CJohn

Weeknd Official Est: Apes 2 - 73M | Friday Numbers and Saturday Numbers on Page 1

Update in between meetings as of now:

Dawn is at 3.8X Rise's number at the same POD.

Dawn is at 0.38X Godzilla's number at the same POD.

Dawn is at 0.67X Maleficent's number at the same POD.  

thanks.

that include midnights i guess?

Update in between meetings as of now:

Dawn is at 3.8X Rise's number at the same POD.

Dawn is at 0.38X Godzilla's number at the same POD.

Dawn is at 0.67X Maleficent's number at the same POD.  

That sounds really good, actually. Though Godzilla was in mid-May, so it's of course going to have lower matinee's by default. But at the same time Apes is also the type of movie to really pick up post 4pm and the fact that it is so far ahead of Rise is certainly a good thing.

Well, there's no chance Apes opens as high as Godzilla did, but it should have much stronger late shows than Maleficent.

• Like 1

I know it was all during different months and the previews started at different times, but fwiw : previews, ow, multiplier

CA2 10.1, 95.0, 9.4x

ASM2 8.7, 91.6, 10.5x

Godz 9.1x, 93.1, 10.2x

DoFP 8.1x, 90.8, 11.2x

TF4 8.75x, 98.5, 11.25x ..... :ph34r:

To get 55m, Dawn needs 13.4x

Maleficient's 16.5x (4.2, 69.4) gives it 67m. Though Maleficent was a non-sequel family film that grew 6% on Saturday (from full Friday).

So low 60s looks like the max for Apes. 55-60m likely. Sub 55m is possible.

Edited by a2k

Well, there's no chance Apes opens as high as Godzilla did, but it should have much stronger late shows than Maleficent.

$60-70 million seems possible. 

tbh I'd rather have a $70 million opener with good legs like Maleficent than another $90 million opener than just crashes and burns after one week.

• Like 1

I know it was all during different months and the previews started at different times, but fwiw : previews, ow, multiplierCA2 10.1, 95.0, 9.4xASM2 8.7, 91.6, 10.5xGodz 9.1x, 93.1, 10.2xDoFP 8.1x, 90.8, 11.2xTF4 8.75x, 98.5, 11.25x ..... :ph34r:To get 55m, Dawn needs 13.4xMaleficient's 16.5x (4.2, 69.4) gives it 67m. Though Maleficent was a non-sequel family film that grew 6% on Saturday (from full Friday).So low 60s looks like the max for Apes. 55-60m likely. Sub 55m is possible.

Apes will have a smaller Saturday bump for sure. Wonder how much of an effect the World Cup final will have on it.
  • Like 1

$60-70 million seems possible. 

tbh I'd rather have a $70 million opener with good legs like Maleficent than another $90 million opener than just crashes and burns after one week.

I dunno, I just don't see Apes having good legs.

I know the last one was well received and had a nice run but this whole sequel release and audience reception seems to have an overarching "who gives a shit?" vibe. Studio didn't try, audience doesn't care. Hence the barely there increase over first's OW.

Worst. Summer. Ever.

What are you talking about? With phenomenal movies like Maleficent and Trans4mers tearing up the box office, while awful movies like Edge of Tomorrow and Dragon 2 failing horribly, 2014 is easily the best summer for box office ever!!!!

Some very cool news:

RTH is coming to Toronto in September, presumably for the film festival.  We are more than likely going to meet up, maybe see a movie, have a few drinks, discuss what it's like to be a God. 

• Like 6