Gone Girl (2014)

99 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Okay I'm going to try to avoid spoilers since I haven't seen the film. But when I go watch a film like this I don't look to see if it's misogynistic. I look to see if it entertains me as a thriller

Edited by DAR

Haven't seen (and am not too bothered about seeing) the movie, but the book never struck me as misogynistic any more than, say, The Shining was misandrist. I read it as a horror story and little more. I'm sure Fox studios loved the relentless think pieces though.

• Like 1

This got a lot better on a second viewing. So much fun watching all the twists unfold again, and knowing Amy is making up most of her diary entries paints Nick's story in a completely different light in the first half, especially regarding the baby.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

Well-made, well-acted, I dug the media angle, but the movie just lacked energy. It almost felt like Fincher was going through the motions. Wasn't a fan of the piss-yellow cinematography, and the ending was a little too unbelievable. Also, I think that Fincher needs to aim higher, because at this point he can probably make movies like this in his sleep. Either way, last year's Prisoners was way superior, imo.

B-

PS: In the movie's defense, I had read the book beforehand, so that pretty much eliminated the element of surprise.

• Like 1

I'd read the book so watching this was really just an exercise in adaptation 101. The main differences have been said before: the media satire angle is played up far more on film than the book, while the ambiguity of the first half is barely evident in the movie (did anyone ever really suspect Nick?).

Solid acting throughout, everyone was well cast, but the midway twist didn't have nearly same impact as it did on the page. Likewise, brushing over Nick's desperation to be a Father made his decision to stay with Amy a little bewildering. I loved the (real) murder scene.

One thing I've become conscious of with Fincher's last few films is that he has so much plot to get through the only way he can make it is by having a lot of scenes very quickly edited. Most of the time it doesn't detract from the mood, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if I found out his next project was only 90 minutes.

Edited by Untitled Hatebox Project
  • Like 1

I'd read the book so watching this was really just an exercise in adaptation 101. The main differences have been said before: the media satire angle is played up far more on film than the book, while the ambiguity of the first half is barely evident in the movie (did anyone ever really suspect Nick?).

I think it's just the marketing giving away the premise that is to blame for that. Really difficult to maintain that sort of element of surprise when you're adapting a book everyone's read and the marketing team is compelled to advertise with an interesting hook. 

But while I did think there was a lot more to the story than just "he killed his wife", I totally didn't see the extent of Amy's scheme coming. Even if you might not believe he did it, the movie still succeeds in keeping you in the dark about the truth until the halfway point.

One thing I've become conscious of with Fincher's last few films is that he has so much plot to get through the only way he can make it is by having a lot of scenes very quickly edited. Most of the time it doesn't detract from the mood, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if I found out his next project was only 90 minutes.

Well, his next project is a full season of an HBO series

For the most part I did like it and dug the twist half way through but by the third act, kind of lost momentum (though I did like the ending itself). Affleck and Pike were both great and unsurprisingly it is skillfully shot, however, I can't say I loved it but mostly enjoyed and admired the film. Not Fincher's best falling behind Seven, Zodiac and The Game but ahead of Fight Club (never liked that one) and Panic Room (a bit underrated though the third act was its downfall).

***¾/*****, (B+/A-, 7.6/10, 3/4)