CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

2 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Honestly, it's so fucking refreshing to see some actual direction and leadership at DC now. James Gunn is a no-bullshit leader who will waste no time debunking wild rumours before they spread everywhere. It's such a stark contrast to the Johns+Berg and Hamada eras where everyone and everything was getting a new movie every hour and weird, obscure characters were getting priority over fixing the classic heroes. For Allah's sake, Hamada was giving the fucking Wonder Twins and Black Canary their own movies before even thinking about getting Henry Cavill back as Superman.

Except when you try to police the rumour mill all it does is muddy the waters even more because the ones you don't speak on now get given more legitimacy because he didn't shut it down. His absence of a public comment on Gal's comments were utterly bizzare when he is out responding to Twitter comments from people with 17 followers.

And when he does speak, he trips over himself. No dual roles But Sean Gunn has them so hey now you gotta clarify even more and make it even messier.

Also, aren't 2 of the first projects creature commandos and the authority. How is that not giving priority to obscure characters over fixing the classic heros first? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dominic Draper said:

Except when you try to police the rumour mill all it does is muddy the waters even more because the ones you don't speak on now get given more legitimacy because he didn't shut it down. His absence of a public comment on Gal's comments were utterly bizzare when he is out responding to Twitter comments from people with 17 followers.

And when he does speak, he trips over himself. No dual roles But Sean Gunn has them so hey now you gotta clarify even more and make it even messier.

Also, aren't 2 of the first projects creature commandos and the authority. How is that not giving priority to obscure characters over fixing the classic heros first? 

The main difference here is that there's a big Superman reboot on the way the year after Creature Commandos. There are also a new Batman movie and a Green Lantern television series in active development. Unlike the previous regime this one is clearly committing to building a foundation with the classic heroes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dominic Draper said:

Gunn also previously insisted that Ben Affleck wanted to direct something for the DCU, and then when Affleck made it clear that he wasn’t interested, Gunn never said a word about him again, even though people all over social media were calling him a liar. Given how quick Gunn is to shut down random no name accounts that accuse him of lying, that’s definitely notable. 

Sure, you could claim that perhaps Affleck was interested, only to change his mind, but it’s worth remembering that he had stated last year that he had become disillusioned with the studio system, and that moving forward, he would only direct movies from his own production company. Those don’t sound like the words of someone who was interested in being part of James Gunn’s DCU. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The main difference here is that there's a big Superman reboot on the way the year after Creature Commandos. There are also a new Batman movie and a Green Lantern television series in active development. Unlike the previous regime this one is clearly committing to building a foundation with the classic heroes.

A non-polarizing foundation that feels like it was planned out. That's the key difference. Granted, with how increasingly chaotic things are at Warner Bros, there's immense pressure on this movie to deliver and then some.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Gunn also previously insisted that Ben Affleck wanted to direct something for the DCU, and then when Affleck made it clear that he wasn’t interested, Gunn never said a word about him again, even though people all over social media were calling him a liar. Given how quick Gunn is to shut down random no name accounts that accuse him of lying, that’s definitely notable. 

Sure, you could claim that perhaps Affleck was interested, only to change his mind, but it’s worth remembering that he had stated last year that he had become disillusioned with the studio system, and that moving forward, he would only direct movies from his own production company. Those don’t sound like the words of someone who was interested in being part of James Gunn’s DCU. 

Bringing this tired old shit out again I see 

5 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

No Flash, no Wonder Woman, No Aquaman. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

No Flash, no Wonder Woman, No Aquaman. 

In fairness, there is that Themiscyra prequel show. Still, introducing a new Wonder Woman and Aquaman is going to feel a bit awkward no matter what, since those two don’t really have a history of being played by multiple different actors like Batman and Superman. The Flash would be easier to get away with, since Ezra Miller never really left much of an impression on the general public. Plus, they could use Wally West if they really want to set themselves apart. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

We were already talking about the downsides of Gunn trying to be transparent with fans and debunking the rumor mills, so that’s another example. 

