Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

13 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

I like John Carter in a  6/10 way but it would have been a much much better movie with a different male lead and about 20-30 minutes of repetitive bloat cut.  The world design was great and Lynn Collins should have had better things happen for her career from her performance.  DeFoe and Morton were also very good. 

Kitsch absolutely sinks it. It's one of those movies whose watchabilty could have been salvaged by a different lead. But they cast a balsawood so...:shrug:

Edited by Valonqar
  • Haha 2

Excellent Profile from The New York Times on Ava and A Wrinkle In Time

Ms. Winfrey did. “I grew up in an era where there was absolutely zero, minus, images” of girls like her in pop culture, she said. “So I do imagine, to be a brown-skinned girl of any race throughout the world, looking up on that screen and seeing Storm, I think that is a capital A, capital W, E, some, AWESOME, experience,” she added by phone. “I think this is going to be a wondrous marvel of an experience for girls that in the future they will just take for granted.”

The entertainment press made much of the fact that Ms. DuVernay had never worked with special effects (which is rarely belabored when male directors make the same leap). But neither had Ms. Winfrey. “My first time being hung from the ceiling!” she said. She found getting up and getting down so nerve-racking that she asked the crew to just keep her rigged up. “The crew’s going to lunch, and they’re like, well we can’t leave you hanging! I go, ‘Oh yeah, you can!’” she said. (She stayed up there. Just picture it.)

Ms. DuVernay, though, “was in her element,” Ms. Winfrey said, recalling that when she observed the huge cranes with the camera, “and there’s Ava, in her dreads and her sneakers and her vest and her jeans, surrounded by lots of big guys and lots of big machinery, saying, ‘Cut, stop, let’s take that again,’ it just would make my heart swell, that she had taken on something that was this enormous, and was managing it so well.”

“Wrinkle” is a very girlie movie; at one point, a character is saved from a fall by a field of gossipy flowers. And Ms. DuVernay is warm and girlie, too — at our meeting, we talked about the joys and pitfalls of fake eyelashes; crying, she peeled hers off. “I like clothes, I like makeup, I like looking at pretty dresses,” she said. Onscreen, the Mrs. characters change costumes at every appearance: Ms. Winfrey described her look as “Beyoncé’s aunt from another planet.”

And none of these glitter-tinged fantasies subtract from Ms. DuVernay’s own mission, that cultivation of new perspectives and realities. To her, “Selma” and “A Wrinkle in Time” share a foundational message: “Civil rights work and social justice work take imagination, to imagine a world that isn’t there, and you imagine that it can be there. And that’s the same thing that you do whenever you imagine and insert yourself in a future space, or in a space where you’ve been absent.”

To imagine a world where a girl like Meg can fly was “super-emotional to me,” she said. “And then to be able to make it so, even on camera for a little while, for two hours — to change the world for that small amount of time, it’s very powerful. It’s addictive.”

:wub::wub::wub:

I'm so ready. 

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Ms. Winfrey did. “I grew up in an era where there was absolutely zero, minus, images” of girls like her in pop culture, she said. “So I do imagine, to be a brown-skinned girl of any race throughout the world, looking up on that screen and seeing Storm, I think that is a capital A, capital W, E, some, AWESOME, experience,”

Awesome indeed.

Halle_Berry_Storm_Photos_Best_Sexy_Storm

Just now, Alli said:

yuck. not a good sign

It's been discussed. :)

Still, wouldn't be the first time a film was good/great despite having a late embargo.  Best not to read too much into it, I reckon.

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

It's been discussed. :)

Still, wouldn't be the first time a film was good/great despite having a late embargo.  Best not to read too much into it, I reckon.

I guess...

They aren't even allowing reviews on letterboxd. It screened, yet nobody has posted anything.

19 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I though it was tracking between 34-37 last we heard? 

current tracking (supplied the wrong link before accidentally oops)

8-Week Tracking:

Release Date Title 3-Day Wide Opening % Chg from Last Week Domestic Total % Chg from Last Week Estimated Location Count Distributor
3/9/2018 Gringo $3,000,000 -25% $7,500,000 -25% 2,400 STXfilms
3/9/2018 The Hurricane Heist $4,500,000 -10% $11,300,000 -10% 2,500 Entertainment Studios
3/9/2018 Strangers: Prey at Night $7,000,000   $15,000,000   2,400 Aviron
3/9/2018 A Wrinkle In Time $39,000,000 -19% $115,000,000 -19% 3,800 Disney

last weeks tracking

Current 8-Week Tracking:

Release Date Title 3-Day Wide Opening % Chg from Last Week Domestic Total % Chg from Last Week Estimated Location Count Distributor
3/2/2018 Death Wish $17,000,000 13% $43,500,000 12% 2,700 Annapurna / MGM
3/2/2018 Red Sparrow $20,000,000 -7% $60,000,000 -9% 2,900 Fox
3/9/2018 Gringo $4,000,000   $10,000,000   1,500 STXfilms
3/9/2018 The Hurricane Heist $5,000,000   $12,500,000   2,300 Entertainment Studios
3/9/2018 Strangers: Prey at Night $7,000,000 17% $15,000,000 17% 2,300 Aviron
3/9/2018 A Wrinkle In Time $48,000,000 -8% $142,000,000 -8% 3,800 Disney

Might have been 34-37 elsewhere though.

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Didn't realize you just meant boxoffice.com's projections. I was talking actual tracking. 

Ah, sorry. :)  I just usually see people pop those in threads and I thought it might be interesting here if only for expectation setting.