CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

3 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

I'm very curious if these ARE the choices... how is this information getting out? Gunn seemed pretty intent on being one of the very few who knew what was going on.

When it's just Gunn writing a script and talking to a couple of people like Safran and Zas, it's pretty easy to keep a lid on what's happening.

When you're doing casting calls and auditions, the amount of people knowing about it about grows exponentially and it would be pretty hard to keep that unknown. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Deep Wang said:

Yeah, it was a weird movie!  A “sequel” to Superman 2, a movie 26 years old that nobody cares about anymore. 

I can’t wait to see what you say when the first trailer hits 😂

The movie will probably have an incredible marketing campaign, have no doubt. But that only takes it so far. 

1 hour ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Emma Mackey is a very boring choice. This whole project looks like a snooze fest. Superman just doesn’t work for modern audiences. Even my teacher in middle school said this. 

Well, Captain America is the closest reference, IMO. Like Cap, I don't think Supes is a billion dollar character by himself, but a really good Superman film can at least make Winter Soldier $$$ which should be great for this.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Well, Captain America is the closest reference, IMO. Like Cap, I don't think Supes is a billion dollar character by himself, but a really good Superman film can at least make Winter Soldier $$$ which should be great for this.

Possibly, but Captain America was bolstered by the then burgeoning MCU, whereas Legacy will be following the DCEU implosion. I think Legacy could make Man of Steel money, but don’t they want better?

5 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Possibly, but Captain America was bolstered by the then burgeoning MCU, whereas Legacy will be following the DCEU implosion. I think Legacy could make Man of Steel money, but don’t they want better?

$700-800m would be good and still the biggest Superman film ever. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

At this point, they'll probably be relieved if this makes even a penny more than Man of Steel

5 minutes ago, JWR said:

For all the concerns I have about box office, I'm condiment that the film will do well if it delivers.

I’m throughly confident on that. I’ll actually boldly call it something even more bold. This is the most sure fire production DC has going for them right now. More than Joker 2 and Batman 2 included.

• Like 2

People were "sick" of Spider-Man after The Amazing Spider-Man 2, then Homecoming went on to not only have great reception but outgross TASM2

Point is: If it's good, people will show up.

• Like 7

Just now, JWR said:

People were "sick" of Spider-Man after The Amazing Spider-Man 2, then Homecoming went on to not only have great reception but outgross TASM2

Point is: If it's good, people will show up.

Exactly. I remember vividly people underplaying MCU’s Spider-Man and how Spider-Man was doomed after TASM and how Spider-Man would never be as big as Batman and yadda yadda. And yet, here we are. 

• Like 3

Regarding the Spider-Man comparison, Homecoming benefitted from being part of the MCU, which was something people had been clamoring for, so that certainly helped. Plus, Spidey in general has never really had a problem maintaining relevance in the 21st century. 

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

Regarding the Spider-Man comparison, Homecoming benefitted from being part of the MCU, which was something people had been clamoring for, so that certainly helped. Plus, Spidey in general has never really had a problem maintaining relevance in the 21st century. 

Looking back now it’s easy to say. I was here back in the TASM days.

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Looking back now it’s easy to say. I was here back in the TASM days.

Iron Man x Spider-Man is a massive, massive crossover. I think Homecoming only making 850M WW (after being boosted by a quasi-Avengers crossover) shows the damage done by TASM

• Like 2

Just now, PlatnumRoyce said:

Iron Man x Spider-Man is a massive, massive crossover. I think Homecoming only making 850M WW (after being boosted by a quasi-Avengers crossover) shows the damage done by TASM

That’s the issue with the "crossover means more money" mentality. I never subscribed to that. A reboot after a failed one is about regaining good will. Not making crazy profit. 

18 hours ago, TMP said:

Eisenberg was a dogshit lex and the only "constant" we've seen for big-screen Lex's outside of him has been them being comedic relief

? Superman Returns was aping Hackman's Luthor. Hackman's Luthor is a really fun, well defined character (somewhat small time feeling con-man) but he's pretty different from the generic Luthor character as developed. Across all tv/film Luthor adaptations I could agree with a small amount of connective tissue but 1977-2006 really only saw one Luthor character on the big screen.