And, again, Gunn has been transparent. There are no downsides because people that have no reading comprehension will always be angry no matter what.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

We were already talking about the downsides of Gunn trying to be transparent with fans and debunking the rumor mills, so that’s another example. 

Also whatever the heck went on in the meeting with Gal Gadot. That's two actors now who pretty much claim Gunn flat out lied or at least deliberately used confusing semantics in two different instances offline, so I'm not sure him being this vocal online is a good thing.

Having said that, I'm usually cool with official sources debunking rumors. With Gunn's murky track record though,  I won't be surprised if he's passing off things that were actually once part of the plan as completely baseless rumors. This is the second time he's debunked a reputed trade, right? That NEVER happens so you've got to wonder.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Also whatever the heck went on in the meeting with Gal Gadot. That's two actors now who pretty much claim Gunn flat out lied or at least deliberately used confusing semantics in two different instances offline, so I'm not sure him being this vocal online is a good thing.

Having said that, I'm usually cool with official sources debunking rumors. With Gunn's murky track record though,  I won't be surprised if he's passing off things that were actually once part of the plan as completely baseless rumors. This is the second time he's debunked a reputed trade, right? That NEVER happens so you've got to wonder.

It doesn’t help that much of Gunn’s debunking tends to come across like the kind of vague jargon that you would expect a lawyer to use. For example, he previously claimed that they didn’t “boot” Gal Gadot. You could argue that he technically wasn’t lying, because Gal Gadot was “never hired” for the DCU, but it still comes off as a misleading statement that created a lot of unnecessary confusion at the time. 

Gunn has a very difficult PR game to play right now; the perils of exiting a fractured multi-film franchise with a small but extremely devoted following, including numerous actors who felt they never got to fully play out their character arcs, and the mandate of starting a new universe populated by some of those same characters.  The pressure on his 'Superman' to prove his vision will be enormous.  I predict there will be no neck-breaking...at least, not by Superman, himself. 😉  "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you're never going to please all of the people all of the time."  -- my Grandma.   

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

In fact, zero people have ever said Gunn has lied. But spreading bullshit generates clicks I guess!

On 12/17/2023 at 7:44 AM, Macleod said:

Gunn has a very difficult PR game to play right now; the perils of exiting a fractured multi-film franchise with a small but extremely devoted following, including numerous actors who felt they never got to fully play out their character arcs, and the mandate of starting a new universe populated by some of those same characters.  The pressure on his 'Superman' to prove his vision will be enormous.  I predict there will be no neck-breaking...at least, not by Superman, himself. 😉  "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you're never going to please all of the people all of the time."  -- my Grandma.   

No matter what Gunn does with the DCU he is going to make people mad at him.

I think in the end, he is going to have just ignore, the die hard Snyderverse fans; nothing he will never make them happy.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 2:57 AM, grim22 said:

I think in the end the Cavill thing just came down to both parties having completely different visions for the character. Cavill and his team felt like he was a star and a draw and wanted a solo movie, Hamada and Co wanted to test that theory through more cameo appearances leading up to a solo. And Cavill wanted control over his character since he felt he had been done wrong post MoS. At that same time, Hamada wanted to see his vision through to Crisis. Both of them just got stuck in their corners.

If true, then Cavill really overestimated his leverage. I don't think DC/Warners was going to give creative control over Superman to ANY actor.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dudalb said:

No matter what Gunn does with the DCU he is going to make people mad at him.

I think in the end, he is going to have just ignore, the die hard Snyderverse fans; nothing he will never make them happy.

That’s so true but I honestly don’t see Gunn being able to ignore those individuals even if he wanted to.
I wouldn’t want to be in his position and I grew up on DC and wanting it to succeed but Gunn’s tendency to react to any and every little thing or person as well as apathy for DC films as well as CBMs in general is going to be quite the climb for him and WB/DC. The landscape has clearly changed towards CBMs and I think Gunn is going to face what many facets of media have faced before, one minute you’re hot, the next you’re not. Hell if anything Gunn may encounter what David Lee Roth encountered when he went solo from Van Halen 

Edited by Megajohn01
Added info