Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

RDJ dominated his movie as Tony Stark. No one came out talking about anyone or anything else let alone anyone being better.  The same cannot be said for Pratt who to be fair is more a part of an ensemble piece .  Guardians is closer to The Avengers in terms of characters than the solo movies but even in The Avengers RDJ to quote hims dominated like a horny gorilla..

In terms of just performance a characters -  I'd actually rank Evans up there with RDJ in defining his character and I think Rogers being so straight laced is about the hardest lead to play and still be crowd pleasing in the era that loves a smart mouthed bad boy.  One of CA2's strengths is that he also made the character a believable bad ass without losing that innate good two shoes-ness.

Hemsworth is fantastic as well as Thor - he should hasn't had the film yet to truly dominate.  I think as mentioned earlier it's a good idea to play up his relationship with The Warriors 3 and give him his own ensemble like Stark and Rogers have instead of so much being centered around dull Jane and her human crew.

They are holding back Thor so bad, it's not even funny. Right now, if they were to kill him off, I wouldn't really lose sleep over it, or have this hating urge to boycott future movies like I would if they did kill off Tony or Steve. I attribute this to Thor just not getting as well developed as the others. And quite frankly, when there is a Thor movie or when he's around in The Avengers, he is constantly getting upstaged by the far more charismatic Tom Hiddleston/Loki. Shit, poor Thor, he even gets smack talk by Captain America "There is only one God in my book, and he don't dress like that" and then he gets punched off screen by The Hulk. Yeah, it's funny, but at the same time, if I was a hardcore Thor fan, I think I would be pissed at how he is being treated in the movie verse.

But, I stand my ground on Chris Pratt. He's going to be built up to take over Robert Downy Jr's stance as the smart mouth who likes to stir trouble, when RDJ bows out.

• Like 1

Not really. Most of their shirtless scenes were either unnecessary or could be done with their shirt on. :)

I forgot to add James Bond to the list.

Well sure. But those males still had more to do in the film than just stand there shirtless.

• Like 2

I'm a man, I am not a feminist, and *I* find that shit irritating because it's wasting a potentially good character.Alice Eve in STID fucking pissed me off, all she did was strip to her undies, spout some exposition, scream when she got transported off the Big Bad Warship, and scream in slo-mo when Cumberbatch killed Admiral Robocop. Fuck that noise, the original Carol Marcus was a three-dimensional female character who you could have imagined going toe to toe with Kirk on an intellectual level, and this wannabe was just eye candy with a British accent. Again, it pissed me off not just because it was sexist, but because they absolutely wasted the opportunity to actually make the young Carol Marcus a compelling character who I could buy as eventually growing up to be the Carol Marcus from Wrath of Khan.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 4

Yep. I guess that's why Chewbacca and Bayformers Bumblebee are such hits!

Bumblebee talks.  Groot is obviously modeled after Chewy, so that makes sense.

• Like 1

I don;t give a fuck what men think. The BO didn't suffer the slightest with the shirtless/ass shots of the men.

You just completely dismissed the fact that males get turned into sex objects just like women do in movies... a shirtless/ass shot is no different from a girl in a bra and panties (or bikini) in terms of making them an object. 

I agree that women shouldn't just be eye candy or a love interest (there's quite a few characters these days that contradict those - Katniss, Elsa, Black Widow, Lucy, Maleficent, Gamora, Mystique, etc) but you can't deny that shirtless shots of guys do indeed turn them into objects,

You could also look at all of those daytime talk shows with some middle-aged female host drooling over a bunch of ripped, shirtless guys she had come to her show - women definitely don't turn men into objects, right?  :rolleyes: for the record, I've never seen a modern male talk show host have random women in bikinis come onto the show and see him drooling. Price is Right is the closest I've seen these days and they have male models too now. 

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 3

True about the minorities. I was telling some fellow Black co-workers about the upcoming Star Wars, and they were quick to respond "Meh, Star Wars is too white!" And when I told them Lupita and John Boyega are going to be in it, they responded "either as the villain or to be the first ones wasted, so again, meh!"

What the hell? And what do they gonna say about LOTR then. I'm black and what always appealed to me in SW universe is that any color can be represented and nobody would give a fuck, there were white, black, asian and so on rogue squadron pilots. I mean frickin' Lando Calrissian blew up the second Death Star man.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

Not really. Most of their shirtless scenes were either unnecessary or could be done with their shirt on. :)

I forgot to add James Bond to the list.

Same could be said with the naked women running around in so many films. One of the biggest offenders would have to be X-Men First Class.

RDJ dominated his movie as Tony Stark. No one came out talking about anyone or anything else let alone anyone being better.  The same cannot be said for Pratt who to be fair is more a part of an ensemble piece .  Guardians is closer to The Avengers in terms of characters than the solo movies but even in The Avengers RDJ to quote hims dominated like a horny gorilla..

In terms of just performance a characters -  I'd actually rank Evans up there with RDJ in defining his character and I think Rogers being so straight laced is about the hardest lead to play and still be crowd pleasing in the era that loves a smart mouthed bad boy.  One of CA2's strengths is that he also made the character a believable bad ass without losing that innate good two shoes-ness.

Hemsworth is fantastic as well as Thor - he should hasn't had the film yet to truly dominate.  I think as mentioned earlier it's a good idea to play up his relationship with The Warriors 3 and give him his own ensemble like Stark and Rogers have instead of so much being centered around dull Jane and her human crew.

Thor is front and center in both Thor movies, obviously. If he "hasn't had the film yet to truly dominate," then maybe we should all just accept that he's not that interesting. 

• Like 2

No they are not! I don't think you even really comprehend what Mary Sue means.

Trust me, I do. I used to read romantic fictions and Mary Sue was one of the most popular topics on the romance novel's message boards. A Mary Sue doesn't have to be a physically weak character.

Thor is front and center in both Thor movies, obviously. If he "hasn't had the film yet to truly dominate," then maybe we should all just accept that he's not that interesting. 

I refuse to accept that. A good story can make anybody interesting. And actually he wasn't all that front and center in Thor 2. Jane and her friends got a lot of screentime.

• Like 3