filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

Yea but all Ronan had to do is shoot him, then it's done.  But he stops, like a cartoon, and gets confused by what is happening.  It's cheap, imo, silly, imo and betrays what Marvel villains are supposed to be like.  This guy basically told Thanos to go fuck himself and yet he gets killed because he's confused by someone dancing in front of him.  Stupid imo.

Yeah, Ronan probably should have killed him right then and there, but I'm going to guess that even a lot of smart people would have been bewildered by that, too. It's almost the same reason Tony didn't kill Trevor when he first met him in IM3.

• Like 1

One of the things I found to be incredibly stupid in the GOTG (and this is apparently one of the parts that people love is)

getting rid of the villain by distracting him with a dance recital.  It was like I was watching Scooby Doo.  If that wasn't Marvel, it would have been ripped to shreds.  But Marvel can do wrong right now.

Yes, I cringed during that part. 

I get what they were going for, but it was just really awkward and forced... especially with the villain's reaction.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 3

Yea but all Ronan had to do is shoot him, then it's done.  But he stops, like a cartoon, and gets confused by what is happening.  It's cheap, imo, silly, imo and betrays what Marvel villains are supposed to be like.  This guy basically told Thanos to go fuck himself and yet he gets killed because he's confused by someone dancing in front of him.  Stupid imo.

Even the most menacing would be taken aback by something absurd.

• Like 7

One of the things I found to be incredibly stupid in the GOTG (and this is apparently one of the parts that people love is)

getting rid of the villain by distracting him with a dance recital.  It was like I was watching Scooby Doo.  If that wasn't Marvel, it would have been ripped to shreds.  But Marvel can do wrong right now.

I cringed a bit the first time I saw that scene, but was OK with it the second time. I think the absurdity of the proceedings up to that point (especially in regard to Quill's character) both established that it was a perfectly believable act that Quill might attempt AND the movie had built up enough good will with the audience by that time that we were willing to "take a flyer" on what potentially could've been a big-time take-you-out-of-the-movie moment.  It kinda fit the rest of the movie, so we went with it.

In other words, if you drop that scene at the end of an already-lousy movie (say, if Ryan Reynolds tried it out at the end of Green Lantern), yeah, it almost certainly would've been derided as absurd and stupid.  But because of all that came before in GOTG, it was more forgivable and even acceptable and funny to some viewers.

• Like 3

page 108

Thanks B. BTW, that post is actually on page 106. I guess it's because posts were moved/deleted yesterday. Edited by Sam
  • Like 1

he didn't even have to do that, all he had to do was put the staff on the ground

:P

See thats the reason for the dancing.  Can't stop him right there, got to distract him.  Hes too strong as well and can withstand powerful weapons.