CJohn

The Purge: Election Year | July 1, 2016

6 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

I get what you're saying Gumby, however from what I hear this movie isn't political like the trailers would make you believe. 

Well I mean...there's a senator.

But I imagine the movie is more concerned with violence and doesn't feature a 20 minute set piece of Frank Grillo leading a filibuster.

16 minutes ago, Gumby said:

Good grief, why would anyone let a movie tell them who to vote for?

That's why liberal bias in the entertainment industry is so harmful.  It can influence people who can't think for themselves and need celebs/movies/singers to tell them what to believe.

I'll probably sit this election out (at Pres level unless Trump is replaced at convention) but i'm sure you'll run out to vote for Hillary, maybe the most openly corrupt and lying candidate we've ever had for the Presidency.

OMG it was a joke. Only reason why you wouldn't be able to take a joke about a god damn movie is because you're butt hurt. But thanks for getting all political for no reason. PS no I'm no Hillary Supporter either. Or a Trump one. Which is why I made the joke to begin with. Is that okay with you, or did I hurt your feelings? 

Saw the first one, it was horrible.  I heard the second one was a lot better but still bad.  I wonder if this one can reach mediocre?

I'm surprised these movies aren't much better with a neat premise you can do almost anything with.

1 hour ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Don't we have a couple of generations of anime/manga fans on these forums? I'm surprised Hollywood hasn't incorporated more ideas from the far east yet. Battle Royale has worked out well so far...

I'm hoping Netflix kills it with Death Note.

battle royale ≠ hunger games

18 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

I get what you're saying Gumby, however from what I hear this movie isn't political like the trailers would make you believe. 

As someone who has watched the film, it's political in the sense of government corruption and what not. It's more aimed at that then just an actual Purge. 

Edited by Nova

1 minute ago, Ozymandias said:

Saw the first one, it was horrible.  I heard the second one was a lot better but still bad.  I wonder if this one can reach mediocre?

I'm surprised these movies aren't much better with a neat premise you can do almost anything with.

The second one rocks.

And Trump sucks.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ozymandias said:

This one isn't better than the second one, imo and I got the feeling that was the consensus from the folks in my theater. But if you like the premise of the movies, youll

enoy it. 

2 minutes ago, mrqe93 said:

It's amazing how far this franchise has come. Will Purge be the next Saw or Paranormal Activity?

Seems like it.

Which also means...it's already peaked and Universal is going to squeeze this shit for everything it's worth for years to come.  But...that's ok.  Purge: Anarchy is better than anything in those other franchises.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 1

I'll never understand some people's fascination with these movies, the first two were ridiculously average to me and I didn't even finish watching Anarchy. I guess it has something to do with me being averse to horror movies with humans killing humans rather than monsters/ghosts doing it(not that I enjoy those either, but it's a bit better).

But you know what? I hope anyone who enjoyed the first two really get to enjoy this one, only because it's not my type of movie it doesn't mean I have to hate on it.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Jay Beezy said:

I think the emptier streets are supposed to signify the lack of participation from the majority of citizens. They even say in Anarchy that they aren't killing enough.

Right, obviously. It was reminded me of a movie set or the actual experience at Halloween Horror Nights when the streets are less busy.

And color me shocked at the reviews. I expected this to be in the 30s or 40s.

6 hours ago, somebody85 said:

Right, obviously. It was reminded me of a movie set or the actual experience at Halloween Horror Nights when the streets are less busy.

And color me shocked at the reviews. I expected this to be in the 30s or 40s.

Its right where the second one is actually. The reviews really aren't all that better. Its at 56% now with a 5.3/10 rating on RT and has a 56 on metacritic. 

10 hours ago, Nova said:

Its right where the second one is actually. The reviews really aren't all that better. Its at 56% now with a 5.3/10 rating on RT and has a 56 on metacritic. 

Yeah I thought it would fall, I've seen too many of the Youtube guys say it's exactly what I think it is with really poor acting from some side characters.

Frank Grillo is perfect for this franchise.  He adds a lot of colour to it.  I liked the third but not quite as much as the second.

4 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Frank Grillo is perfect for this franchise.  He adds a lot of colour to it.  I liked the third but not quite as much as the second.

Good to hear.  Grillo was awesome in the second, but I reeeeeally like the second, like a whole lot (shit I watched it the other night cause I was reading this thread and suddenly got the urge).  But still good?  That pleases me.

Strange franchise, cause the first is meh.  But man I love the second.

• Like 2