Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

Dragon was predicted to be the biggest movie of the summer by many people, so its boxoffice run is a massive disappointment especially with zero animated competition (No, Planes doesn't count).

You're still going on about this?

Posted Image

• Like 5

I think it does. As everyone being off school gives more time to go on Friday right now.

I dont think its that big a difference. When school is on, some people go to basketball and football games on Fridays, or hit the road to travel, or go out to celebrate the end of the work week, etc. Saturday is the lounge day, no matter what month. And keep in mind just because its Friday doesnt mean people are going to automatically go to the movies. I dont think April vs August drop will be too different.
  • Like 2

Yes.  Otherwise weekdays wouldn't be bigger in the summer - school is out and people are on vacation.  You don't see 150-180% Thur-Fr jumps in the summer - you do the rest of the year.

I aware of that
  • Like 1

Geeze! That's great! Isn't this the movie people were saying "oh, it's too weird, this isn't going to break out, it will be lucky to see 100 million in it's lifetime. 60 million OW tops!"

Yep. The one in the same. Of course some had it higher and some lower but the avg was 60-70m until this week when the reviews came out.

Dragon was predicted to be the biggest movie of the summer by many people, so its boxoffice run is a massive disappointment especially with zero animated competition (No, Planes doesn't count).

Your hatred of Dragon, and Noctis's hatred of Transformers is getting annoying.
  • Like 4

Really? I like to know who thought this movie was going to break out? The demographic for it is very small! It's got no racial diversity, and the trailers didn't have any strong female characters in it. It's BO potential was always going to be limited. This is a new era, if you don't have diversity and strong female roles in the movies, it's going to struggle..(IMO anyways)

Ray Subers predictions

1. Guardians of the Galaxy - $95 million

2. Lucy - $18 million

3. Get on Up - $15 million

4. Hercules - $10.3 million

5. Dawn/Apes - $8.4 million

I think Apes weekend drops should stabilize starting next weekend. Nice run for the monkey movie. Looking at $210M+ DOM. And, honestly, not a terrible drop for Lucy given the unexpectedly large OW and how polarizing the film appears with the GA.

I know :( But we're doing a TDKR thing. You wouldn't understand.