#ED

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes (2014)

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes

I shed a tear during some of the Caesar 'homecoming' moments ... Serkis does incredible work with Caesar ... if he doesn't get a nomintion, no one ever will for motion capture work. 

Posted Image

Fox be KILLING it this summer with it's two tent poles.  Best films IMO.

• Like 6

Quite great, and an improvement over the surprisingly strong Rise of the Planet of the Apes. This rebooted franchise has turned out much better than anyone could've anticipated. Andy Serkis is a really deserves a special Oscar for the marvelous mo-cap work he has delivered the past several years, and the human actors (Jason Clarke, Gary Oldman, Keri Russell) all contribute solid work without being too overshadowed by their CGI co-stars. A-

• Like 2

I felt really sorry for Koba when Caeser beats his ass in front of the humans and the apes... the way he looks around at everyone in confusion and despair with that bloody face made him really sympathetic before going full super villain.

Great movie.

• Like 4

B+ tentatively.

The gulf between the number of interesting apes (Koba, Caesar, Maurice, Caesar's son) and the humans is a mark against the film IMO. You're either a saint in the films, or Gary Oldman/Kirk Acevedo, people who understandably have the right to be upset but so little development compared to a character like Koba. There needs to be multiple facets of the human race represented in the films. But the ape narrative is fantastic, and Koba on the tank will be one of the great blockbuster moments of the year.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 4

• Community Manager

B+

I honestly think that's the highest score I can give this prequel series. Don't get me wrong: the movie's production is as good as they say, the writing is smart, and it's a good movie. At the same time, I don't really want to see this movie again: I can't imagine myself being able to truly enjoy this series.

Planet of the Apes is a classic and I enjoy it but that movie didn't really ask me to root against humanity. These prequel series...even if Caesar doesn't want it, it's going to lead to the downfall of human civilization and that...unsettles me so much that I can't help but wish the apes would all die.

You know it's not like this movie is really doing anything so revolutionary: we watch disaster and monster flicks for a reason but the thing this movie has is that we know that things don't work well out for us. Granted, I'm not saying I don't like bad endings but I like holding out on the hope that everything will turn out okay...and in those movies, I'm right 95% of the time. But with these movies, there is no hope.

And yes, you can say this movie is about the Apes and it very much is but I'm also a human being and I have a tendency to root for the survival and prosperity of my species. I get the series but I can't get behind it.

• Like 3

A- very good film, but I thought the human characters were underdeveloped. Keri Russell had nothing to do in the film. The apes were definitely the stars. Andy and Kobe did a very good job in their roles and I thought blue eyes was a very interesting character.On a side note, am I the only one who didn't see oldman's character as a villain. In the trailers it made it seem that way but to me he didn't seem like a villain at all. He gave Malcolm 2 days to fix the dam thing peacefully and then the apes suddenly the apes attack for seemingly no reason. Innocent humans were dying, so based on what he knew, blowing up the tower was an appropriate response.

• Like 1

On a side note, am I the only one who didn't see oldman's character as a villain. In the trailers it made it seem that way but to me he didn't seem like a villain at all. He gave Malcolm 2 days to fix the dam thing peacefully and then the apes suddenly the apes attack for seemingly no reason. Innocent humans were dying, so based on what he knew, blowing up the tower was an appropriate response.

I haven't been reading too many reviews, but it certainly seemed to me like the guy that snuck the gun in was more of a villain than Dreyfus. His perspective had of course been skewed by the Koba-led invasion, so it's certainly understandable that he wouldn't buy into Malcolm's story.

To Water Bottle's point, I really don't think this movie expects you to root against the humans. If anything, the apes come out looking worse, since they're the ones who draw first blood. 

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

• Community Manager

To Water Bottle's point, I really don't think this movie expects you to root against the humans. If anything, the apes come out looking worse, since they're the ones who draw first blood.

It expects us to root for the good apes. ;)

• Like 1

B+ tentatively.

The gulf between the number of interesting apes (Koba, Caesar, Maurice, Caesar's son) and the humans is a mark against the film IMO. You're either a saint in the films, or Gary Oldman/Kirk Acevedo, people who understandably have the right to be upset but so little development compared to a character like Koba. There needs to be multiple facets of the human race represented in the films. But the ape narrative is fantastic, and Koba on the tank will be one of the great blockbuster moments of the year.

What multiple facets though?  You had the kind and smart smart people that know they ultimately need to be good to the apes so they can both survive, or you have those that just want the humans to survive at any cost.

Both of those groups of people were presented very clearly and realistically.  I think anything that isn't one of those two groups would be dull and make the film drag.

Planet of the Apes is a classic and I enjoy it but that movie didn't really ask me to root against humanity. These prequel series...even if Caesar doesn't want it, it's going to lead to the downfall of human civilization and that...unsettles me so much that I can't help but wish the apes would all die.

