CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

6 hours ago, Speedorito said:

I feel like now that The Flash and Aquaman 2 are behind us, the internet should really move on from talking about Snyder fans. Do we need to be told what Snyder fans think after every piece of news drops? If Superman flops will that be blamed on Snyder fans? If it’s a huge success will that somehow be recontextualized to somehow be about Snyder fans too?

It’s time to put that behind us.

I mostly agree but it's a little difficult when they flood every comment section on social media.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, poweranimals said:

I mostly agree but it's a little difficult when they flood every comment section on social media.

People can have differing opinions without them being a "Snyder fan", just FYI. ;)

I think it actually looks pretty cool and I have near absolute faith in Gunn, but it's a bit concerning to me that discourse around this is already mixed this far out.

I think this will need at least The Batman numbers to be considered a hit, and it's a pretty stark contrast when you compare the  positivity surrounding the suit rollout of that film. This thing really needs all the good word of mouth and hype it can get, because currently I just don't see how it's possible given the box office history of both the character and Gunn (not including MCU). 

I think it's reasonably easy to right the ship on the hype front, comic book fans are some of the most shallow and easily swayed people out there, but when a whole cinematic universe is resting on the shoulders of this movie I was hoping for a bit of better first impression. 

32 minutes ago, SaltyPistola said:

I think it actually looks pretty cool and I have near absolute faith in Gunn, but it's a bit concerning to me that discourse around this is already mixed this far out.

I think this will need at least The Batman numbers to be considered a hit, and it's a pretty stark contrast when you compare the  positivity surrounding the suit rollout of that film. This thing really needs all the good word of mouth and hype it can get, because currently I just don't see how it's possible given the box office history of both the character and Gunn (not including MCU). 

Well you should include the MCU. The fact Guardians 3 did 800 million+ despite initial lackluster pre-sales and with Marvel being in its worst possible year clearly indicates that yes you can and should absolutely credit him for the success of those films.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, 21C said:

Well you should include the MCU. The fact Guardians 3 did 800 million+ despite initial lackluster pre-sales and with Marvel being in its worst possible year clearly indicates that yes you can and should absolutely credit him for the success of those films.

Guardians had the backing of the MCU when it was reaching peak popularity and good will. DC or Superman does not have that. And hasn't for a long time. Have any of Gunn's non MCU films been a success? How did Suicide Squad do? Obviously Gunn is responsible for the critical success of the MCU, but if you removed the marvel branding and marketing I very much doubt it would have had anywhere near the level of commercial success it did. 

Edited by SaltyPistola

1 minute ago, SaltyPistola said:

Guardians had the backing of the MCU when it was reaching peak popularity and good will. DC or Superman does not have that. And hasn't for a long time. Have any of Gunn's non MCU films been a success? How did Suicide Squad do?

The first Guardians was such a big hit largely because it was well-liked (which we can credit to Gunn.) Guardians was the final cog in the MCU wheel that made audiences associate MCU with quality.

Posted (edited)

I think the movie will be decent, and I say that as someone totally indifferent to the good-but-not-that-good Guardians films. It’s an incongruent photo and I’m sure that was the intention.

If I was to nitpick I’d say: Corenswet has a really bland face. You couldn’t pick the guy out in a lineup of one. 

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

You know what's never killed a movie? A first look image.

And yet people piss, bitch, moan, overreact, and over analyze because well these are the times we live in.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AniNate said:

CBMs are clearly not dead yet as long as a single image gets a media cycle full of overanalysis

It's so funny how the people who claim CBMs are dead and they are sick of them feel the need to comment on them when any news breaks.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, AniNate said:

CBMs are clearly not dead yet as long as a single image gets a media cycle full of overanalysis

Is it "comic book movies?" I'm toying with pretending Superman: Legacy is more like 2005's King Kong. Even if there have been superman flops, Superman is self-evidently a well known cultural figure and the marketing constantly seems to indicate it's clearly a film audiences have baked in interest in. That's really not been true recently of the elevator pitch of a super hero movie. What if Superman is obviously going to be big because its superman? 

8 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

It's rare but marketing can shoot itself in the foot. I don't think any film had a worse pre-release marketing campaign than Trank's Fantastic Four and the "containment suit" look of the heroes was poorly received. Of course, that's not so much the "first look image" problem as much as it is a core concept + execution problem that a first look image illustrates. 

1 hour ago, emoviefan said:

And yet people piss, bitch, moan, overreact, and over analyze because well these are the times we live in.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/is-james-bond-now-blond-and-bearded.94706/

#neverforget

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Is it "comic book movies?" I'm toying with pretending Superman: Legacy is more like 2005's King Kong. Even if there have been superman flops, Superman is self-evidently a well known cultural figure and the marketing constantly seems to indicate it's clearly a film audiences have baked in interest in. That's really not been true recently of the elevator pitch of a super hero movie. What if Superman is obviously going to be big because its superman? 

I mean, yeah, iconic figures like Superman, Batman, Spider-Man are always gonna be a step above, but still, we're clearly nowhere near a Quest for Peace level of apathy yet

49 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

It's rare but marketing can shoot itself in the foot. I don't think any film had a worse pre-release marketing campaign than Trank's Fantastic Four and the "containment suit" look of the heroes was poorly received. Of course, that's not so much the "first look image" problem as much as it is a core concept + execution problem that a first look image illustrates. 

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/is-james-bond-now-blond-and-bearded.94706/

#neverforget

I feel like Superman is in a weird spot where, unlike Spider-Man and Batman, he’s iconic but not necessarily popular with the general audience. 

The next few years in a nutshell:

CBM Doomsayers: CBMS are dead

2024: The 2 biggest films are CBMs

CBM Doomsayers: This year's a fluke. Wait for 2025.

2025: Superhero films do middling business.

CBM Doomsayers: SEE?

2026: Avengers 5, Spidey 4, Spider-Verse 3 and The Batman 2 are huge 

CBM Doomsayers: This year's a fluke again

2027: Avengers 6 and X-Men are huge

CBM Doomsayers: Okay but wait for a year without Batman, Deadpool, Avengers, Spider-Man, X-Men, Joker

2028: Teen Titans breaks out

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

All this fuss over one still is ridiculous, and another example of why I don't hold current "Fandom:" or "Giikdom" in high regard. Just too much dumb silliness.

Edited by dudalb