CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

God, This and Deaspool comng out within two weeks of each other will reignite the Marvel DC wars, God help us all.

I think both films will do very well, but that with not stop the stupid fanwars from heating up.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

God, This and Deaspool comng out within two weeks of each other will reignite the Marvel DC wars, God help us all.

I think both films will do very well, but that with not stop the stupid fanwars from heating up.

Within 1 year of each other you mean.

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

12 hours ago, dudalb said:

You do realize Superman is next year?

5 hours ago, emoviefan said:

You do realize Superman is next year?

GOd, I don't see how that mistake was made.

I must have had Fantastic Four at the back of my mind.

Which is even more interesting; we have the duel of two films trying to launch a comic book franchise which has had bad luck at the movies lately

Edited by dudalb

I don't see the Marvel vs. DC wars reigniting anytime soon, or at least nowhere near the same intensity of 2015-2021. Mainly because most of the "flame warriors" have turned against their own brands. Snyder bros against WB/DC and anti-wokes against Feige/MCU.

• Sad 1

On 2/19/2023 at 11:30 AM, grim22 said:

On my phone and about 1000+ miles away from my computer and the slack messages which go into this, so will try my best to give as much detail and can fill in the rest whenever I get back to my laptop post this extended weekend.

So why February 18? Well, my team was part of the XFL relaunch, which part exactly I can't tell you because that will be easy to trace back. So there was a lot of communication with Seven Bucks productions working closely with individuals who have ties to both football and to the movie side of things. Now that the XFL is launched again, the NDAs are up.

I'll tell you what I'm stating is fact and what is my opinion.

So here goes

1. Cavill was never signed up for Superman appearances. Literally never since the THR story from 5 years ago. So all the "scoops" and even trade articles from Deadline and stuff were complete BS. How do I know? Well, it's one of the first things I tried to find out and got confirmation on.

2. Black Adam always had a Superman cameo, but it was more along the lines of Shazam than a Superman you could see. The movie ended the same way with a Superman emerging from the shadows but we cut to The Rock before we see who is Superman.

Opinion: The Rock has always wanted to fight Superman on film, regardless of which character he would play as evidenced by him campaigning for John Stewart using the hashtag #JohnStewartCanStillWhupSupermansAss

3. there was no plan for WB to appear at SDCC 2022, it was put together only because The Rock demanded it. They were in a transition mode and didn't want to commit to a SDCC presentation

4. Cavill and his team had reached out to WB over the years about Superman with varying levels of interest depending on who was in charge. The Rock frankly didn't care and could take it or leave it with Cavill. From what I gather, he never pushed hard for Cavill over the years. He just wanted a Superman, could be anyone.

5. There was ZERO movement towards any Cavill appearance at SDCC, literally zero. No one had reached out to him, no contracts in place, no plan to have him in Black Adam.

6. The rumor over SDCC became so loud that it was the only thing The Rock was asked about that weekend. From what I heard "It's tiring that the only thing people care about is Cavill appearing in Black Adam which is just not true" 

Opinion: I think the loud rumor is what led to The Rock pulling his weight and getting Cavill signed for a cameo contract because people weren't interested in Black Adam much before that point

7. Now to the big point, where did the rumor originate? Are you ready for the single dumbest thing you may ever hear? So Deadline has a tips site where anyone can submit an anonymous tip about the entertainment industry goings on. It's located here: https://deadline.com/got-a-tip/

They got an anonymous tip that Cavill will be at SDCC as Superman. Now you might be asking - "so was the tip accompanied by any evidence or documents or anything?". Nope. Based on what I know from people who saw the tip, the tip literally only said "Cavill will appear at SDCC as Superman". From: Anon.

That's the entire extent of the "huge buzz around Cavill appearing". One random anon tip which no one knows where or whom it originated from. But I can tell you it didn't originate from Seven Bucks, didn't originate from WB and didn't originate from Cavill's camp. So my best guess - it was a random fan throwing a wish into the universe.

8. Freaking deadline runs with that anon tip and pretty much overshadows everything over SDCC. The Rock gets scared, gets Cavill onboard for discussions with Hamada's bosses and him and Hiram Garcia sell them a plan for a movie arc with Black Adam, a Black Adam vs Superman movie, and eventually a movie with the Justice League taking on Black Adam who has gone crazy because the kid from Black Adam is killed.

9. Seven Bucks is really angling hard to become the stewards of DC and everyone is waiting on the release of Black Adam to see if that's going to happen

10. Cavill gets his cameo and gets a contract for 3 more cameos afaik. I'm guessing Flash, Supergirl and something else. He also gets a commitment to develop a new Superman movie without any assurance it will get made

11. Black Adam screens for critics, reactions are very mixed, the last hope is the opening weekend, so they pretty much start leaking the Cavill appearance. Was a fun time on the Seven Bucks slack - everyone just running around trying to goose the box office take

12. Black Adam releases, doesn't do great but actually does better than expectations internally. Not enough for WB or Seven Bucks though. 

13. Garcia and Seven Bucks no longer in consideration to run DC. Gunn and Safran announced.

14. At this point, I drop off from the project since we have done our jobs and no longer have visibility into the goings on 

So there you have it, the single dumbest exclusive I know. The entire entertainment news industry is a sham.

Feels like the timelines and stuff mentioned in this article match up to everything I had heard

Post by @umbertogonzalez
View on Threads
  • Like 3