CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

Its now come out that Jacob Elordi was indeed their first choice and the only one they sought after but he indeed did not want the role and refused the audition. 

Dumb.

He should read Josh Hartnett's current opinion of his own decisions re: Batman and Superman. Elordi will be surprised how quickly he becomes a nobody if he isn't careful. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Its now come out that Jacob Elordi was indeed their first choice and the only one they sought after but he indeed did not want the role and refused the audition. 

Dumb.

He should read Josh Hartnett's current opinion of his own decisions re: Batman and Superman. Elordi will be surprised how quickly he becomes a nobody if he isn't careful. 

Eroldi sounds like a bit of an arrogant jerk every time I read about him to be honest. It’s ok not to want a big commitment on a movie like this, but he’s also said some pretty stupid things recently about The Kissing Booth being ridiculous and how he didn’t wanna make it, and that’s the movie that literally put him on the map. 

Edited by Arlborn

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

Dumb.

Hartnett has a better career rn than Cavill and Routh combined so idk what you’re spewing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TMP said:

Hartnett has a better career rn than Cavill and Routh combined so idk what you’re spewing

I mean, this is obviously not true. Cavill is about to headline a major series and no doubt could return to the show he just left if he wanted to. He has 2 signature roles that HUGE fanbases would love to see him return to. Josh does not have that. Yeah, Hartnett is obviously a better actor than Cavill at this point, and had 3 very well received, medium to high profile roles in 2023, but he unless he lands a true A level role within the next 12 months, I don't think he is is full blown comeback territory. 

Hartnett also went 15 years without a major role in a major film from 2007 to 2023. If he had been Nolan's Batman, he is at a minimum Jake Gyllenhaal level clout, Christian Bale or Ben Affleck, maybe even Brad Pitt level, in 2023. It is an insane difference. Instead he is trying to do something similar to Collin Farrell. 

Elordi is not at the level of Josh circa 2002/2003 or Pattinson 2012ish, Chalamet and Butler (to a lesser extent) are there, but he isn't that far off. He needs to choose something high quality that is still mainstream and high profile soon or he will be just another name. Gunn's Superman could have cemented his status in Hollywood for the next 2 decades, it isn't something to simply say "no thanks".

Edited by excel1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Eroldi sounds like a bit of an arrogant jerk every time I read about him to be honest. It’s ok not to want a big commitment on a movie like this, but he’s also said some pretty stupid things recently about The Kissing Booth being ridiculous and how he didn’t wanna make it, and that’s the movie that literally put him on the map. 

Elordi is supposedly extremely pleasant and polite to work with and no doubt he is learning a lesson about what he shouldn't say out loud. The Superman role thing is silly, he is acting like a post 2001 Hatnett or post Twilight Rob Pattison except he has nothing resembling the success or status those 2 had to justify their "selectivity", which still momentarily killed both of their careers. 

Edited by excel1

2 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I mean, this is obviously not true. Cavill is about to headline a major series and no about could return to the show he just left if he wanted to. Yeah, Hartnett is obviously a better actor than Cavill at this point, and had 3 very well received, medium to high profile roles in 2023, but he unless he lands a true A level role within the next 12 months, I don't think he is is full blown comeback territory. 

Cavill is never going to be a big star with the skill-set he has, sorry. He’s not very charismatic, and he’s never been very good at dramatic acting either. He’s gonna be chris evans 2.0 - some white guy who gets cast in netflix junk no one watches lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TMP said:

Cavill is never going to be a big star with the skill-set he has, sorry. He’s not very charismatic, and he’s never been very good at dramatic acting either. He’s gonna be chris evans 2.0 - some white guy who gets cast in netflix junk no one watches lol

I nean surely Daniel Day Lewis decided to back off a bit from acting when he saw thespians like The Rock, Vin Diesel and Statham together in the indie drama known as Fast and Furious.

