Rthmessiah

TIFF 2014

Agree what you say about another movie but thought it was quite good well done,Aud at public session I went to loved it, it also had excellect reaction and standing ovations at Telluride.Nightcrawler yep definetly a fav.

I've seen it in Europe on a market screening. I guess US and Canadian viewers are suckers for such fare. Especially if they haven't seen a ton of non US movies about the same thing. 

Yea, they both had a half double decaffeinated half-caf, with a twist of lemon.  They then dined on tofu and tomato soup.  All while discussing the best way to score a meeting with Michael Ovitz.

• Like 5

Record industry attendance this year at TIFF 5000 from 80 countries,800 sales agents selling to 1800 execsChris Rock Top Five record sale bought by Paramount WW rights 12.5m (prev record 7m TWC played for Can Song Save Your Life last year)While We're Young sold within hours of first screening for 4m(on-site deal rarely happens), Big Game also sold 4mMajor sales expected for few othersTop Five I believe prod budget was 10-11m so there's the budget covered

Edited by Rth-TIFF
  • Like 4

Really did not care for The Prophet, unfortunately. The main narrative is done in this really unappealing hybrid of watercolor backgrounds and CGI characters. Some of the vignettes are pretty good - I especially liked "On Food & Drink" - but the transitions are pretty sudden and awkward most of the time, and Damien Rice is distracting as a singing voice in a story set in 40s-era Middle East.

Obviously this was a story about a messianic character so shallow character depth probably shouldn't be surprising, but I don't think that excuses just how unlikeable most of the rest of the characters are. The little girl is obnoxious, not cute, and Wallis' voice acting was just awful. She reads like a temp voice, as if she's just giving cues for Neeson to deliver his lines. The guard characters all fall flat, too, both the villainous ones and the plucky comic relief.

Jays game tonight, then I'm seeing The Voices tomorrow. Hoping for some fun out of that film. May hit up the Royal Ontario Museum in the meantime.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 3

Record industry attendance this year atTIFF 5000 from 80 countries,800 sales agents selling to 1800 execsChris Rock Top Five record sale bought by Paramount WW rights 12.5m (prev record 7m TWC played for Can Song Save Your Life last year)While We're Young sold within hours of first screening for 4m(on-site deal rarely happens), Big Game also sold 4mMajor sales expected for few othersTop Five I believe prod budget was 10-11m so there's the budget covered

Last year aquisitions did very poorly in US. I get that Chris Rock is a niche product so it might sell. Though remember about other projects that sold around Toronto even though they are not reported. The DeNiro and Efron comedy may make a lot more than any of the reported movies.

Also please post what do you think about Good Kill. 

I just now saw this thread. Excellent! Love hearing about the mysterious RTH meetings and that he really is the Zeus of Box Office.

I've been following TIFF a bit on Twitter, though sometimes the movie crits can go overdrive into hyperbole. Really excited about Rock's Top Five, Tusk, FOXCATCHER, FOXCATCHER, FOXCATCHER (OMG!! YASSSSS!),  Nightcrawler, and a bunch of other movies… and I'm sort of waiting w/ bated breath on Chris Evans' directorial debut and hope it's actually decent. It just got bought by RADiUS, which means it's definitely getting a VOD release. Yay.

Like, I'm waiting for that premiere with my hands over my eyes. Anyone trying to copy Linklater's BEFORE trilogy should be prepared for blowback LOL!!

Edited by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

I just now saw this thread. Excellent! Love hearing about the mysterious RTH meetings and that he really is the Zeus of Box Office.

I've been following TIFF a bit on Twitter, though sometimes the movie crits can go overdrive into hyperbole. Really excited about Rock's Top Five, Tusk, FOXCATCHER, FOXCATCHER, FOXCATCHER (OMG!! YASSSSS!),  Nightcrawler, and a bunch of other movies… and I'm sort of waiting w/ bated breath on Chris Evans' directorial debut and hope it's actually decent. It just got bought by RADiUS, which means it's definitely getting a VOD release. Yay.

Like, I'm waiting for that premiere with my hands over my eyes. Anyone trying to copy Linklater's BEFORE trilogy should be prepared for blowback LOL!!

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/radius-picks-up-chris-evans-directed-before-we-go-1201303689/

Sources tell Variety RADiUS has only discussed a theatrical release at this point with plans to release the pic in the second quarter of 2015.

Though with Radius's track record it's I wouldn't count out a "multi-platform" release.  If they're paying as reported low 7 figures - just for US rights - then they were probably not alone in bidding. 

http://deadline.com/2014/09/toronto-chris-evans-helmed-before-we-go-to-radius-832932/

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

I wanted to see Chris Evans Before You Go, but it's screens after I leave. In fact it only one of two films that don't have session(s) before I go, they did reschedule and put on an earlier p&i screening last weekend but it was by invitation only

Edited by Rth-TIFF
  • Like 4

Thanks for the articles. I missed the Variety blurb that BWG will be released in Spring '15. Guess we could do a double feature of that along with AoU ;)

Yeah, I'm waiting with bated breath to see movie twitter's reactions to the movie. At the very least, it seems to be okay. And it's blessedly short (83 mins. approximately).

I really need to see WHILE WE'RE YOUNG too. I'm generally good with Baumbauch's work. 

Thanks for the articles. I missed the Variety blurb that BWG will be released in Spring '15. Guess we could do a double feature of that along with AoU ;)

Yeah, I'm waiting with bated breath to see movie twitter's reactions to the movie. At the very least, it seems to be okay. And it's blessedly short (83 mins. approximately).

I really need to see WHILE WE'RE YOUNG too. I'm generally good with Baumbauch's work. 

89 minutes according to TIFF and you're really doing your best to brace for disaster aren't you.  :lol:

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

AW forum is such a mess right now.They are all Julianne Moore stans and Still Alice got Julianne amazing reviews for the film.Problem, the movie still doesn t have a distributor so it s like watching gay men having their period if that makes sense, they are all making prayer circles, one of the member even made a selfie in front of the Vatican asking for a distributor to pick the movie so that Julianne can have her overdue Oscar.Glorious.

Edited by The Futurist