baumer

Harry Potter dominated the box office for a decade, there will never be another series like it.

I don't know but I hope they will make a movie franchise about Ranger's Apprentice, it got 12 book and it also starts with a little boy.

I think it's a good book serie I realy enjoyed a lot of books of the serie

I agree. I really did like the Rangers Apprentoce series when I read it, and the books are very cinematic themselves, and I think would make for great movies. While I don't think the series works on the same emotional or intimate lever Potter did, they would make for a great blockbuster series!
  • Like 1

Harry Potter is not my favourite series of films.  In fact, out of the 8 films, there were maybe 2 I really enjoyed, 2 I really hated and the rest were just kind of ok, not terrible not great, in my opinion of course.  In most other's minds, Potters were like religious experiences.  But opinions aside, the box office speaks for itself.

Staring in 2001 Potter took the world by storm and destroyed the opening weekend record by almost 20 million.  And the most interesting thing about this is that this was based off a book.  When Batman was killing the box office a decade before, it had 50 years of comic book nerds just waiting to run to the box office to see a big screen version of it.  Potter was published 4 years earlier and built up a fanbase in such a short time.  When Philosopher's Stone opened to 90 million, it eclipsed even some of the biggest predictions.  Guru had it opening to 83 million, which already would have been a record, but 90 million was unheard of 13 years ago.

As the years went on, more books were published and the Potter fanbase stayed loyal.  Noctis asked the other day, and this is not verbatim, but he asked, "if you say that all or most 4th films fall from their third, then how do you explain Potter?"

It's a good question.  The 4th Potter, Goblet of Fire jumped 50 million domestically and 100 million WW.  My reason for this is simply because the third one dropped because the second was a bit of a let down.  But the fourth benefits from how well liked the third is.  The other thing is that when most recent fourth films drop, like Transformers and Jack Sparrow, they have changed part of their dynamic.  Different characters, different story, different dynamic.  Not Potter.  J.K. Rowling somehow kept the story going for all 7 books.  By the time the fourth one hit the theater, audiences were in love with Potter.  And they really didn't slow down.

The last 4 Potters hit 900 mill+ WW and of course the 8th and final film blew the doors off the midnight record book with 40 million in midnights.  This, imo, is a record that will never be touched.  The new Star Wars has the best chance at it, but I don't think it will come close.  Also, these films came out before the explosion of 3D and before the expanding Asian markets (Potter 8 did 60 million in China and doesn't even have a gross listed for PS in China). If the films had come out maybe even 5 years later, we might be looking at an Avengers type gross for the last one.

The biggest reason why imo, Potter will never be duplicated in terms of longevity is because the books remained popular as they came out very close together.  Fans were lined up at midnight to buy a freakin book.  Think about that.  A book caused a feverish panic.  That will probably never happen again.  

Now there will be the inevitable comparisons between Potter and other popular franchises.  LOTR, SW and Bond all have high grosses and great longevity.  But here's the thing about Bilbo and Vader.  They took time off in between their first three films and their last three.  Potter didn't.  Potter, for 10 straight years, just kept churning out 900 million dollar films, or close to it, year after year.  Franchises don't do that.  Spiderman drops, Marvel has had to build over the years and didn;t come in hot the way Potter did.  Pirates dropped off domestically and so did the Hobbit.

As for Bond, before Skyfall came out and hit a billion, the other films were good sized hits in North America, but not monster ones.  In fact, no Bond film had hit 600 mill WW before Skyfall, so the juxtaposition to Potter is moot.

Here are some Potter numbers, truly impressive.

Average gross domestically: 298 million

Average gross adjusted:  352 million

Average gross adjusted for 3D (taking out DH2):  376 million

Average gross WW:  965 million

Potter is a true anomaly and I'm not sure we'll see something like it again.  This is a series that sustained levels of popularity and box office that we have not seen before in consecutive movies over a 10 year period.  

Love it or hate it (I'm closer to hating it than loving it) but from a box office perspective, there is none greater.  I love SW and in a decade from now, if the next three films are just as big as the last three, then we can put it into the conversation, in fact, you could make an entire thread about SW and it's contribution to the box office.  But right now, in 2014, Potter, for longevity to box office ratio, it stands alone.