That isn't Caesar's fault though.  He isn't the one leading the charge against the humans.  He didn't wipe out most humans with a virus, again, that was the humans fault.  He is protecting his kind, just like the humans are.  That's what is so great about this movie, I sympathize with both sides equally. 

And yes, you can say this movie is about the Apes and it very much is but I'm also a human being and I have a tendency to root for the survival and prosperity of my species. I get the series but I can't get behind it.

• Like 3

What multiple facets though?  You had the kind and smart smart people that know they ultimately need to be good to the apes so they can both survive, or you have those that just want the humans to survive at any cost.

Both of those groups of people were presented very clearly and realistically.  I think anything that isn't one of those two groups would be dull and make the film drag.

The fact that it's one or the other simply is distracting to me. Extermination or mutual cooperation and nothing in between? It makes the movie predictable with character's actions. Like you just knew Acevedo was going to fuck it up because he was an idiot with complete irrational understanding of the apes and it's telegraphed the whole way through. The constant underestimation of the apes by the survivalists also grows tiring. I assume there's more to Oldman's character but his part turned out to be surprisingly small so there's just not enough to build on there.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

The fact that it's one or the other simply is distracting to me. Extermination or mutual cooperation and nothing in between? It makes the movie predictable with character's actions. Like you just knew Acevedo was going to fuck it up because he was an idiot with complete irrational understanding of the apes and it's telegraphed the whole way through. The constant underestimation of the apes by the survivalists also grows tiring. I assume there's more to Oldman's character but his part turned out to be surprisingly small so there's just not enough to build on there.

So you would like some screen time devoted to people apathetic to everything going on?  Maybe some guys just sitting around talking about nothing related to the movie?  

I really don't get it.

• Like 1

So you would like some screen time devoted to people apathetic to everything going on?  Maybe some guys just sitting around talking about nothing related to the movie?  

I really don't get it.

I understand what he's getting at. Probably would've preferred some real character development for Acevedo, like learning to not fear the apes or something like that. 

Nonetheless, I didn't think it was a big deal. Some people in real life are just plain morons, as we know.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

I really don't get it.

No, I'm saying I would like human characters who aren't instantly classified as soon they spend one minute on the screen and are defined by this for the entire rest of the movie. You can have a character distrustful of the Apes but realizing cooperation is needed and still have them be integral to the story.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

Again pointing out the original series we root for the human in the first film and the second one too but by the 3rd the Apes are the true leads. This one will have to switch, Humans will have to be the leads soon. Thats why I almost wanted this film to end with all the humans killed and Koba holding Caesars head lol. That would have showed some balls. 

• Like 2

No, I'm saying I would like human characters who aren't instantly classified as soon they spend one minute on the screen and are defined by this for the entire rest of the movie. You can have a character distrustful of the Apes but realizing cooperation is needed and still have them be integral to the story.

I see what you're saying, but where would the conflict be in that scenario?  It makes for more of a grey character as opposed to the stark black and white seen in the movie, but I think thematically it wasn't what they were going for and wouldn't have really added anything to the story.

• Like 1

Again pointing out the original series we root for the human in the first film and the second one too but by the 3rd the Apes are the true leads. This one will have to switch, Humans will have to be the leads soon. Thats why I almost wanted this film to end with all the humans killed and Koba holding Caesars head lol. That would have showed some balls. 

I don't think I "rooted" for either side in the original.  Heston is kind of an asshole!

I don't see the humans becoming leads at all.  I think that the whole point of Dawn was to show that neither side wins or are the good guys/bad guys.  

• Like 1

Simply a damn good film.In many ways it is a flat-our insult to categorize this as a blockbuster. This a film in which it is best to go in blind. The story story unfolds in such an interesting manner that becomes more rewarding if you know very little before the viewing.Make no mistake, while there is ample action and effects this very much a story-driven affair. More specifically, it is the characters that drive the story here. I couldn't be more impressed with the dynamics on display here. Damn good stuff. Perhaps most interesting to me was the fact this film tended to focus on the similarities between the two species rather than the differences like in the first film. This evolution of viewpoint was simply perfect. With that mindset in hand, the proceedings became powerful. I wouldn't argue if one made the statement that the events on display were simply tragic as fuck.As for Caesar, he has never been better. Layers upon layers of character. He in fact serves as the human element that drives the film. A bit of poetic irony, if you will.Simply put....Caesar is the man (or ape).

Edited by mattmav45
  • Like 8

I don't think I "rooted" for either side in the original.  Heston is kind of an asshole!

I don't see the humans becoming leads at all.  I think that the whole point of Dawn was to show that neither side wins or are the good guys/bad guys.  

If they go 5 films deep I feel the humans will have to become the leads. Are you going to cheer for the humans to be wiped out and put in cages once Caesar is gone? 

• Like 1

If they go 5 films deep I feel the humans will have to become the leads.  Are you going to cheer for the humans to be wiped out and put in cages once Caesar is gone? 

I don't even know where to begin.  

So because I don't see the humans becoming leads, that means I'm going to cheer for them to be wiped out and put in cages?  

• Like 1