CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 12:13 AM, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Superman is a tough character to crack. Far harder to do correct than Batman. I've grown to love the character over the years but the main issue is much of his struggle is very much internal and to portray that onscreen as well as the Superman action we expect is not an easy task. The closest we've gotten to a great Superman movie is actually Captain America: The Winter Soldier IMO. 

I think Supes is a much trickier character to write then Batman.

And you are not the first one to suggerst that the way that Marvel Studios handled Captain America is the way DC Studios should have handled Superman.  Marvel took a character who had the potential to come off as really corny and silly and made him totally believable. Someone whose optimism is tempered by reality.

I think that Snyder was simply the wrong choice to put in charge of Superman. He did Superman like he just a repackaged  Doctor Manhattan from "Watchmen". Huge mistake.

• Like 1

I truly believe Cavill’s agent/Demands for mos2 are what made this movie not happen and what is probably leading to him being recast,It hurts to even type that :(. McQuarrie was just collateral damage, just my opinion of course. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Timing and details on this is interesting:

In followup tweets, the director confirmed he wrote a proposal for Green Lantern, while the Superman idea was simply a pitch. What's more, he went on to confirm these talks took place just before the release of Mission: Impossible - Fallout, and that they were indeed for a sequel to Man of Steel. However, Warner Bros. decided not to move forward with his idea. CBR has reached out to Warner Bros. for comment.

A pitch is simply that, not even a written proposal like GL.  This would be around late spring/early summer of last year.  Let's say Mid May to early July.  That would be about four months before the Cavil leaving Superman behind rumors/news broke last Sep.  So perhaps plausible.   Also a couple of months after Affleck leaving Batman behind in Feb of that year.

If I had to guess, Aquaman was waaaay too far down the tracks to do anything about it, but DC/WB has already decided at that point to shift gears on the way they were handling DC films.  The standalone Joker film was already well under devlopment and had been for some time.  Also a couple of months before the WW1984 delay announcement (Oct 2018).

Just looks like WB/DC had had enough by that point and simply wasn't interested, even with McQuarrie's name attached.

Now this is WB, so who knows what's going to happen going forward.  But the timing does seem to add up.  McQuarrie pitched a film to a product line that was in flux at the time and WB simply wasn't interested, pedigree of the filmmaker in question notwithstanding.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

he purges his tweets every couple weeks now,  like most creatives in Hollywood do now

These were preemptively deleted while older ones are still up.

17 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

he purges his tweets every couple weeks now,  like most creatives in Hollywood do now

God Forbid he didn't have jokes and opinions that can't work in 2019.

Wise man.

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 8:06 PM, cax16 said:

Supergirl is coming next and maybe they’ll introduce a new actor for Superman in that movie. 

And your proof for this is......

If we have learned anything, it is that Warner's plans for DC films can change on a moment's notice.

RIght now I think any revival of the Superman charecters are a ways down the load. And introducing Supergirl before Superman just sounds stupid....

Edited by dudalb

13 hours ago, TestPattern said:

It feels like Chris changes his story repeatedly regarding Superman/Green Lantern a lot

https://revengeofthefans.com/2019/06/03/superman-mcquarrie-says-he-was-never-approached-for-man-of-steel-2/

In May, he said he was never approached for Superman, now he says he approached them and they turned him down.

I like McQuarrie, but to watch him keep changing his story on GReen Lantern/Superman is pretty funny.

He shold be a bit cautious, though, making the leap from directing successful spy films to a comic book hero movie can be tricky . Ask Martin Campbell about that....