Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

Or movies are just not that appealing this year? I am pretty sure a movie is about to open to about 100M out of nowhere. If a movie is appealing, people will show up.

Well yes, that's it. The movies aren't as appealing and fewer people overall show up.
  • Like 1

I still think you're looking at it wrong. You're acting like those movies had to make $74M no matter what. And I am saying that they shouldn't have been able to make as much as they did. Against a better movie, they wouldn't have.

I'm pretty sure Apes was good enough, Planet of the Apes has never been a huge franchise so Dawn pulling bigger numbers than Rise is a success.

The audience that will see Apes is a fairly niche audience.

I still think you're looking at it wrong. You're acting like those movies had to make $74M no matter what. And I am saying that they shouldn't have been able to make as much as they did. Against a better movie, they wouldn't have.

Whyyyyyyyyyyyy. This doesn't fucking making sense. Lucy was appealing. People showed up. 

• Like 2

Nikki Finke @NikkiFinke  ·  27m

Higher And Higher: 'Guardians Of The Galaxy' now targeting $40M Friday and $98M opening weekend and breaking records

... please hit 100. :P

Little late to the party there

Posted Image

• Like 2

Nikki Finke @NikkiFinke  ·  27mHigher And Higher: 'Guardians Of The Galaxy' now targeting $40M Friday and $98M opening weekend and breaking records ... please hit 100. :P

Aint no mountain high enough.
  • Like 9

GotG potentially getting 300 million+

TMNT potentially getting 150 million+ (if the first G.I. Joe did it, this could possibly do it without massive kiddie competition - GotG has family appeal but it's not directly a kid-friendly movie like TMNT obviously is aiming to be) 

Get on Up, Let's Be Cops and The Giver potentially getting 100 million+ 

Who would have thought August would be larger than July this year initially? (Back when Maleficent and Fast 7 were still slated to be released then) 

I still think you're looking at it wrong. You're acting like those movies had to make $74M no matter what. And I am saying that they shouldn't have been

able to make as much as they did. Against a better movie, they wouldn't have.

This is complete malarkey and goes against everything we know about the film industry and box office patterns.  The folks who went to see Lucy did so because of Universal's pitch-perfect marketing campaign.  It had NOTHING to do with Apes at all.  

• Like 3

Just saw guardians. can't wait to see it 800 more times. it's the kinda movie where I just really, really want the sequel straight after seeing it. 

Hopefully Jurassic is huge, then we'll officially be living in the time of chris pratt as king of leading men.

• Like 9

Just saw guardians. can't wait to see it 800 more times. it's the kinda movie where I just really, really want the sequel straight after seeing it. 

Hopefully Jurassic is huge, then we'll officially be living in the time of chris pratt as king of leading men.

Chris Pratt for Uncharted.

Chris Pratt for Indiana Jones.

Chris Pratt for Batman Beyond

Chris Pratt for True Detective Season 2.

• Like 10

At the theater for Guardians, the parking lot is the most packed ive seen in a while, plus Chadwick Boseman is from my hometown so GOU is probably doing above average. In the biggest room, not too packed yet, but people here love to pour in during the 2nd trailer. Ill let yall know how it goes! Lots of families and adults and white people! Dat Glenn Close effect.

• Like 2