CJohn

Weeknd Official Est: Apes 2 - 73M | Friday Numbers and Saturday Numbers on Page 1

Gravity was the best use of 3D ever.Avatar was good too.But then there's the cash ins. I went to see Captain America 2 in IMAX and I don't know why I bothered. Good movie, but the 3D was basically non existent.

I didn't see Gravity or Avatar in 3D. 

Deadline:7th UPDATE, Saturday 10:15 PM: Apes is a hit with primates. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was down only about 9% from Friday night and now looks to be a mid-$70M grosser for the three-day weekend which is great news for Fox, director Matt Reeves and the rest of the filmmakers. Estimates have it grabbing $24.9M to $25.8M on Saturday for three-day weekend gross of anywhere between $72M and $74M. Like I said earlier, even the final game of The World Cup can’t keep it in the $60M range anymore. Well done, Fox.Meanwhile, the Michael Bay franchise Transformers: Age of Extinction reached the $200M threshold today for Paramount Pictures after its third week in release. It rode through the July 4th holiday well and obviously lost a lot of ground this weekend to Apes. It was down about 53% from last Friday which was the Fourth of July and is likely to drop about 55% from last weekend. So $6.7M today and $16.7M for the three day to raise its cume to $209.2M.The rest of the line-up is pretty much as predicted with Warner Bros. Tammy No. 3 and tracking on the high end of the estimate below for the three-day ($12.6M to $13.2M) and surprisingly is holding its own with about a $5M take on Saturday. Perhaps it is because it’s the only relatively new comedy out there right now. But the Cameron Diaz, Jason Segel comedy Sex Tape comes out next weekend so Tammy will likely be kicked to the curb. Sex Tape, which starts out raunchy, works and is actually hilarious at times. Hope it works for Sony.Speaking of Sony, 22 Jump Street may take in around $2.6M to $3M tonight to raise its cume to around $6.5M to $7.2M (which was better than expected this AM), and Fox/DreamWorks Animation’s How to Train Your Dragon 2 looks like it is rounding out the Top Five as family audiences chose that over Relativity’s Earth to Echo today. Dragon, with an estimated $2.35M to $2.5M gross today, simply out-shined Echo as the picture of choice for the kiddies. Echo unearthed about $2.3M and is expected to pull in about $5.8M for the three-day compared to Dragon‘s $6.2M. Disney soars in with Planes: Fire and Rescue next weekend that is surely to conquer the family market next weekend. That’s how it looks so far tonight and will update again in the AM.

• Like 2

Lol Gopher Apes may end up with way more than that.. Cap2 may fall. :)

Cap is still the best movie of the year by some distance no matter what though

I wouldn't say Cap was the best by some distance. Cap and Apes are two of the greatest film of all time. I honestly can't decide which one I like better. I'll have to watch them back-to-back when they come out on DVD to see. 

I wouldn't say Cap was the best by some distance. Cap and Apes are two of the greatest film of all time. I honestly can't decide which one I like better. I'll have to watch them back-to-back when they come out on DVD to see.

Even if I like a film I can never declare it's one of the best all time just after seeing it. I need another viewing a few months later
  • Like 2

I personally thought Gravity was better in 3D, from a theater and IMAX standpoint

Agreed. Gravity 3D tops Avatars. I remember being talked into seeing Gravity in 3D...glad I did.

I own both on blueray 3d and I can tell you you're both wrong :). Gravity did however work better on a larger screen because it actually made you feel like you were in space, but the 3D still doesn't have the depth Avatar did.

That is huge. Fox was estimating mid $50s and the most optimistics were talking about mid $60s. Apes rule, once again.

the first apes opened up to 54 million. I honestly doubt Fox was thinking this was going to open in the mid 50s as it is a sequel and it has 3d. People predicting in the 60's fine I can buy that. Most people here were thinking in the 70's and even above. So this is a very good opening but in my opinion it is not unexpected.
  • Like 5

the first apes opened up to 54 million. I honestly doubt Fox was thinking this was going to open in the mid 50s as it is a sequel and it has 3d. People predicting in the 60's fine I can buy that. Most people here were thinking in the 70's and even above. So this is a very good opening but in my opinion it is not unexpected.

Tracking made everyone's predictions drop a lot during last week. Most weren't expecting over 70M anymore. 

Saturday 

Dawn - 25.5 (-8%)

Transformers - 6.57 (+36%)

Tammy - 5.05 (+25%)

22 Jump Street - 2.62 (+28%)

Dragon - 2.32 (33%)

Earch to Echo - 2.14 (+22%)

Devlier us from Evil 1.80 (+15%)

Maleficent - 1.66 (+34%)

• Like 11

I am truly stunned that Tammy is holding this well.

I don't get it, either.

Tammy was the worst film I've seen this year by a pretty wide margin.  Not only was it 100% unfunny, but it was cheap looking and poorly shot, as well.   I thought the WOM would have been toxic and I was wrong.

• Like 1

Saturday Dawn - 25.5 (-8%)Transformers - 6.57 (+36%)Tammy - 5.05 (+25%)22 Jump Street - 2.62 (+28%)Dragon - 2.32 (33%)Earch to Echo - 2.14 (+22%)Devlier us from Evil 1.80 (+15%)Maleficent - 1.66 (+34%)

Low end of Rth estimates. Aww. But well, still a good number. Thanks spatula.