eXtacy

Weekend Estimates: GotG 17.6m | TMNT 16.8m | If I Stay 16.4m | WGST 9.0m | Sin City 6.5m

And when's the last time Rodriguez directed a hit, Sin City?

He shouldn't have wasted so many years doing bad Machete and Spy Kids and Shark Boy and Lava Girl movies and god, just thinking of his recent filmography just makes me want to puke.

Edited by Eddy Targaryen

Has there ever been a non-superhero CBM sequel that increased WW?Red 2, Kick Ass 2, and the 300 sequel all dropped.And typically they don't get sequels.Seems like a sub-genre with very little franchise potential.

I think Road to Perdition 2 will make 200 million worldwide. And Tank Girl 2 for 10 million worldwide. Just Saying.

Two details impress me the most:

Lucy still earning money enough to end as #9 in its 5th weekend as an R-rated movie without a franchise to support it

I think the av. per theater for GotG is even with considering IMAX a nice one at it's 4th weekend

Smiling for the TMNT fans, seeing how fine the numbers look for it too in opposition what so many people beforehand said....

Depress for its fans... Sin City 2's OD was ~ 78% lower as part 1

• Like 1

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice  8mTEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES earned an estimated $4.54M on Friday. Domestic total stands at $133.3M. #TMNT #TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles

Good 95% jump and only -43% from last Friday.  

I didn't follow carefully TMNT projections.  Where should it finish ?  Will it top TASM2 and Godzilla2 ?

Rise of Cobra is a good comparable.  RoC made a about 48M after its second week and I think TMNT is holding up better so I'm thinking 180-185

About to watch Into the Storm. Being from Oklahoma, this will be interesting. Twister is a mon favori!

One of the best films of the summer imo.

• Like 1

And I thought just about reposting the early weekends, as they added 2 titles in the midst of the others ... I think that would now look strange

BO.com update

Saturday Update: Warner Bros. reports that If I Stay grabbed $6.83 million on Friday, including Thursday's $1.1 million sneaks. That's a healthy start for the young adult adaptation and sets it up nicely for a weekend around $17 million. If I Stay's opening day was 44 percent higher than The Giver's last week, and just 12 percent behind August 2009's The Time Traveler's Wife. The film's CinemaScore was a solid "A-", while Flixster users are more middling at 75 percent.

The race for first place could be a close one, though. Disney/Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy slipped just 30 percent from last Friday to $4.83 million yesterday, taking second place. The flick boasts $239.1 million in the domestic bank so far, and it will overtake Transformers: Age of Extinction on Saturday to become the summer's highest grossing film. The pic is also an impressive 12 percent ahead of the pace of Captain America: The Winter Soldier. BoxOffice projects a $17.2 million return to first place for Guardians' fourth weekend.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was no slouch itself on its third Friday, dropping a healthy 43 percent from last Friday to $4.54 million. The reboot has claimed $133.35 million to date, 19 percent ahead of the pace of G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra. BoxOffice projects $16.1 million for its third frame.

When the Game Stands Tall earned $3 million yesterday, 44 percent behind the opening day take of 2006's Invincible. BoxOffice projects a $9.5 million opening weekend.

Meanwhile, Sin City: A Dame to Kill For was dead on arrival Friday. The nine-years-in-the-making sequel took in $2.62 million on Friday after an already disappointing $480,000 Thursday night start. The opening day figure is 55 percent lower than last year's Kick-Ass 2, and puts the film on course for an opening frame around $6 million. For reference, the original Sin City took in $11.8 million on opening day alone in its April 2005 debut. Early fan word of mouth appears mixed with a 76 percent Flixster score, comparable to 300: Rise of an Empire's 73 percent one day after release.

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

Me thinks Subers doen't  thinks too Disney does not really look out for nice round numbers

:D

Ray Subers @raysubers 3 mins

Great hold for GUARDIANS (-30%). Long-term forecast is now $290-310m... guessing Disney does whatever possible to get it past $300m.

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1