#ED

Wknd Est: TLM2 - 30M, 22JS - 29M, HTTYD - 25.3M, JB - 13.5, [DOFP - 6.2M]

I was wrong about there being 3 mainstream movies so far this year (out of 70) with a Black protagonist/main character.  There actually have been 4 of them (out of 70).  I forgot to include "Haunted House 2".  That one had a 9% on RT.  So if you average out the 4 we have so far it is 18% for Ride Along, 9% for Haunted House 2. 69% for About Last Night, and now 23% for TLAMT.  Average those out and our new average score is 30% on RT.

I was wrong about there being 3 mainstream movies so far this year (out of 70) with a Black protagonist/main character.  There actually have been 4 of them (out of 70).  I forgot to include "Haunted House 2".  That one had a 9% on RT.  So if you average out the 4 we have so far it is 18% for Ride Along, 9% for Haunted House 2. 69% for About Last Night, and now 23% for TLAMT.  Average those out and our new average score is 30% on RT.

I think that's not because Hollywood has something against African-Americans but more that these movies are actually bad.

I think that's not because Hollywood has something against African-Americans but more that these movies are actually bad.

or maybe it's because critics, being mostly older white guys, have different tastes from black folk on average? critics often also dislike movies intended for Christian audiences/teens/more working class people as well, that's not because those films are objectively bad, it's because they're not trying to appeal to the critics' demographic.

• Like 2

I watched "Ride Along" opening day in the theaters, and it was not in the least bit deserving of the 18% on RT. It was one of the more enjoyable movies of the year, and it was also a pretty good comedy with good performances and a simple to follow story. No idea why critics bashed it.

The local pop radio station just brought up the bad summer hollywood is having. This seems to be a big topic of conversation. The host went "TLAM2 drops from estimates, and Jersey Boys tumbles. Does no one want to watch movies anymore?"

• Like 2

I don't think the Hollywood executives have anything against Blacks, either.  They want money (everyone's money) regardless of the audience's race, gender, or sexual orientation.  They just have a perception that Black audiences only tend to like dumb comedies or dumb action movies.

I don't think the Hollywood executives have anything against Blacks, either.  They want money (everyone's money) regardless of the audience's race, gender, or sexual orientation.  They just have a perception that Black audiences only tend to like dumb comedies or dumb action movies.

I found your new favorite movie

I don't think the Hollywood executives have anything against Blacks, either. They want money (everyone's money) regardless of the audience's race, gender, or sexual orientation. They just have a perception that Black audiences only tend to like dumb comedies or dumb action movies.

You do realize these movies are successful right?
  • Like 1

or maybe it's because critics, being mostly older white guys, have different tastes from black folk on average? critics often also dislike movies intended for Christian audiences/teens/more working class people as well, that's not because those films are objectively bad, it's because they're not trying to appeal to the critics' demographic.

No. It's because a lot of movies targeted towards those demographics are dumbed down. 

• Like 1

You do realize these movies are successful right?

Yeah, it is really easy to be financially successful though when you make dumb comedies with budgets of only 20 or 30 million dollars.  Tyler Perry's movies have small budgets.  That is part of the vicious cycle here.  They keep making money on their budgets, so they keep getting made.  Same thing with the budgets of dumb rom coms that typically star Katherine Heigl, Kate Hudson, Jennifer Aniston, Meg Ryan, etc.

Man, Mojoguy. I may need to block you for the summer. You're repetitive and tiresome.

Yeah, I'm thinking of blocking him too. Meaning he'd be the only member on the forums who isn't banned not get likes from me bumbumbum

Just out of curiosity did we get a 3D share for Dragon's weekend the other day? The average for animated films has been below 30-35% recently and if you all remember the first HTTYD had a 65% share.

Just saying I think that is one thing we might all be overlooking a bit. Not that it isn't underwhelming, just maybe not as terribly as we think. 

the new one had some great 3D

the new one had some great 3D

I only got to see it in 2D and I was so disappointed. The one movie I actually wanted to see in 3D, and I couldn't get there in time. I only got to see it in 2D and I was so disappointed. The one movie I actually wanted to see in 3D, and I couldn't get there in time.

I'm passing out guys.I love you all.Tele, Pink, E, Sam, Empire, Claire, CJohn, AA, Baumer, Neo, chewy, Grim, Mulder, Mango, Jay H, J Andrew,, water bottle, dragon, K1, Marston, Blank, red devil, Damienroc, Jack, MGS, Tawasal, Dex/Jesus, BKB, RTH, Spaghetti and everyone !Peace and love!

omg I got a shout out :D