Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

It's all about the expectations. The higher the expectations, the more you have to deliver.

And if don't think this was not being hyped as a film that would change cinema,you have not been following the film very much. See the Time Magazine cover story in particular.

17 minutes ago, MrGamer said:

lolwut

• Like 1

Just now, Mojoguy said:

There was bound to be less excitement for Wrinkle after BP.
The same thing applied to Wonder Woman last year.

What applied to wonder woman last year?

And BP and AWiT have nothing in common other than being directed by black directors. A MCU "at it's peak" SH movie and a sci-fi movie. And different reviews.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

It's all about the expectations. The higher the expectations, the more you have to deliver.

And if don't think this was not being hyped as a film that would change cinema,you have not been following the film very much. See the Time Magazine cover story in particular.

Nobody was calling it a "revolutionary" masterpiece though. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Nobody gave a crap about Justice League after Wonder Woman because her solo movie already came out.

What? A wrinkle in time has absolutely nothing to do with Black Panther. They're not even similar types of movies. Whereas Wonder Woman is actually part of Justice League. If Black Panther didn't have a predominately black cast and a black director (like AWIT) you wouldn't even think about connecting it to AWIT.

Think about what that says about you as an individual. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

What applied to wonder woman last year?

And BP and AWiT have nothing in common other than being directed by black directors. A MCU "at it's peak" SH movie and a sci-fi movie. And different reviews.

Nobody cared about Justice League after Wonder Woman because her solo movie already came out.

It's all about the hype and excitement. With Coogler and BP being deservedly pushed hard by the media, DuVernay is going to get overshadowed a bit.
Edited by Mojoguy

8 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Nobody gave a crap about Justice League after Wonder Woman because her solo movie already came out.

The logic on display here is mind boggling. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Nobody was calling it a "revolutionary" masterpiece though. 

Exactly. The only "revolutionary" thing about this movie is the fact that DuVernay, a black woman, was directing a $100M studio film, which IS a big deal. I haven't seen anybody treating this as some "revolutionary masterpiece" or the second coming of Christ or whatever. Besides, that movie's not coming out until 2020 when Avatar 2 comes out (you're welcome, @IronJimbo).  

Edited by MrGamer
  • Like 3

Just now, Mojoguy said:

Nobody cared about Justice League after Wonder Woman because her solo movie already came out.

It's all about the hype and excitement. With Coogler and BP being pushed hard by the media, DuVernay is going to get overshadowed a bit.

Film A: Destined to open up at least 100m OW long before folks realized how great it was; eventually hit the stratosphere and a 200m+ OW.

Film B: Destined to open up between 30m and mid 40m and MAAAAAAAYBE hit mid-50's OW if the stars aligned.

Yes... Seems like the perfect movies to compare, if you ask me.

9 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

It's all about the hype and excitement. With Coogler and BP being pushed hard by the media, DuVernay is going to get overshadowed a bit.

I understand what you are trying to say. But WW didn't have much impact on BvS, and BP didn't have much impact on civil war. It's all about them leading the movies.

And I think BP actually put this movie more in spotlight. Also BP was not special just cos of a black director, there have been blockbusters with them. AWiT would not have made crazy numbers even if BP didn't exist. 

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Or maybe Durvaney was just not the right choice for this material?

Maybe she wasn't.  But I think comparing A Wrinkle in Time and Black Panther when it comes to box office expectations is... Not a good idea.

If one must, compare AWiT to the first Alice film or the first Narnia movie or something similar.  Even there, it's STILL a different genre of family film, but at least it's vaguely in the right ballpark. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, MrGamer said:

Exactly. The only "revolutionary" thing about this movie is the fact that DuVernay, a black woman, was directing a $100M studio film, which IS a big deal. I haven't seen anybody treating this as some "revolutionary masterpiece" or the second coming of Christ or whatever. Besides, that movie's not coming out until 2020 when Avatar 2 comes out (you're welcome, @IronJimbo).  

everything else in 2020 is redundant

10 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Were there any big movies with a black director besides Peele's Get Out last year? I can't remember because the media sure as heck didn't push them.

There was a billion dollar grossing movie I think, I am racking my brain in a fast and furious manner to recall what it was, but I am unable to.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

There was a billion dollar grossing movie I think, I am racking my brain in a fast and furious manner to recall what it was, but I am unable to.

He said last year.

EDIT OOPS FORGOT F8

Also, Girls Trip

Edited by WrathOfHan