Ash Skywalker

Mad Max: Fury Road OS Thread | $221.1m OS | $374.7m WW

350 is happening but it will crawl to reach it.

Ya, it ran out of GAS.

Still a good run but NO legs at all.

Could have been much worse. 

In the end it will settle for a slight 50 million dollar loss which isn't bad.

How do you figure the 50m loss?

150m production budget.

55% of 150m domestic (estimated) = $82.5m

45% of 200m overseas (estimated) = $90m

172.5m back to Warners (and their partners).

If you want to count P&A costs, you should also ballpark ancillary revenues: usually those balance each other out pretty well.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 2

How do you figure the 50m loss?

150m production budget.

55% of 150m domestic (estimated) = $82.5m

45% of 200m overseas (estimated) = $90m

172.5m back to Warners (and their partners).

If you want to count P&A costs, you should also ballpark ancillary revenues: usually those balance each other out pretty well.

150 + (so called) 50 million for marketing = 200 million

Break even would be 400 million right?

it will gross 350 at worst I think.

I see what your saying though. 

And I hear there is a tax credit from the Aussie government as well.

One thing is for sure it did great for such ambitious project.

Thanks for pointing that stuff out. That's why I like this board, people seem to understand things.

Edited by Mitch
  • Like 1

Whatever the profit ends up being, MMFR is fading quickly. 

Not if you see it against it's genre. For example: It is beating the daily of 300 for the same amount of days in theaters.

150 + (so called) 50 million for marketing = 200 million

Break even would be 400 million right?

it will gross 350 at worst I think.

I see what your saying though. 

And I hear there is a tax credit from the Aussie government as well.

One thing is for sure it did great for such ambitious project.

Thanks for pointing that stuff out. That's why I like this board, people seem to understand things.

Marketing is probably over 100m, easily... most major tentpoles spend more like 120-160m WW on marketing. But then, to counter that, there are all these revenue streams we never see: domestic and OS home video, VOD, premium TV, cable TV, network TV, etc etc. In the glory days of the DVD boom a decade ago, that was a huge cash cow. Now, home video profits have really dwindled.... but there's still enough, collectively, to counter most (if not all) the marketing costs.

The real way to generate long-term profits is through a studio's library of titles. So once you get all the upfront costs covered, it's a collective slow, steady trickle of money.

I heard that a Chinese company bought the rights for $3M and intends to release in October, not confirmed.

Pls

By then would it no longer be hip and thus bomb? How's pirating of movies there? Looking at the person selling me $5 rips on the corner, it doesn't look good LOL.

Pls

By then would it no longer be hip and thus bomb? How's pirating of movies there? Looking at the person selling me $5 rips on the corner, it doesn't look good LOL.

Because of the restrictions on releases this may have been their only option but if it does well enough even without money going to WB it still might mean something for sequel

From BO:

"Mad Max: Fury Road guzzled down $4.9 million in international sales this weekend from 56 territories. The universally acclaimed action flick has grossed $202.5 million overseas and $346.1 million globally. Japan opened this weekend to an estimated $2.1 million on 660 screens to take second place behind Long Live! The School Idol Movie. "

People actually believe that 150M production budget? :)

Of course we have no real way of knowing. Way back when the movie wrapped production (at least principal photography), the budget mentioned was around $100-125m. We know it went over that, and we know WB also decided to spend an additional $12m or so to amp up the beginning and part of the climax. So $150m seems to be the figure everyone settled on.

Edited by Telemachos

I think Warner would have greenlighted a sequel even with 300m WW. The rave reviews and enthusiastic response plus 365-370m WW is a very good way to start the franchise. Its more impressive the 150m+ DOM than the 200m+ OS though. The sequel could potentially go way higher.

Edited by picores
  • Like 3