Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

GOTG will connect with kids the way TA did.  I wouldn't be surprised if this thing has massive legs.

I was pretty impressed that someone like James Gunn, with his rather vulgar previous filmography, so willingly embraced the kid-friendly space movie tone here; bad language aside.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

changing that to high end , although think need a good push to get there, looking like matinees were slightly higher than though they would beatm going lower and go with 36.6-40,late afternoon WC  most had 38 as low end and just over 40 high

To bad the range went down, but 36.6-40 would still be great for it!
  • Like 1

Why?

Agree with Panda, why?

Marvel plays very well with the west coast crowd

Just a feeling, lol. Hope it goes up. But wouldn't be surprised if it went down slightly.

Come on Tele, you know better than that.

The characters before the movie were total unknowns and the tone and feel of the movie have some originality.

Most people dismissed the movie when it was announced because the characters seemed so far out there.

Do I have to remind you this has a talking tree and a fast and furious rancoon who likes big guns ?

Compared to what Hollywood is proposing right now, GOTG is unique, fresh original and cool.

I'm not using "original" or "not original" in any derogatory way. GOTG is based on a long-running series from Marvel. It's not original. Which is fine, it has no bearing on the quality of the movie. But it's not original.

• Like 1

Just a feeling, lol. Hope it goes up. But wouldn't be surprised if it went down slightly.

Would you say you were hooked on a feeling

*Sees RTH post*

Damn you ECSTASY, you win this round

Edited by MrPink

changing that to high end , although think need a good push to get there, looking like matinees were slightly higher than though they would be

atm going lower and go with 36.6-40,late afternoon WC  most had 38 as low end and just over 40 high

So.... 33m, amirite?

*fingers crossed*

changing that to high end , although think need a good push to get there, looking like matinees were slightly higher than though they would be

atm going lower and go with 36.6-40,late afternoon WC  most had 38 as low end and just over 40 high

Posted Image

• Like 4

So.... 33m, amirite?

*fingers crossed*

PDATED, Friday 6:02 PM: More numbers are rolling in for Guardians of the Galaxy right now which is on track at the moment to take in anywhere from $33M to $36M tonight for a three-day weekend that is right now in the $88M to $95M range and will get a better idea in a couple of more hours so stay tuned, but this looks to be the case at the moment. Matinees have ended incredibly strong. Regardless, this is another great hit for the daring duo of Disney/Marvel. Stay tuned.

I can't imagine it not reaching at least 36m though. This article is projecting lower than others. 

Would you say you were hooked on a feeling

*Sees RTH post*

Damn you ECSTASY, you win this round

LOL I didn't even see RTH's post. I was just looking at the lack of sell outs.

• Like 1

GotG - 92% on RT, a fairly good chance at $100 million+ OW, The fact that it's original (to the general public) should keep the drop less than 55% 

TMNT - likely sub 50% on RT (sub 30% possible too), a solid chance at $35-45 million OW

TMNT came across as a complete kiddie movie to me until I found out it was PG-13. Plus, I can't see too many females wanting to see TMNT (GotG has Chris Pratt, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper - the thing is a chick magnet lol. TMNT has really strange looking turtles and Will Arnett... plus Step Up All In however small its gross is) or adults over 25-30 (Get On Up, Hundred Foot Journey, Into the Storm, Lucy, GotG... they have way too many options to randomly pick TMNT of all things) 

I'd say the Guardians are more than a match for the Turtles. $45 million OW, $130 million DOM are solid goals for TMNT domestically considering everyone considered it a dumped release before summer started. 

But TMNT doesn't have as wide appeal with the GA as you think. It will come close to beating GotG but probably fall just short

I think your forgetting whos the 10billion+  Franchise and who are the new kids on the block my friend.

LOL

Looks like I'm a jinx. :ph34r:

Well, $36-40m is still fantastic. Hoping it ends up at $38m which is the first number I saw and was like HOLY FUCK.

Really though, I should perhaps not say anything at all!

What I did want to say, because it's still going to make at least $90m, what K1tspierre said before, is I'm like picking up my brain off the walls. How did this happen? It's glorious, but how?!?! I'm glad it's doing well because 1) it looked good 2) good reviews 3) behind httyd2, eot and dotpota for most anticipated of summer

I'm glad from what you guys have said it's also a departure from the typical Marvel stuff so it looks great.

Hope to see it today.

And so it will continue, GOTG bad legs, not guaranteed $260 much less $200m, won't beat TF4. TMNT gonna kill it with $100m OW too.

That should do it. Thank me later B)

^^^ Aaaahahahah hahaaaahhh.Estasy baby s hooked on a feeellinggggggggg!!!!

" Shes in love with Rockett Racoon and meeeeeeeeeee!" Hooked on a feelinggg!"  LOL