Cavill has all it takes to be a big star and some of his upcoming projects are rather interesting. Stahelsky’s Highlander if done right can give him a great small franchise to lead while he pursues other roles as well. And he said it himself that he wants to be an Action star which he has already achieved.

But to me this discussion is rather pointless honestly. In these days there are no stars like the old days unless your name is Tom Cruise or Dicaprio. These actors just play some roles and hope for the best. Even the stars that headline Marvel in its peak have not find much success outside the franchise.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

I nean surely Daniel Day Lewis decided to back off a bit from acting when he saw thespians like The Rock, Vin Diesel and Statham together in the indie drama known as Fast and Furious.

Cavill has all it takes to be a big star and some of his upcoming projects are rather interesting. Stahelsky’s Highlander if done right can give him a great small franchise to lead while he pursues other roles as well. And he said it himself that he wants to be an Action star which he has already achieved.

But to me this discussion is rather pointless honestly. In these days there are no stars like the old days unless your name is Tom Cruise or Dicaprio. These actors just play some roles and hope for the best. Even the stars that headline Marvel in its peak have not find much success outside the franchise.

The Rock has “charisma”, or at least the visage of it, while Statham pretty much only appeals to a specific target but hits that mark every-time. Vin produces his own stuff so it doesn’t feel like the right comparison; F&F is his baby so it makes sense why he’s still the face of it. Cavill doesn’t have that, and I’ll be shocked if Highlander is the project that changes his trajectory this much. The Marvel comparison is apt because I don’t think any of those guys will have great careers other than the already established stars like Cumberbatch & RDJ. Stranger things have happened, though, so we’ll see

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

As somebody who loved Prometheus, I'll never forgive Scott for Alien Covenant. I really wish we could have seen Shaw finding her answers about the Engineers. I can only hope Disney revives her for one last time in a future Alien movie. 

But retcon the David creating xenomorphs bit, please. 

I'm really hoping Gladiator 2 ends up good.

Did you post this in the wrong thread?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, TMP said:

Evans is a giant name, though. If Nolan decided to cast Evans in his next film, Evans is a legitimate headliner. If they announce Cavill as Bond, it is going to be much more hyped than it would be if they went another B level actor previously rumored. If they announce Hartnett in a similar role, say Harvey Dent, Dr Doom, or even an older Batman for Gunn, it would not generate the same type of enthusiasm at this point. Hartnett's primary fanbase, at his peak, was 15 year old girls who are now approaching 40. On occasion, he has impressed some critics. But his name doesn't carry the instant appeal fo Cavill in a certain role. 

Of course, no way do I see Cavill capable of the potent screen presence Hartnett showed in Oppenheimer or Black Mirror this year, but that its a different issue. 

Edited by excel1

10 hours ago, excel1 said:

Dumb.

Nowhere was it ever mentioned by absolutely anyone that Elordi was the "first choice" for Superman. Even Elordi said he was invited to audition, the role outright was never offered to him (and if he had auditioned, my feeling is he would've still lost to Corenswet)

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2023 at 8:11 PM, 21C said:

Nowhere was it ever mentioned by absolutely anyone that Elordi was the "first choice" for Superman. Even Elordi said he was invited to audition, the role outright was never offered to him (and if he had auditioned, my feeling is he would've still lost to Corenswet)

One of the articles specified that he was one of the only ones invited to audition. Nowhere in here do I say he was offered it, but he clearly was on the initial shortlist and to outright say no is....dumb.

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

One of the articles specified that he was one of the only ones invited to audition. Nowhere in here do I say he was offered it, but he clearly was on the initial shortlist and to outright say no is....dumb.

Maybe he just doesn’t want his career to be defined by a character who people place a ridiculous amount of expectations for? 

On 11/24/2023 at 10:47 PM, WittyUsername said:

Maybe he just doesn’t want his career to be defined by a character who people place a ridiculous amount of expectations for? 

You could probably stopped at the end of the bold TBH lol