baumer

Harry Potter dominated the box office for a decade, there will never be another series like it.

If done right, Dragonriders of Pern could be their next decade-dominating franchise like Harry Potter was for Warner Bros. I heard the books are really good.

Edited by Boxx93 of Winterfell
  • Like 1

Baumer, I love you so much for this.

I started coming to the forums on boxofficemojo when I was 14.  Now, I'm 25.  As weird as it sounds, these forums have a huge since of nostalgia for me.  At the beginning of summer and especially during the holidays, these forums become one of my favorite places to be.  

Now, take that nostalgia and multiply it times 1000 to get the the feelings the Potter series gives me.  We didn't have a bookstore in the town I grew up in (yes it was THAT small) but we did have a one screen theater.  When I was 12, I made my god sister go stand in line with me at that theater so I could buy a ticket for Sorcerer's Stone on opening day.  I saw all 8 Potter films opening day, and from 5 onward, I saw them all at midnight.  I would NEVER say that those of any age can't enjoy the series equally but I can't explain to you what it felt like growing year to year with those characters on screen.  It's really indescribable.  Especially for those of us who were awkward in our teenage years (and are probably still awkward now), we found friends.  We found classmates.  We found something we could relate to.  Each and every time I watch a Potter film, at some point I'm triggered to think back on that year of school or that age and I get lost in a place where the two worlds meet, the story of Harry along with my own.  Once a year, we KNEW there would be a new Potter story and even when the final book was completed, we could relive the magic (pun intended) onscreen.  What Rowling crafted is a once in a lifetime sort of thing, something that won't be duplicated for the Millennial generation.  And that is why the fan base was as loyal as it was, 8 films in.  It didn't feel like we chose the Potter story it felt like it chose us and we wanted to see it through.

• Like 6

This is weird, but in a way I miss Potter too.  There was always something cool about November coming around because you knew an event film was coming out.  I know we have Hunger Games now filling that void, but I don't sense the same excitement for those films even though they make more money here in NA.  But Potter had some of the biggest supporters/loonies around and that made it feel special.

• Like 7

I don't know but I hope they will make a movie franchise about Ranger's Apprentice, it got 12 book and it also starts with a little boy.

I think it's a good book serie I realy enjoyed a lot of books of the serie