CJohn

Weekend Estimates: The Purge 28.3M | Apes 36M | Sex Tape 15M | Planes 18M | Godzilla 470k +91% 198.9m!!! | More Numbers on Page 1

BO.com's estimates of total negative cost: Spidey: $330,000,000'zilla: $225,000,000 From where I'm sitting, TASM2 looks like the failure domestically.

Failure domestically means nothing. One big pot.

Since like...forever.How bout another...studios make more off a movie that does 100m domestic, 200m worldwide...than 40m domestic, and 200m worldwide.

Of course they make more when they make more money. LOL

Theaters get a bigger cut of the initial 2 weekends, then it swings toward theater owners. It changes from studio to studio and movie to movie, but that is normally how it works

Hence why when really leggy movies hit (Avatar, Frozen), the theaters love them.

• Like 1

Based on this article it doesn't look like theater owners get a lower share in this era.

http://www.rogerebert.com/letters/david-poland-explains-the-mystery-of-ticket-prices

From David Poland, editor of Movie City News.com, Los Angeles, CA:

Studios went to a 55% flat rate of ticket share almost 10 years ago. That's one of the reason why films don't play as long. There is no incentive to hold them over. With something like "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," as the film kept running, the theaters got larger and larger percentages,

So if a new movie was looking for a screening at 90/80/70/60 in the first 4 weekends and could draw 4000 people over those 4 weekends, it might generate less than $8250 for the theater, aside from concessions.

(Math - 2000 in wk 1, 20k gross, 2k to theater... 1000 in wk 2, 10k gross, 2K to theater, 750 in wk 3, 7500 gross, 2250 to theater, 500 in wk 4, 5000 gross, 2000 to theater = $8250 to theater.)

"Greek Wedding" may be drawing only 2000 people over those weeks in its third month of playing, but at 50/50, the theater could earn, say, $10,000. Even with concessions, there was motivation to go with the older, less popular movie. There were even cases, it is said, when "Greek Wedding" paid only 40% in rentals to the distributor.

The other consideration is that with multiplexes in the 90s, there would be larger and much smaller houses, so an AMC could accommodate "Greek Wedding" in a 200 seat house and the big new movie in the 450 seat house.

As the studios frontloaded the theatrical, looking for the giant opening weekends instead of long runs, the financial benefit moved so much to the studios, whose films were running for fewer and fewer weeks, that exhibitors rebelled against 90/10 and down. The number for studio movies was averaging about 55/45, so they junked 90/10 and reducing and went to the flat, with a flat rate for house nut.

So now, when a movie is still doing well in week 5, it still loses theaters -- unless it's going VERY well -- because every weekend, new movies will come in with massive ad campaigns behind them and the multis can accordion out for the first weekend, putting films on 2 or 3 screens or as many as 10 or 12... and take advantage of the marketing that first weekend, then cut back to 1 or 2 or 3 screens on the second weekends. But there is still no room for long-legged film, because they don't pay more and they don't draw in those opening weekend pumped up numbers.

Hope this makes sense.

Godzilla did good at the box office. It more than tripled it's production budget and it did really well in NA. This isn't another Pacific Rim people. This movie needed to make $380M to break even, it did that and more. A lot of the reasons for the movie's bad legs was that a huge Blockbuster like X-Men:DOFP opened the very next week, I don't care if you guys keep saying that had nothing to do with, it clearly had a lot to do with it. DOFP opened to $90M+ DOM and $170M OS. Plus the fact that when it was released in China, it has just 2 weeks before the monstrous TF4 came. It would have done easily 90+ in China if it had a normal release like any movie. The movie faced HUGE competition and the WOM clearly didn't help. But I'm 100% confident if the movie was given a better release date without too much competition it woukd have crossed $230M DOM and $600M WW. I had to get that off my chest. I hope the sequel is even better and performs stronger. I think the sequel should get the weekend before the 4th of July just like the Transformers films.

• Like 1

Godzilla did good at the box office. It more than tripled it's production budget and it did really well in NA. This isn't another Pacific Rim people. This movie needed to make $380M to break even, it did that and more. A lot of the reasons for the movie's bad legs was that a huge Blockbuster like X-Men:DOFP opened the very next week, I don't care if you guys keep saying that had nothing to do with, it clearly had a lot to do with it. DOFP opened to $90M+ DOM and $170M OS. Plus the fact that when it was released in China, it has just 2 weeks before the monstrous TF4 came. It would have done easily 90+ in China if it had a normal release like any movie. The movie faced HUGE competition and the WOM clearly didn't help. But I'm 100% confident if the movie was given a better release date without too much competition it woukd have crossed $230M DOM and $600M WW.I had to get that off my chest. I hope the sequel is even better and performs stronger. I think the sequel should get the weekend before the 4th of July just like the Transformers films.

