baumer

Harry Potter dominated the box office for a decade, there will never be another series like it.

My top books ages 4-9+

(1) Battlefield Earth

(2) Dead zone --Good Pick Baum

(3)Salems Lot. (Though the series I think is more frightening than the book)

(4) War of the Worlds

(5) Cujo

Riiiiiiiight

No way in hell you read any of those by age 9.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 4

I still don't get why people bring up MCU. That's basically 4 franchises brought together. There is no comparison. And anyway, the cultural impact of Harry Potter in general is faaaar greater than MCU's will ever be. We have Potter as mandatory reading in highschool, J.K. Rowling being the only 21st century writer, romanian or foreign, to have that.

Back to the BO, there's no other franchise out there to match it right now. Maybe SW, in a few years. I doubt Avatar will ever get a third or a fourth movie made. Cameron is too lazy.

• Like 2

Lol Baumer and Friends check this out:

Avatar Average Domestic Gross-600-700+M??

Average WW -Gross  2.5B to 3B+ ?? :wub:

How do you like those apples. :)

Avatar is only one film so far. and I see a huge decrease in it's upcoming sequels, especially if it's up against Star Wars.

Potter is nothing like any other franchise. We are talking about 8 straight blockbusters in one decade with the same cast of characters and actors for the most part. I'm not even a Potter fan and I can recognize the unique greatness in this. It spoke to a generation that grew up with the characters and actors.

• Like 5

Potter is nothing like any other franchise. We are talking about 8 straight blockbusters in one decade with the same cast of characters and actors for the most part. I'm not even a Potter fan and I can recognize the unique greatness in this. It spoke to a generation that grew up with the characters and actors.

As a Potter "hater", I completely agree.

• Like 1

He'll like them. I will be happy that he's enjoying himself. But I won't like them. :)

Do you like any of them? An odd question given that if you didn't really like them, and there are 8 of them, you probably stopped watching after 2nd or 3rd entry. Hell, I would've...

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

Do you like any of them? An odd question given that if you didn't really like them, and there are 8 of them, you probably stopped watching after 2nd or 3rd entry. Hell, I would've...

No, I watched them all, sometimes just out of morbid curiosity. :lol: Also, I managed to snag free screenings for a few of them. I also read all the books (though that was more of a bet with a friend than anything else). The best of them is Cuaron's, the worst are Columbus', the rest are a mostly forgettable mash of mediocre/OK. Honestly, I have trouble telling any of the middle ones apart.

DH1 was better, pacing-wise, than most of the others, I just didn't particularly like how they split things up. At least I remember (and even like!) a couple moments from it. I was expecting more from DH2 but wasn't particularly wowed.

• Like 1

That's what I was going to say. Each of the franchises mentioned before are different from each other. Warner was able to make eight straight-sequels over a very short time period and managed to keep up the interest of the GA.

Avatar has already lost the battle on the time lapse and number of entries. LOTR is a big franchise, but it's basically two trilogies with their own cast and plot, that just happen to share many aspects. And again, the time lapse between TROTK and AUJ 'invalidates' it. Star Wars has a much tighter storyline than LOTR, but they did change the cast, and the trilogies have come many years after the previous ones. Which is an achievement in itself, but of a different kind.

The MCU is very special, but for being a giant net of individual films interconnected, which is a very different situation. Fast and Furious comes fairly close, but it's hasn't kept the same cast all the time, and it's taking them more time to produce the films (both HP and F&F started in 2001). The X-Men franchise is mix of all these cases.

Edited by The47th
  • Like 1