CJohn

Weekend Estimates: The Purge 28.3M | Apes 36M | Sex Tape 15M | Planes 18M | Godzilla 470k +91% 198.9m!!! | More Numbers on Page 1

Considering we're now well into the summer (compared to early June), I doubt it.

The first one's internal multiplier was heavily effected by the huge online hype leading up to the film.

This one won't be.

Pardon me for not paying close enough attention but do the Friday estimtates not become actuals on Saturday afternoon?

not all theatres are collected (we are talking hundreds) and further more audited (ie if something happens to go in at 10k instead of 1k or vice versa) till monday. When missing grosses are collected ,corrections made, estimates for anything can't get by the deadline etc  The rest of the week people are at work so figures from monday night get worked on Tues am.

Also Matinee/hourly  tracking is only for max of 1/2 theatres, so say extropolating from a 2pm number what the whole day might look like  may only be based on for example 2000 of 4000 theatres

Edited by Rth
  • Like 10

Good number for Apes2!But if 10.5 is the high end is 38mil weekend still possible?

So far Apes has continually been going towards the high end (or even above it), hopefully that trend continues.
  • Like 2

I assume they like the sense of expectancy the delay gives and the latitude to shift numbers over the three days. Obviously, there's plenty of people at work at the studios from Fri - Sun.

lol its called getting out of bed early on Sat/sunday morning or staying up till 3am in the morning, boot up you computer look at numbers, work out an estimate give it to media etc..Then go back to bed or have breakfast and go play golf or something.

• Like 2

lol its called getting out of bed early on Sat/sunday morning or staying up till 3am in the morning, boot up you computer look at numbers, work out an estimate give it to media etc..Then go back to bed or have breakfast and go play golf or something.

You've succeeded in making me feel guilty. My (admittedly uninformed) view of studio operations was rather like a large bank where you always have a core of people on the clock monitoring incomings and outgoings.

Blame Canada. We expect bureaucracies even where they don't exist.

• Like 2

Amazing how everyone knew Sex Tape was going to open softly AFTER the Friday number is reported.

I left it off my top 15 cause I didn't think it would do well. Good call for once. Course my planes 2 predict makes up for that. :/ Edited by narniadis

With me.

Posted Image

Edited by Claire Nolan Holt
  • Like 3

Amazing how everyone knew Sex Tape was going to open softly AFTER the Friday number is reported.

I figured it would do well since it seemed to have a lot for going until the weekend came along. But in the end, it had almost everything working against it so, yeah, I can't say I'm too surprised.

If you'd like some future knowledge, I can tell you that Lets Be Cops will be a lot bigger than Sex Tape, TMNT will open to over 40M (maybe even over 50), and there's a chance that If I Stay might even open bigger than Sin City 2.

(Of course, my future knowledge also told me that HTTYD2 was going to be a lot bigger than it was.)

Now raise your hand if you've even heard of If I Stay.