CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Sherlock Holmes 2 - 40M; Alvin 3 - 23.5M; Mission Impossible 4 - 13M

Good Gawd, the Fox spin for Chipmunks is every bit as bad as the WB spin. They're pulling out a bullshit argument about how people are too busy shopping to go to the movies right now. They might want to explain how I Am Legend opened to $70+ million over the same weekend four years ago. Idiots.

And their own Alvin 1 opened with 44M on the same weekend :lol: :lol:

How exactly did SH2 tanked when it will make over 500M worldwide on a 125M budget?

Lets see those $500 mio first. It tanked because nobody makes sequels so that they make elss money than the first movie. And I highly doubt that SH is a blockbuster merchandise franchise which is where real money comes from. If HP tanked, which it didn`t, WB would still rake in billions from toy&tie-in sales. SH is hardly a big trailer for new toy line,etc which most franchise movies are.

Lets see those $500 mio first. It tanked because nobody makes sequels so that they make elss money than the first movie. And I highly doubt that SH is a blockbuster merchandise franchise which is where real money comes from. If HP tanked, which it didn`t, WB would still rake in billions from toy&tie-in sales. SH is hardly a big trailer for new toy line,etc which most franchise movies are.

It needs less than 300M WW to breakeven. It didn't tank - it is a mild success.

"

It tanked because nobody makes sequels so that they make elss money than the first movie."

Disney's direct-to-video sequels prove you wrong, fishnets.

And before you reply that these flicks cost lest than their predecessors, know that I'm just screwing around.

Edited by Bitcher

Good Gawd, the Fox spin for Chipmunks is every bit as bad as the WB spin. They're pulling out a bullshit argument about how people are too busy shopping to go to the movies right now. They might want to explain how I Am Legend opened to $70+ million over the same weekend four years ago. Idiots.

To be fair, that was just before the economy went AWOL.I do agree, however, that interest has waned. The trailer should have been more about the menacing Moriarty (a la the Joker in TDK) instead of more of the same RDJ gags (*cough* IM2 *cough*).Imagine if the Joker took a backseat in TDK. It probably wouldn't have made half as much as it did!In any case, the studio execs can certainly hope for good holds during Christmas, so we'll wait and see.