grim22

The Box Office Mojo issues thread. Brad Brevet is the new editor, the Simanton reign is over.

I think Amazon is the one who owns both IMDB and BOM, so we should probably aim our pitchforks at them.

Well the only reason I could think why Amazon could be doing this is to make IMDb more profitable since BOM was so heavily used.

But the bigger question is why not make BOM a pay site instead of chucking it into the ocean?

I'm sure most BOM users would've gladly paid a membership fee instead of being forced to use a half-assed IMDb pro version.

• Like 6

Col Needham, the IMDB founder, is a nice enough guy from what I saw of him on the Contributors Help boards. I can't imagine he'd have had anything to do with any decision to kill BOM (or anything else stupid that IMDB has done).

If the wild speculation is true, it's probably down to the executives at Amazon.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

They missed the boat, I might have paid to keep the forum alive(You know, under the guise of a donation drive or whatever), but the absolutely underhanded and ruthless way they run their business has turned me completely off. If Mojo is gone, I will never click on IMDb or buy from Amazon again(I'm a "Prime" member).

• Like 6

Well the only reason I could think why Amazon could be doing this is to make IMDb more profitable since BOM was so heavily used.

But the bigger question is why not make BOM a pay site instead of chucking it into the ocean?

I'm sure most BOM users would've gladly paid a membership fee instead of being forced to use a half-assed IMDb pro version.

They don't even need "most" users to pay a membership fee. If even 1/100 users got a small subscription they would make as much money, given how poorly advertising pays.

I would certainly pay a membership fee to use BOM.

They missed the boat, I might have paid to keep the forum alive(You know, under the guise of a donation drive or whatever), but the absolutely underhanded and ruthless way they run their business has turned me completely off. If Mojo is gone, I will never click on IMDb or buy from Amazon again(I'm a "Prime" member).

I actually agree with this. I've used Amazon for the longest time, but I'm seriously considering cancelling my account with them out of protest of this. If the site and all its info really is gone, that is.

• Like 4

Even after 3+ years, I am livid and will seriously NEVER forgive them for what they did to the forums and to CAYOM. They KNEW about it.  They knew we had 7 years of history and creativity and hard work on their servers, and that we were a community, and they didn't even have the decency to let us know they were shutting down the forums.  A simple "hey we might be shutting down the forums so you guys should make a backup of all your info and organize yourselves to settle somewhere else" would have sufficed.  And then have they have the AUDACITY to not even make them visible using Wayback machine.  At least you can access the site now through that even though it will be frozen at October 9 2014.  Assholes.

Edited by Hunch
  • Like 14

Even after 3+ years, I am livid and will seriously NEVER forgive them for what they did to the forums and to CAYOM. They KNEW about it.  They knew we had 7 years of history and creativity and hard work on their servers, and that we were a community, and they didn't even have the decency to let us know they were shutting down the forums.  A simple "hey we might be shutting down the forums so you guys should make a backup of all your info and organize yourselves to settle somewhere else" would have sufficed.  And then have they have the AUDACITY to not even make them visible using Wayback machine.  At least you can access the site now through that even though it will be frozen at October 9 2014.  Assholes.

That was the true crime. Not shutting the forums down, but erasing them from existence.

• Like 4

Heck, I bet there's actually a few dozen wealthy people in Hollywood who wish the site were still around.

Maybe one of them will set up a new site. I can imagine some people in the industry itself are upset about this.

^CrispyLips

And who's to say IMDB didn't like BOM in 2008? Maybe there were sane people there back then who aren't there now (IMDB hadn't metastatized to the same degree it has now).

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 5