filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

surprisingly no since ASM 2 actually didn't make 100m in China like TWS did. ASM 2 overperforms in Japan though to make up for that. 

I was surprised Cap 2 made so much in China. China has really been a windfall for a lot of movie grosses.

opening weekendsStep Up - 20.6MStep Up 2 - 18.9Step Up 3D - 15.8Step Up Revolution - 11.7Step Up All In - 6.5Surely this has got to be the last one, right? Based on those plummeting numbers, a sixth one would only open to 3-4M.

They probably still make a profit lol
  • Like 1

I'm sorry but with pretty much ZERO Comp in July, I don't like Apes holds overall.  But it still has had a pretty good run for a sequel. 

Holds haven't been great, but it'll have close to a 3x multiplier when all is said and done, and that'll be better legs than most other blockbusters this summer.

Edited by FTF
  • Like 1

So after 2nd weekend Cap2 got a 1.6x, if GotG follows that it's looking at a $280m total.  One advantage, among others, GotG has over Cap2: 5th weekend Cap2 had TASM2 while GotG gets Labor Day Weekend with nothing that will compare to that.

Edited by Caladbolg
  • Like 2

I'm still absolutely stunned that Get on Up dropped harder than Hercules this weekend.

Forget Hercules, I can't believe it dropped higher than Guardians of the Galaxy. I mean, WHAT?!

I mentioned this in the what went wrong thread, but they really should've kept it in late October when it was originally supposed to come out, especially since the second half of that month looks to be a near-complete dead zone this year.

• Like 1

TF4's gross is great. No point in spinning it. But TF3 was a hell of a lot more impressive.In terms of popularity overseas OUTSIDE of China, the other blockbusters fare much better against TF4. DoFP will finish with $515m OS. Take away the $115m OS it did in China, it will end up with $400m OS. Take away the $320m TF3 did in China, and it sits at $470m.Again, I'm not discounting China, but worldwide, the other blockbusters are very close to it in terms of popularity. It's an interesting statistic.

• Like 2

Forget Hercules, I can't believe it dropped higher than Guardians of the Galaxy. I mean, WHAT?!

I mentioned this in the what went wrong thread, but they really should've kept it in late October when it was originally supposed to come out, especially since the second half of that month looks to be a near-complete dead zone this year.

I mention Hercules because it lost 20% of its theaters this weekend and now sits a spot ahead of get on Up, but yeah, a 63% drop is terrible for this kind of flick.

Can someone explain to me why Paramount announced a date for the next Turtles movie, but not the next TF?

There's nothing wrong with announcing a TMNT sequel, it's obviously a success, but it seems odd that they announced it right away, but haven't dated TF5 yet, despite TF4 being yet another gigantic success.

• Like 2