I agree with some of what you are saying but no way will the sequel do better. Not just because of mixed WOM of this one but because it has no novelty factor whatsoever

Edited by John Marston

no way will the sequel do better. Not just because of mixed WOM of this one but because it has no novelty factor whatsoever

If it had less competition, it would easily do better. I'm confident the sequel will double its Chinese gross. The sequel should very easily have a higher WW total.

If it had less competition, it would easily do better. I'm confident the sequel will double its Chinese gross. The sequel should very easily have a higher WW total.

but again, there is no reason for it to do better. There will be nothing new in a sequel that will attract audiences. It will just be Godzilla fighting another monster. 

but again, there is no reason for it to do better. There will be nothing new in a sequel that will attract audiences. It will just be Godzilla fighting another monster. 

By this logic Superhero films should've died out years ago.

• Like 2

Godzilla did good at the box office. It more than tripled it's production budget and it did really well in NA. This isn't another Pacific Rim people. This movie needed to make $380M to break even, it did that and more. A lot of the reasons for the movie's bad legs was that a huge Blockbuster like X-Men:DOFP opened the very next week, I don't care if you guys keep saying that had nothing to do with, it clearly had a lot to do with it. DOFP opened to $90M+ DOM and $170M OS. Plus the fact that when it was released in China, it has just 2 weeks before the monstrous TF4 came. It would have done easily 90+ in China if it had a normal release like any movie. The movie faced HUGE competition and the WOM clearly didn't help. But I'm 100% confident if the movie was given a better release date without too much competition it woukd have crossed $230M DOM and $600M WW.I had to get that off my chest. I hope the sequel is even better and performs stronger. I think the sequel should get the weekend before the 4th of July just like the Transformers films.

a delusional fanboy, nothing to see here

1. DOFP wasn't "huge"

2. Way bigger movies coexisted in the past

3. it dropped fucking 66% in Memorial Day weekend, fucking awful not matter how you spin it

4. the multiplier is out of this world bad, x2.15 is hated territory.

5. what was the competition aside from DOFP? 

6. 230m DOM and 600m WW? lol 

7. they couldn't get a better release date than they did for the first Godzilla

I wouldn't be surprised if Godzilla 2 did something like 120-130m

Edited by Goffe

By this logic Superhero films should've died out years ago.

Frankly, they should.  They're repetitive, boring, cliched, and totally unimaginative.  Is anyone really going to shed a tear if CA 231283080480 doesn't get made?  Or Iron Man 384023402308??  

Frankly, they should.  They're repetitive, boring, cliched, and totally unimaginative.  Is anyone really going to shed a tear if CA 231283080480 doesn't get made?  Or Iron Man 384023402308??  

Box office numbers say otherwise.

• Like 1

You have a life time supply of glue from all those dead horses, don't you?

• Like 4

Box office numbers say otherwise.

Dunno know about that.  $230 million for DOFP sounds great, until you realize it cost 170 million to produce and probably another 90 million to market.  

Compare that to legit, original movies like Neighbors or Fault in Our Stars, which have ROI of 400-500%.    

What have we had, something like 100 YA movies over the past decade? You must absolutely HATE them. They're all so repetitive, old adults are always telling those poor teenagers what to do. Luckily the teens always know better.

• Like 7

Dunno know about that.  $230 million for DOFP sounds great, until you realize it cost 170 million to produce and probably another 90 million to market.  

Compare that to legit, original movies like Neighbors or Fault in Our Stars, which have ROI of 400-500%.    

There's also overseas. Films like DOFP and TWS do much better overseas than Fault or Neighbors.

I loved Godzilla, but it didn't do well at the box office. Its legs have been disastrous almost EVERYWHERE. In the majority of markets, the film had multipliers between 1.9-2.3.WoM was clearly very mixed. Anyone who says the movie was a success is not seeing the full picture...or is purposefully ignorant. A real shame its legs were so atrocious.

• Like 1

I loved Godzilla, but it didn't do well at the box office. Its legs have been disastrous almost EVERYWHERE. In the majority of markets, the film had multipliers between 1.9-2.3.

WoM was clearly very mixed. Anyone who says the movie was a success is not seeing the full picture...or is purposefully ignorant.

A real shame its legs were so atrocious.

You're mostly right, but the part in red is wrong. It may not be uktra huge, but it did well enough at the box office.

• Like 1