eXtacy

Weekend Estimates: GotG 17.6m | TMNT 16.8m | If I Stay 16.4m | WGST 9.0m | Sin City 6.5m

I'd like to know how you guys can get any kind of read from any of these numbers.  How does a 1.1 mill preview number translate into a 20-25 mill weekend?

• Like 2

I'd like to know how you guys can get any kind of read from any of these numbers.  How does a 1.1 mill preview number translate into a 20-25 mill weekend?

The same way people use Friday numbers to predict weekends. It's all in the extrapolation, but the farther out we go, the less reliable our predictions may seem.

• Like 1

Its a reasonable estimate

I agree, it's a reasonable estimate, but why does the 1.1 million make you estimate that?  Did you use another movie as a barometer?  I'm not asking to be facetious, asking cause I am curious.  I have no clue how to read that number.

• Like 1

I agree, it's a reasonable estimate, but why does the 1.1 million make you estimate that?  Did you use another movie as a barometer?  I'm not asking to be facetious, asking cause I am curious.  I have no clue how to read that number.

I based it on last weekend numbers and added in the fact summer is winding down so weekends a little stronger and in the fact this is not sequel

Edited by eXtacy
  • Like 2

Yeah, I tend to use other movies frequently as barometers, be it of movies with similar dates/subject matter. The two have to go together as well. Sex Tape and The Giver, both of which seem somewhat similar in audiences (If I Stay seems like the inbetween region), and it seems to be falling a little between the two in terms of weekend spread. High teens seems about right.

• Like 1

I wonder if church groups are ordering tickets to WTGST. It's being produced by Affirm Films, which tends to make a lot of films with Evangelical Christian ideals (Heaven Is For Real, Soul Surfer, Mom's Night Out, etc.)

I imagine the inspirational cliche styled trailer also helps for some people.

Edited by Pokearcher
  • Like 1