Mojoguy

Tuesday Numbers: GOTG 12, Lucy 2.6, Herc 1.6 (Rth) DBZ 1.07

But to be a big success and open with 50-60m+, it needs support of GA too. And now a causual person, who wants to see a movie, is much more likely to choose GOTG over TMNT.

I don't think TMNT is hitting 50-60m.

40m maybe though.  The awesomesauce of GOTG is going to hurt TMNT.

It's not even sure these fans will watch it.

Sorry to tell you that but I loved the cartoon from 1987 and I love the current cartoon (TMNT 2012, the best of these TMNT cartoons for me) and I won't watch it, not in a cinema. These turtles in this movie are really ugly, too big and too muscled, many fans will be put off because of that. Beware of the bomb!

Lol Ive spoken to tons of fans in my age group and the ladies too.. Alot of them saying apart from the facial design this Turtles

movie is looking pretty awesome...

And even the haters saying they going to check it out.. .Sorry Fullbuster, expect a very big OW, but will it be 55-65 or 70-80+M

Come on Turtles.

Fair enough.

But if it's expected...where do you think it ends?

And let's get real...none of us really knew this reception until like...3 days ago.  At most.

And I saw this movie 2 weeks ago...and I still wasn't sure how it'd be received.  Sure, it's obvious now, with internet buzz, and GA reception, and numbers to support...but let's not pretend this is so obvious.  We know now...cause it's now.  We didn't know just a few moments ago.

That why I said it was unexpected up until we saw such a great hold on Sunday.

That and the fact that 99% of people who've seen it love it. A lot of them wanted to see it again. I haven't seen this kind of enthusiastic reaction over a movie since TA. Cap2 was fantastic but it's audience were more limited. IM3 had a bigger hype but the GA reception didn't live up to it.

Every major blockbusters this year had their fair share of the drawbacks. Apes2 was too heavy on drama, Godzilla was too divisive, TASM2 was forgettable, DOFP wasn't fun enough, TF4 was hated by most. It's true that nobody expected GOTG to rise above all of them but we should all know better by now.

It should beat Cap2 DOM with ease. WW is another story.

• Like 2

I don't think TMNT is hitting 50-60m.

40m maybe though.  The awesomesauce of GOTG is going to hurt TMNT.

They said that about some film that ran against Transformers I Kowhite, never underestimate the power of Nostalgia.

Im just sorry they didnt use the 1987 turtle song :).. That shit would have caused fans to really go ape shit! LOL

I'd argue the bad reviews from critics is hurting Transformers 4's gross. They do a make an impact.

I'd say...it's not the bad reviews from critics that is hurting TF4.  But the bad reviews from people who watched it opening weekend.

Word of mouth matters.  And it's not too good on this flick.  Unless you live in China.

That why I said it was unexpected up until we saw such a great hold on Sunday.

That and the fact that 99% of people who've seen it love it. A lot of them wanted to see it again. I haven't seen this kind of enthusiastic reaction over a movie since TA. Cap2 was fantastic but it's audience were more limited. IM3 had a bigger hype but the GA reception didn't live up to it.

Every major blockbusters this year had their fair share of the drawbacks. Apes2 was too heavy on drama, Godzilla was too divisive, TASM2 was forgettable, DOFP wasn't fun enough, TF4 was hated by most. It's true that nobody expected GOTG to rise above all of them but we should all know better by now.

It should beat Cap2 DOM with ease. WW is another story.

I have little argument with this post.

Cap 2 had a very good reception.  The response to GOTG though...is, imo, way beyond that.  People are fucking loving this thing.

It's not even sure these fans will watch it.

Sorry to tell you that but I loved the cartoon from 1987 and I love the current cartoon (TMNT 2012, the best of these TMNT cartoons for me) and I won't watch it, not in a cinema. These turtles in this movie are really ugly, too big and too muscled, many fans will be put off because of that. Beware of the bomb!

I love the live action movies, and the new TMNT cartoon. I'm really reluctant to check out the new movie. If it has terrible reviews... :unsure:

I'd say...it's not the bad reviews from critics that is hurting TF4.  But the bad reviews from people who watched it opening weekend.

Word of mouth matters.  And it's not too good on this flick.  Unless you live in China.

Amen KO.. Horrible WOM and lets face it its barely better than Part 2.. Thats not good for this franchise.

At least I liked it more than SM2

• Like 1

Lol Ive spoken to tons of fans in my age group and the ladies too.. Alot of them saying apart from the facial design this Turtles

movie is looking pretty awesome...

And even the haters saying they going to check it out.. .Sorry Fullbuster, expect a very big OW, but will it be 55-65 or 70-80+M

Come on Turtles.

No. Get real, and with GOTG being there they will choose GOTG thanks to its great WOM and thanks to the media speaking about it B)

I love the live action movies, and the new TMNT cartoon. I'm really reluctant to check out the new movie. If it has terrible reviews... :unsure:

Trailer 2 and 3 looked awesome... And there were terrible reviews for Transformers 3, ID4, and too many awesome films to mention

mojo friend :).. Go see the film :).... Turtles must win the weekend!

Yep and you're not alone to think that. I mean, TMNT could be successful without competition but with GOTG it won't go that far.

And it's pretty deserved, GOTG is a wonderful movie after all.

• Like 1

I think people need to understand that expectations don't stay similar forever.Take Apes for example, slightly above expectations on the weekend, a lot above for the second weekend which in turn led to raised expectations of WOM for the remainder of its run but has now had crap legs since that point. Sure the total is in the above expectations ballpark but things don't exist in a vacuum. Numbers for successive weekends expectations build on previous ones. Dragon had stellar WOM with very high, highest audience rating and yet never showed it. Continuous disappointment even with continued lower expectations.

• Like 3

I am now starting to think 300m could be possible. TMNT is getting poor reception, so if it can do 45m+ this weekend, then there is a chance.

If it tracks RotPotA for a few more days or outperforms, then yeah I can see 300 happening.  

• Like 1

Lets keep the turtles talk to the turtle thread

I'am really curious to know what Dragon Ball Z has grossed in its limited run, its been trending well last few days

Edited by eXtacy
  • Like 1

No. Get real, and with GOTG being there they will choose GOTG thanks to its great WOM and thanks to the media speaking about it B)

Lol you must not buy into internet hype and think thats what the real world is going to do.

Same people said Avatar would flop lol.. We all know how that endeded. A few hating loonies on Cameron

would have you think Avatar didnt make an impact and it wont destroy Avengers 2..

And all the BO trackers know whats going to happen there too..

LOL... If we get the walkins we need and we need very little to show up. Turtles is a  10 billion+ franchise guy.

It should be on par with Iron Man weekly's for at least the first two weeks. So there is a possibility

Iron Man had extremely weak competition for its first three weeks. Speed Racer, Maid of Honor, and Narnia 2 flopped. I can't believe how lucky it was! :o

I would say GotG's competition isn't much better.