baumer

Harry Potter dominated the box office for a decade, there will never be another series like it.

Baumer.In your early teenage years what books did you read? I can't think think of any books I read comparable to the "young adult" literature of the last 10 years.

All Stephen King books, anything he wrote, I read...others were Flowers in the Attic, a terrific Canadian author named Gordon Korman, who wrote the funniest book I've ever read called I Want to Go Home, and of course other horror authors like Barker, Straub and others.

• Like 2

I read things like thriller novels from Tom Clancy, Clive Cussler and Colin Forbes and SciFi from Clarke, Asimov and others. Also, The Hobbit, LOTR and the Narnia books. Before that I remember reading The Hardy Boys and The Three Investigator books.

• Like 1

I read things like thriller novels from Tom Clancy, Clive Cussler and Colin Forbes and SciFi from Clarke, Asimov and others. Also, The Hobbit, LOTR and the Narnia books.Before that I remember reading The Hardy Boys and The Three Investigator books.

Yea, I read Clancy and Grisham as well.

If I had to rank Kings books (and to be honest, everything I read in my teens (and 20s) by him, I pretty much loved, but here is my top 5.....btw...I love his Castle Rock stories....I love that Sheriff Pangburn in Needful Things got the job only because Sheriff Bannerman got eaten by Cujo.

1) IT

2) Needful Things

3) Christine

4) Cujo

5) The Dead Zone

• Like 2

If only you were 8 at the time of the first one, then you could see the magic. Harry Potter is Star Wars level world building. 

Before you kill me, Star Wars is fucking Star Wars and I in no way think Harry Potter is as good as a film. 

I almost liked your post, almost.

you should rename yourself to "it's a trap"

• Like 1

I never get why Hermonie and Harry weren't shipped, they made to much sense. I thought him and Ginny seemed awkward.

I was hoping Harry and Cho Chang could end up together, then HBP destroyed any hope left.

If I had to rank Kings books (and to be honest, everything I read in my teens (and 20s) by him, I pretty much loved, but here is my top 5.....btw...I love his Castle Rock stories....I love that Sheriff Pangburn in Needful Things got the job only because Sheriff Bannerman got eaten by Cujo.

1) IT

2) Needful Things

3) Christine

4) Cujo

5) The Dead Zone

I love Christine (my favourite book from him), The Stand, Misery, Pet's Sematary, Salem's Lot. Also liked Carrie, Gerald's Game and IT. Just bought the first 4 books in The Dark Tower saga, but till now the first one is pretty boring. Hope it gets better.

• Like 2

it's run was magnificent, no denying that, but if star wars VII is amazing. and they decide to do episodes X, XI and XII and keep up with the spin-offs it could out do it.  

Edited by KaloVisor

The books were marvelous but a little narratively safe, the movies were acceptable but rarely transcendent. Still did an incredible job of translating the world to film. Very cool growing up with the characters and actors.

Seven years ago, this day marked the beginning of the end of my childhood with the release of the last and final Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I ask that a moment of silence be taken to honor and remember this great and sad day.

Thank you, J. K. Rowling for an amazing piece of literature and history.

Thank you, Harry Potter for being an extra fuck and taking forever to kill Voldemort.

Thank you.

Posted Image

Edited by Claire Nolan Holt
  • Like 5

For literature, Harry Potter was a breath of fresh air and got millions of kids to get back into reading.  The movies... they probably should've waited a bit though.

Sorcerer's Stone was the most loyal to the book and, in my opinion, the best movie.

Chamber of Secrets was awkward due to the growing pains of the kid actors, still loyal to the book and a small step backwards.

Prisoner of Azkaban was not as great as people make it out to be.  Left a few things out of the plot that, while not necessary for the entire platform of the story, were needed to be more continual from scene to scene

Goblet of Fire was just crap from the beginning (missing the first four chapters of the book and not even including any scenes from the Quiddich World Cup).

Order of the Phoenix was only a little bit better, deviated from the book too much for my liking

Half-Blood Prince was okay, but still a turd

Deathly Hallows, part I was somewhat loyal, but didn't really flow smoothly

Deathly Hallows, part II was a big let down in the showdown between Potter and Voldemort.

Basically, the books were what got people into the theaters and then most of the audience was just going back to the movies to see how the series played out.  I think audiences were curious how they would work somethings out (like me) and were disappointed beyond measure.  It made gobs of money, for sure, but nothing anywhere close to cinematic classic and probably will be forgotten in 15 years if not sooner.

• Like 1

I love Christine (my favourite book from him), The Stand, Misery, Pet's Sematary, Salem's Lot. Also liked Carrie, Gerald's Game and IT. Just bought the first 4 books in The Dark Tower saga, but till now the first one is pretty boring. Hope it gets better.

Dolores Claiborne is possibly my favorite book period. I also love Pet Sematary, It, Carrie and many others. Clive Barker is my to go to guy for horror literature though.

• Like 1

I never get why Hermonie and Harry weren't shipped, they made to much sense. I thought him and Ginny seemed awkward.

Why would Hermonie choose Harry over Ron? There isn't much more appeal there. We knew since day 1 she would end up with Ron. 

Dolores Claiborne is possibly my favorite book period. I also love Pet Sematary, It, Carrie and many others. Clive Barker is my to go to guy for horror literature though.

My favourite horror author is John Saul. He's fuckin brillant. Even so, my fav horror book is 'Nightmare for Rent' by Serge Brussolo (his 'Krucifix' is also awesome, but these are the only two books I like from him).

Both books and movies worked less and less for me, the more Harry grew into the magical world. The draw for me (at least when I was younger) was the "going to school" stuff, the "every day" aspect of living in Hogwarts. 

The end-of-the-world-type evolution of the story was okay, but never generated the same outstanding fascination for me anymore (though worse in the movies where the magical daily life did not just become less but was also cut).