marketing for John Carter comes to mind) but Disney generally knows how to sell a film, even the crappy ones and they created a desire that obviously Fox and Dreamworks didn't do.

I actually think the fact that family films have been so strong this year is part of that. With so much money spent in the first quarter (over 500m!!!) just on the animated films something had to give and the weak marketing of the summer animation slate isn't driving the desire for what is essentially a satisfied marketplace. Extra $$ means that extra will be spent even when product isn't as appealing as it could be. Not faulting the movies themselves mind you - but we see great films fail the box office all the time.

We can all thank Frozen and LEGO for that. :hi5:

• Like 1

I look at a lot of films as no particular rush to see them, when just a few months later I can watch them at home. That's one thing I remember growing up. When a movie was released on home video, maybe you got it a year after it was released.It almost forced you to go to the theater
  • Like 1

If you look at HTTYD as a $170m+ movie that got a major halo effect bump from Avatar, combined with a 4 year wait, HTTYD2's OW makes more sense.

Edited by cory

If you look at HTTYD as a $170m+ movie that got a major halo effect bump from Avatar, combined with a 4 year wait, HTTYD2's OW makes more sense.

Many people were disappointed with the first Dragon's opening though. :stop: