kayumanggi

Weekend numbers thread:TMNT: 28.4 GOTG: 24.7 LBC. 17.7 Ex3: 16.2

I am so glad for TMNT overperforming and haters will keep underestimating. I haven't watched it yet, but even if I hate it I will support it.

Part 2 has a lot of potential to break out with that June release.  Looking back, "Turtles" might of done just fine in it's original release date. 

• Like 1

But kids were also the powerhouse behind GOTG and Frozen magical runs so their bad tastes sometimes pleased a lot of people here. ;)

That's also true (to an extent for Guardians, that's playing really well with all ages), it doesn't change the fact that the kids aren't easy to please.If they like bad movies aimed at them, they'll surely like the good ones as well.
  • Like 1

That's also true (to an extent for Guardians, that's playing really well with all ages), it doesn't change the fact that the kids aren't easy to please.If they like bad movies aimed at them, they'll surely like the good ones as well.

DRAGONS 2 goes off and cries quietly in the corner.
  • Like 12

It's not hard to grasp that kids love TMNT, I mean they're what propelled shit like Maleficent to success this summer.Kids inherently have poor tastes in movies, they care more about masses of color moving quickly on the screen with simple fart based humor. It's really not hard to make a movie that'll please a kid.

You can say the same thing about any genre of film aimed at any group of people.  For example, and I mean this as straight and narrow as possible:

You could say SW fans care only about how many lightsabre duels there are

Bay fans care only about explosions

Marvel fans only care about mass destruction and silly humour

Women only care about romance

15-25 year old boys only care about action.

There's a formula to a kids film, and Pixar, Disney and everyone in between uses it.  Doesn't make it a good or bad movie, it's aimed at a target audience and if the audience likes it, it makes money, if it doesn't it won.t

• Like 6

It's time to call it as we should see it.

TMNT is going to do at least 28m this weekend. That's almost 80% of the average of the "Big 5(90-100m openers)"'s 2nd weekends(Avg 35.6m). That's after being less than 70% of the average of their 1st weekends(94m).

TMNT(at least BO-wise) has earned my respect.

• Like 8

Just because kids like something doesn't make it bad. But TMNT is so blatantly skewed toward kids that are easily impressed (cringe-worthy one liners, fart jokes, awful-looking CGI turtles), while GotG has the whole family in mind (never felt like I was watching a kids movie with GotG). 

Just by looking at the RT ratings for both, it's obvious that GotG has more going for it than just being enjoyed by little kids. 

GotG appealed to adults and teens as well as kids. Same with Frozen and LEGO Movie and other acclaimed family films. 

And how do you know Turtles is not appealing to adults as well?

• Like 4

Well Baumer - color me surprised - last year same weekend only 1 film topped 80% and it wasn't the kid film (Percy) so congrats on a good call. Guardians is actually a little higher than I thought it would be so over all I am very pleased with Friday.

• Like 3

So, what is a bad movie?  How is one movie a bad movie while another isn't?  Are fart jokes (and there was one in the movie) the barometer as to if the movie is good or bad?

• Like 1

Well Baumer - color me surprised - last year same weekend only 1 film topped 80% and it wasn't the kid film (Percy) so congrats on a good call.Guardians is actually a little higher than I thought it would be so over all I am very pleased with Friday.

So we're still in the "We don't care how much TMNT does as long as GOTG is doing well" phase we were in last weekend. :P

• Like 3

Well Baumer - color me surprised - last year same weekend only 1 film topped 80% and it wasn't the kid film (Percy) so congrats on a good call.Guardians is actually a little higher than I thought it would be so over all I am very pleased with Friday.

I also used 2012 as a template.  And yes, both Percy and Planes topped 80% bump on Friday last year.

http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2013-08-16&track=despicableme2.htm

• Like 2

Michael Bay Is Clearly The Summer of 2014 Winner:

TF4 = Will end close to 1.1 Billion

Turtles = Will end 450-500

Purge = 96 Million WW off a 10 Million Budget

We are talking 1.7 Billion at the Box Office when it's all said and done.  Michael is all Smiles.  So I guess 17%, 19%, and 58% on RT isn't really making him unhappy about this summer

Posted Image

• Like 2

I also used 2012 as a template.  And yes, both Percy and Planes topped 80% bump on Friday last year.

http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2013-08-16&track=despicableme2.htm

I was pretty much with you on this, I used Planes and Percy to compare TMNT to. Except I said it was an "optimistic" outlook...

• Like 2

And how do you know Turtles is not appealing to adults as well?

19% RT critic rating... 61% audience RT rating (likely to decrease a little). 6.4/10 on IMDB (within the first week of release... probably will go below 6 soon enough). 34% on Metacritic. B Cinemascore. It's produced by Nickelodeon. Can't imagine many grown adults who weren't fans of the show growing up anticipating it. It looked cringe-worthy to me and I'm part of the film's demo (guys age 8-30). 

Aside from nostalgic fans (aged 20-30), I don't think that many adults are eager to see it without a kid in tote. How many over the age of 40 are absolutely pumped to go see it? How many women are pumped to go see it? 

Not trying to attack the film, but kids are its primary demo and the lack of blockbuster kids movies this summer has certainly helped it.