CaptainJackSparrow

Boss Baby | March 31, 2017 | Dreamworks Animation

20 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Well, with Wreck-It Ralph 2 and Gigantic in 2018 I'll be able to survive, I expect both of them to be fantastic.

The Incredibles 2 and Animated Spider-Man will also help.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

The Incredibles 2 and Animated Spider-Man will also help.

OMG I forgot about The Incredibles 2, I loved the first one!!!

I didn't know at all about Spidey though, I could watch if they do something nice, the style will be important. What is the studio behind it?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

OMG I forgot about The Incredibles 2, I loved the first one!!!

I didn't know at all about Spidey though, I could watch if they do something nice, the style will be important. What is the studio behind it?

Sony Animation with Lord/Miller in charge starring Miles Morales.

• Like 2

Just now, Fullbuster said:

Oh wait...they will use the latino Spidey? That's a great idea to get people used to the idea!

I know. :) Probably in my top 10 most anticipated movies of 2018. With any luck maybe something like SCOOB or Grinch is good also. I think in 2018 for animated movies domestically, we could have potentially one $500M+ grosser (TI2), one $400M+ grosser (Grinch), some $200M+ grossers (Spider-Man, Gigantic, WI2, SCOOB) and a handful of $100M+ movies, since 2017 seems to be a soft year for animation.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I know. :) Probably in my top 10 most anticipated movies of 2018. With any luck maybe something like SCOOB or Grinch is good also. I think in 2018 for animated movies domestically, we could have potentially one $500M+ grosser (TI2), one $400M+ grosser (Grinch), some $200M+ grossers (Spider-Man, Gigantic, WI2, SCOOB) and a handful of $100M+ movies, since 2017 seems to be a soft year for animation.

Well, at least 2017 could end with Coco, Il iked the trailer. :)

As for Gigantic / Wreck-It Ralph 2 I hope to see them in the $300m+

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Well, at least 2017 could end with Coco, Il iked the trailer. :)

As for Gigantic / Wreck-It Ralph 2 I hope to see them in the $300m+

WIR2 will be the next big animated film after Smallfoot, a beloved first film and has an IMAX release but I also fear it may be another TLBM/KFP2/HTTYD2 at the domestic box office. Gigantic is wedged between a lot of family films (Grinch, Mulan, Mary Poppins, and Spider-Man), so I'm not to sure for over $250M+.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

WIR2 will be the next big animated film after Smallfoot, a beloved first film and has an IMAX release but I also fear it may be another TLBM/KFP2/HTTYD2 at the domestic box office. Gigantic is wedged between a lot of family films (Grinch, Mulan, Mary Poppins, and Spider-Man), so I'm not to sure for over $250M+.

Moana's numbers for Gigantic would be good I guess.

• Like 2

It doesn't happen often, but sometimes I just want a movie to fail hard and this is one of those movies.

Ever since we got the announcement that Croods 2 was scrapped and THIS got greenlit I've had a major hate-on for BB.

Seriously, it's like Sony wants to fail, they scrap a sequel to a surprise hit that did nearly $600m WW just as its 2 stars are peaking in popularity and go forward with something that sounds horrible right from the concept stages.

Has there been any budget numbers for BB? At least if it's a low budget low risk project it might make a bit of sense, but if the budget is bloated it makes it even worse.

At least the RT score is pointing to a flop so I can embrace the dark side of following its run.:ph34r:devil_smiley_010.gif

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Incarnadine said:

It doesn't happen often, but sometimes I just want a movie to fail hard and this is one of those movies.

Ever since we got the announcement that Croods 2 was scrapped and THIS got greenlit I've had a major hate-on for BB.

Seriously, it's like Sony wants to fail, they scrap a sequel to a surprise hit that did nearly $600m WW just as its 2 stars are peaking in popularity and go forward with something that sounds horrible right from the concept stages.

Has there been any budget numbers for BB? At least if it's a low budget low risk project it might make a bit of sense, but if the budget is bloated it makes it even worse.

At least the RT score is pointing to a flop so I can embrace the dark side of following its run.:ph34r:devil_smiley_010.gif

The scrapping of Croods 2 was announced after Universal bought DWA, although it was apparently a DWA decision merely ratified by Universal. (Variety)

That being said, I'm also on the hate-train for this, because it looks terrible (and reviews indicate likewise), and I'd rather DWA not get in the habit of making more of the same.

2 hours ago, Incarnadine said:

The Croods/The Boss Baby are 20th Century Fox, not Sony, but I see your point. Just thought I'd clarify for you.

The reception seems to be a bit better than Shark Tale, but still mixed. A bit in the Home-territory. (although, i liked Home)

Also, i think you guys are pretty harsh to either this film or current/upcoming Dreamworks-originals.

Everybody thought Croods was gonna fail....then the opposite happened. Then everybody thought Home was gonna fail....the opposite happened. And then half a year ago, everybody thought Trolls was gonna fail....again....the opposite happened.

You always assume they got a bad failure at DW's hands....yet they surprise at the box office.

I wouldn't be surprised if Captain Underpants does surprise too. Not massive numbers, perse.....but a bit better than an underperformer. And that film could be better-received than Boss Baby.

Also...this & Captain Underpants are the two last Dreamworks movies under Fox's name....Since their next films will be distributed by Universal....and i bet Dreamworks will do better in those hands.

5 minutes ago, franfar said:

I didn't expect reviews to be this bad. But like I've said before, it'll be review-proof bc kids don't prioritize it.

Well, at least the reception wasn't "Shark-Tale"-bad. That's still DW's lowest rated movie with 35%.

This one is 45%. 10% higher than Shark Tale. It's around the "Home"-territory.

On 29/03/2017 at 11:54 PM, Jason said:

That being said, I'm also on the hate-train for this, because it looks terrible (and reviews indicate likewise), and I'd rather DWA not get in the habit of making more of the same.

DWA are capable of good films but I worry that under Comcast, it's going to be a shadow of its former self. 

30 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Also, i think you guys are pretty harsh to either this film or current/upcoming Dreamworks-originals.

Everybody thought Croods was gonna fail....then the opposite happened. Then everybody thought Home was gonna fail....the opposite happened. And then half a year ago, everybody thought Trolls was gonna fail....again....the opposite happened.

We're not harsh on DWA, they need to make better films.

• Like 1