Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

I know, Im just bord of seeing everything stall out. Not saying I want GOTG to duplicate IM, $318 is very tough, but even $278M is satisfying. At least its $20M higher than everything else this year and not clumped in the typical range. Just growing better legs and pulling that extra $20M would be cherry.

Well $250m wouldn't be the typical range. Only two films this year are over that.  I don't think T4 will get there after this weekend, looks like it will stall out in the 40s.

• Like 1

By the way, there were a lot of families at my Guardians showing yesterday. Much more so than any of the other Marvel Cinematic Universe movies on their opening weekends. Strange.

It's very colorful and fun and a wisecracking bad ass raccoon and his house plant muscle are going to appeal to the kids.  I really think they could have done the movie with just those two as the main characters and it would have opened big. Disney is probably making another fortune on those rocket toys and stuffed animals.

Edited by TalismanRing

My statement had nothing to do with the quality of the film division or the output of that film division.  I was referring to the corridors of power within the greater Walt Disney Company.

But those films are a big reason Disney is maintaining their loyalty. Behind-the-scenes politics just don't matter as much to average people as the end product trying to entertain them.

I know there were/are some pretty bad dealings going on at Pixar (and that wage-fixing allegation is pretty disconcerting), but I can't hate them as long as they keep making products I love.

• Like 1

Agreed. Especially if we're talking about Walt Disney World. Disneyland seems to still be doing great. The film division has a lot of talent there. And the purchase of The Muppets, Pixar, Marvel, and LucasFilm were all great purchases. Iger has done some things well. But, hiring Rich Ross was a mistake, the Next Gen debacle at Walt Disney World is a financial mistake, and there is way too much worry about short term gains for the stock price than making smart long term moves.

Still, there is so much great IP there that the foundation is there for greatness. They just need to focus more on the long term.

You nailed it.  The Walt Disney World resort is on a downward spiral and that Next Gen debacle which cost upwards of 1.2 BILLION dollars has resulted in deferred maintenance and a host of other sad developments.  If Iger has his way, the Parks and Resorts division would have been sold off by now. 

• Like 1

It's very colorful and fun and a wisecracking bad ass raccoon and his house plant muscle are going to appeal to the kids.  I really think they could have done the movie with just those two as the main characters and it would have opened big. Disney is probably making another fortune on those rocket toys and stuffed animals.

And the Star Lord toys. And that's just from WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot. Imagine what they're making when you add in everyone else that is purchasing that merchandise

• Like 2

But those films are a big reason Disney is maintaining their loyalty. Behind-the-scenes politics just don't matter as much to average people as the end product trying to entertain them.

I know there were/are some pretty bad dealings going on at Pixar (and that wage-fixing allegation is pretty disconcerting), but I can't hate them as long as they keep making products I love.

My comments were in no way trying to get you to hate Disney/Pixar/Marvel films.  I love most of them myself.  A lot of talented people put their hearts and souls into those projects and I see nothing wrong with loving them.  

• Like 3

My expectations are good, well actually I dont have any since the highest I had this going was $180M. I just wanna see a 2014 summer blockbuster (thats not Mal) grow some good late legs.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 1

People don't like to hear this about Disney but the current regime under Bob Iger is probably the most insidious of all the major film studios.  The entire company is built solely around driving the stock-prices up and pleasing the shareholders and nearly every executive is only concerned about the short term and could care less about the long term viability of the company.  It's funny to me that the Disney brand still has so many loyal fans who somehow think the spirit of Walt walks the hallways of Burbank.  Don't even get me started on what Iger has done to the Theme Park division.  The sooner this clown resigns the better.

I despise Bog Iger and agree with you 100%.

• Like 1

I still feel that we need to owe Guardians' really massive opening to ROCKET RACCOON!!! That is so much fun to say.

If your drama is tracking to open to dismal numbers, just add ROCKET RACCOON!!!! $50M+ opening guaranteed.

Rocket Raccoon vs. Batman

HOLY SHIT IMAGINE HOW HUGE THAT WOULD BE

• Like 1

I still feel that we need to owe Guardians' really massive opening to ROCKET RACCOON!!! That is so much fun to say.

If your drama is tracking to open to dismal numbers, just add ROCKET RACCOON!!!! $50M+ opening guaranteed.

Pride & Prejudice & Rocket Raccoon.

I'd finally be able to tolerate a Jane Austen movie.

• Like 2

... The entire company is built solely around driving the stock-prices up and pleasing the shareholders and nearly every executive is only concerned about the short term and could care less about the long term viability of the company. 

Say hello to every F500 company out there.  Iger leaving will not change anything... and it might become worst.

And quite honestly you're wrong.  You don't invest > 8 billion in Marvel & LucusFilms plus abut 3 billion in theme park capital upgrades by only thinking of the short term.

While I'm sure the Execs live and die by the quarterly numbers... come to a company like mine to really see what sacrificing the long term for the short term really means. 

Edited by AndyLL
  • Like 3