kayumanggi

Weekend numbers thread:TMNT: 28.4 GOTG: 24.7 LBC. 17.7 Ex3: 16.2

I can no longer teach baumer any more. He has now learned all he needs to from me. He was walked across the rice paper and now he can go off into the world. :P

I'm normally really good at making sure - no clue why I was stuck on the previous weekend as it would have changed my outlook somewhat. You win Baumer, you win. Lol
  • Like 1

i would say it is helping this one, more than the critics avg score. That's what I am trying to point out.

What's helping this one is the kids. And their parents who grew up with TMNT and are more than willing to suffer through. ;)

Edited by RaccoonsDineOnAAinHell™
  • Like 1

B isn't that great. But as we learned Cinemascore doesn't mean much. See Wolf of Wall Street

And another August release, Sparkle. I think it earned an "A+" CinemaScore, but it fell in the mid-60s percent in it's second weekend.

• Like 1

Critics mean nothing.  They really don't,  

I can only go by those I have spoken to and seen it with and while they didn't love it, they certainly didn't hate it.  

but I've said enough here.  Turtles will not be liked here and that's fine.  The box office did the talking.  

Audiences like most anything they watch though. From my experience, even the dumbest movies are considered "okay" or "all right" in my friends' and family's eyes. Grown Ups 1 & 2, the Madea films, Transformers 2, the Twilight series... all of which have been called "good" movies by a lot of people I know. Pretty much any kids movie, whether it's LEGO Movie or the Squeakquel, gets called "cute" or "funny" by people I know. 

But most moviegoers aren't critically watching the movie and don't really expect a lot from a movie. Hence why every movie is considered "good" by them. 

Critics don't mean nothing - they've watched thousands of films in their lifetimes. I'm pretty sure that their opinion isn't completely null and void. I take them with a grain of salt for the most part (Cars 2 was definitely better than 38% on RT), but I recognize that they generally know what they're talking about. Are you going to say the Academy means nothing either? Or the Hollywood Foreign Press? Sundance and Cannes? 

I'd trust a film critic more than I would a moviegoer who considers even the worst films "okay" (like Jack and Jill for example). Just common sense in an economy where money is tight and you can't afford to watch something that's okay. 

Wasn't hating on TMNT (the first one from 1990 is some good cheesy fun), but I'd trust the 19% RT rating on it when you look at some of the cringe-worthy lines from the movie ("And we're teenagers. But we can have adult conversations"). 

It depends on the film. For hyped blockbuster franchises or sequels anything below an A is not that great. Original films and obscure adaptations can survive on less because the upfront audience is more diverse.

Yeah, when Twilight, Underworld and the like score A's, it's not going to matter because those votes are from the fans.

Then you have movies like Argo, The Blind Side, The Help scoring an A+ and having legs for days.  Those are the ones that make the score worthwhile.

• Like 1

I hope TF4 can at least get to 245m

At this point, it doesn't matter.  240-245-250, it's irrelevant.  It made its billion dollars and Paramount is dancing a jig right now.

• Like 2

It's time to call it as we should see it.TMNT is going to do at least 28m this weekend. That's almost 80% of the average of the "Big 5(90-100m openers)"'s 2nd weekends(Avg 35.6m). That's after being less than 70% of the average of their 1st weekends(94m).TMNT(at least BO-wise) has earned my respect.

How could it not have been a BO success? It appeals to so many key movie going groups by the title aloneTeenage - big chunk of 25 and under crowdMutant - hey CBM fansNinja - 80's style Ninja movie fans. You know "older" crowd :PTurtles - Kids kids kids :lol:
  • Like 4

It depends on the film. For hyped blockbuster franchises or sequels anything below an A is not that great. Original films and obscure adaptations can survive on less because the upfront audience is more diverse.

I think Inception had a B

HTTYD2 is one of the biggest dissapointments I've seen.

You meant it's B.O run, right? Because the movie itself is pretty awesome. ^_^

The expendable a situation really reminds me of wolverine, that film never recovered from the leaks bad wom either.

Not really. Wolverine still opened huge. It's never going to have a good leg regardless of the leak because the movie was shit.

EXP3 would have had a bad opening without the leak but now it's opening number isn't just bad, it's embarrassingly terrible. :huh:

Michael Bay Is Clearly The Summer of 2014 Winner:

TF4 = Will end close to 1.1 Billion

Turtles = Will end 450-500

Purge = 96 Million WW off a 10 Million Budget

We are talking 1.7 Billion at the Box Office when it's all said and done.  Michael is all Smiles.  So I guess 17%, 19%, and 58% on RT isn't really making him unhappy about this summer

Any chance of Ouija becoming another surprised hit? :lol:

Edited by KATCH 22