filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

Hopefully this is a minor dent and Turtles is incredibly front loaded  :unsure:

I just don't want Michael Bay to have another god damn #1 opening weekend. Even if he's only the producer, it's still pretty much Michael Bay.  :sick: 

:wtf:  I'm not cheering for Turtles in any way, but I don't get this hate at all.

just accept the fact that turtles are more popular than people give it credit for.

Agreed.  This isn't all the surprising if one wasn't biased either way.  Even the tracking had it doing around $40 so I don't get it

• Like 2

It lost a huge chunk of it's big screens which have a premium ticket price Into The Storm.I think Turtles will be more competition in the morning, afternoon and early evening shows because of it appeal to very young children than it was in the post 7pm shows.A 50% drop would need an 75% Thu-Fri jump and then a 50% Sat jump. Ehhhh...

If the film has amazing WOM than it should have a 80-90% jump. I guess today will decide if Guardians has that kind of WOM. I don't think it will, but I'm not doubting it.

GOTG could drop 60% this weekend and still do $250m+. Mid $240s would probably still win the summer. By any measure a fantastic #. Those who were thinking that despite $11.2m in Thur previews it was going to drop less than 50% hoped for a $300m+ breakout

Guardians will probably increase in Labor Day wknd, which will be a HUGE boost.

Well not really. 2 Guns managed to increase 70% on Friday, Rise of the Planet of the Apes increased 87%, heck Tomb of the Dragon Emperor increased 70%. Those had pretty much the same release date as Guardians butnon different years. So a 70%+ increase is certainly not abnormal in the slightest.

Those are all older skewing movies.  Part of why GOTG has had such great weekdays is because it has a significant younger demographic that's not working.

GOTG could drop 60% this weekend and still do $250m+. Mid $240s would probably still win the summer. By any measure a fantastic #. 

Those who were thinking that despite $11.2m in Thur previews it was going to drop less than 50% hoped for a $300m+ breakout

This is why I'm saying Expectations are already exceeded.  But there is a lot of competition for "Guardians" in August.  

• Like 1

I'll just pull this outta my ass for Guardians...

Friday: $13.3M (+75%, the word of mouth is truly stellar, but I think the other releases, especially Turtles, will still bog it down.)

Saturday: $18.1M (+39%)

Sunday: $13.7M (-24%)

Total: $45.1M (-52%)

Those are all older skewing movies. Part of why GOTG has had such great weekdays is because it has a significant younger demographic that's not working.

Rise of the Planet of the Ape's OW audience was 56% age 25 and over. Guardians of the Galaxy OW audience was 55% age 25 and over. (Pretty much the same.)Young people also arrived to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes just like they came to see Guardians in the weekdays. Rise of the Planet of the Apes increased 87%, Guardians MIGHT come close to that.
  • Like 1

Those are all older skewing movies.  Part of why GOTG has had such great weekdays is because it has a significant younger demographic that's not working.

Both Dawn/Apes and Guardians were 55% over 25.

As to Guardians $7.6m, it's not a bad number at all when comparing it to other movies.  It was just automatically assumed yesterday that it would drop 10% (how that number came to be who knows).

• Like 2

Rise of the Planet of the Ape's OW audience was 56% age 25 and over.Guardians of the Galaxy OW audience was 55% age 25 and over. (Pretty much the same.)Young people also arrived to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes just like they came to see Guardians in the weekdays. Rise of the Planet of the Apes increased 87%, Guardians MIGHT come close to that.

Not really, RotPofA wasn't as much of an event movie like GotG. So GotG will definitely have a hard time coming close to that 87% Thursday to Friday increase.

At best it'd be an 80% increase.

Not really, RotPofA wasn't as much of an event movie like GotG. So GotG will definitely have a hard time coming close to that 87% Thursday to Friday increase.At best it'd be an 80% increase.

Keep in mind that Guardians of the Galaxy has a lot of appeal towards women, I think it was the highest percentage-wise females showed up to a Marvel's film OW by 4%. Maybe that'll help it out in its 2nd weekend cause there doesn't seem to be a film out that is catering to that audience. Maybe the new Step Up movie, but that might not even hit $10M this weekend........

I'll just pull this outta my ass for Guardians...

Friday: $13.3M (+75%, the word of mouth is truly stellar, but I think the other releases, especially Turtles, will still bog it down.)

Saturday: $18.1M (+39%)

Sunday: $13.7M (-24%)

Total: $45.1M (-52%)

52% drop is being nice against Turtles. Like B said, I'm leaning more towards a minimum 55%.  

Other 7pm previews this year

Guardians - 11.2

Spiderman - 8.7

Godzilla - 9.3

If it behaves like Guardians it will make 38.7m, if more like spiderman then 48.4m. My guess is it will be somewhere in the middle. 

I think it's more fan driven with those previews so, possibly closer to Guardians than Spidey.

Wonder what Dragon Ball Z got on its final day

I think they dropped the ball.  "Battle of the Gods" clearly would of done well on a Limited 1 month release.  I also think a "Dragon Ball" Live Action reboot that stays more true to the source material could work.