Baumer that isnt correct. James Camerons films will beat all the HPs by movie 4 my friend... And midnight record wont be broken.

Are you  so sure that the Battle Angel 1 or one of the Avatars wont be so loved that those massive fans wont shatter records by heading to the midnights.

Never is strong word Baum :)..

The greatest BO run is going to be Avatar without a doubt. Movie one nearly made half of the HP franchise. Most expect movie 2 to make 3-4B+ WW :)

How can HP keep up with that kind of BO might!

The MCU? 

MCU is the greatest franchise of them all Kalo, it will make over 500B at the BO alone... When your talking pound for pound and movie empires..

1. Avatar

2. Lord of the Rings(pound for pound HP never had a run like LOTR)

3. HP( 2nd if your going just by BO might of course)

Nothing will ever be able to take its place. Let's just get one thing clear.

MCU and DCU will be the biggest franchises of them all. But we will remember the HP years for sure..

Though its BO achievements will pay in comparison to the Juggernaut and its sequels to Pandora and beyond.

Going to be funny if its a JC film that breaks the midnight record... 40M midnight.... Wow thats a nice one to go after...

Avatar Saga Fans let me hear you knocking!!

F&F is really more notable for making stupid money with its 5th and 6th entries, but it started off small. Impressive, but in a different way.

I'd like to see something written on Bond, as well. If we're talking about longevity that franchise is the Holy Grail.

Bond is the greatest in terms of longetivity and overall lifespand indeed.

If I had to rank Kings books (and to be honest, everything I read in my teens (and 20s) by him, I pretty much loved, but here is my top 5.....btw...I love his Castle Rock stories....I love that Sheriff Pangburn in Needful Things got the job only because Sheriff Bannerman got eaten by Cujo.

1) IT

2) Needful Things

3) Christine

4) Cujo

5) The Dead Zone

My top books ages 4-9+

(1) Battlefield Earth

(2) Dead zone --Good Pick Baum

(3)Salems Lot. (Though the series I think is more frightening than the book)

(4) War of the Worlds

(5) Cujo

Edited by Superman001

I think DH1 is only popular with the fanbase.

I remember watching it with all my friends and found it like HBP. 

However we likely all have bad taste as we all liked Hp3 and Hp4 the most. 

However I do agree compared to Hp5 and 6, DH1 was much better. 

Favorite HP films were Goblet, HP3, DH2 :)..

The moment when HP is about to give it all up for his friends and total gives up to his fate of death is very very emotional to even a non HP moviegoer..Bravo on whoever directed + the screen play writer of DH2.

MCU and DCU will be the biggest franchises of them all. But we will remember the HP years for sure..

Though its BO achievements will pay in comparison to the Juggernaut and its sequels to Pandora and beyond.

Going to be funny if its a JC film that breaks the midnight record... 40M midnight.... Wow thats a nice one to go after...

Avatar Saga Fans let me hear you knocking!!

Box Office aside, Potter had this touch that extended beyond a suspension of disbelief for 2-3 hours, once every year or two.

It was a simultaneous growth that occurred between the characters and entire generation. The trio was there for people without even having to try. It's characters faced normal everyday problems that were so relatable.

• Like 1

Lol Baumer and Friends check this out:

Avatar Average Domestic Gross-600-700+M??

Average WW -Gross  2.5B to 3B+ ?? :wub:

How do you like those apples. :)

But, unless they were released and no one told me, they haven't come out yet.  So they have nothing to do with this conversation.

• Like 1

DH2's midnight record is safe. That was just as much lightening in a bottle as Avatar's initial run.

To misquote Descartes, "There ain't shit I know for sure"

But I know there's no JC film that will break the midnight record.

Being serious for a moment... Logically shouldn't everyone be expecting a sizable drop for Avatar 2?

I think Avengers 2 and Avatar 2 will have highly comparable drops.

Simple, we've seen the Heroes together before. It isn't a new commodity. Think of how hard it will be for a sequel to hit $500 domestic... That's a lot of money, even if the film is great.

It just isn't a commodity anymore, like Avatar's 3D. A 15% drop for Avengers 2 and something like 18% for Avatar 2 domestic.