A Marvel Fanboy

Wednesday 12/21/11 Numbers

GWTDT essentially opened 4th with 3.45m, which is behind SH2 on 4.28m and just behind Alvin 3 on 3.5m.Really really bad. Adding the 1.6m is just hiding the fact.

We know that R rated movies can open just as big as non-R when there`s a huge demand (Matrix:Reloaded, Passion). Since GWTDT was the most read book of the decade or something and even people who didn`t erad it know who Saalnder is, there should have been the demand. Perhaps adults are still at work and waiting for holidays to flock to the movie, but so far it seems that demand is nil.

...and there goes any chance of Hollywood adapting The Girl Who Played with Fire. 3.4m Wednesday is terrible.

Not a big loss for the fans. The Swedish already filmed the entire trilogy which was perfectly fine. Edited by Mojoguy

Why the hell did the new Dragon Tattoo cost 100M to make? They should have been able to film the entire thing for half of that. Now the sequels look dead because of the huge budget.The original Swedish film only cost 13M to make and was extremely sucessful. These movies don't need to cost so much.

Let's wait until Friday before we call dragon tattoo a failure. We all freaked out with TF3 before and we are doing it again now. If Fridays number is still terrible then we can call it a dud, but until that moment we just don't know.

Let's wait until Friday before we call dragon tattoo a failure. We all freaked out with TF3 before and we are doing it again now. If Fridays number is still terrible then we can call it a dud, but until that moment we just don't know.

We should also wait for the OS results. Those will decide the fate of the franchise.Why the fuck did I start panicking too 3 posts ago? :huh::mellow: Edited by CJohn

We should also wait for the OS results. Those will decide the fate of the franchise.Why the fuck did I start panicking too 3 posts ago? :huh::mellow:

I'm not sure why people thing the OS for this movie will be that much larger than the Swedish GWTDT. The only difference between them is that one is in English and the other in Swedish.

We should also wait for the OS results. Those will decide the fate of the franchise. Why the fuck did I start panicking too 3 posts ago? :huh::mellow:

It happens to all of us about movies we like. Remember TF3 OD thread, it was 50 pages of people complaining yet it made over 350M.

Actually, no Girl who Played with Fire would be a blessing. Fincher shouldn't spend the next three years doing cruddy Dragon Tattoo sequels. He's at the height of his career.

The director for the first Swedish film also left after doing that movie and another person took over the two sequels. I see something like that happening here if the English sequels get made.

It should do okay overseas. The issue is that books aren't very popular outside US and Europe. Swedish movie did well in Europe so I don't know how much demand for English version will be there. It should do fine for its genre but don't expect Tentpole type numbers from Overseas markets. That just isn't happening.

Edited by TLK

I have a question. Why people expect this thing to have legs? AD Maramaniacs (who started the whole Maramania trainwreck) are now spinning the low opening number as "it`ll have longevity, don`t worry, holidays aren`t about big openings but steady run". I mena, who the fuck would want to see a depressive movie like GWTDT more than once? And since it doesn`t have very braod appeal, it`ll have to reply on fandom to do repeat business. I don`t know, what do you say?

Edited by fishnets

2.3M is a really really poor opening for Tintin.American audience prove yet again that they have no taste.

Yeah, that's it. Had nothing to do with the fact the trailers didn't sell the movie at all... Sorry, as I said before, it looked more creepy than magical or innovative.

Yeah, that's it. Had nothing to do with the fact the trailers didn't sell the movie at all... Sorry, as I said before, it looked more creepy than magical or innovative.

How the fuck were they creepy? They looked perfectly normal to me.