CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

9 minutes ago, Belakor said:

Looks worse TBH, too many characters on screen already. All I see are jokes about the red underwear over the pants. LOL.

I presume you are a bit bitter that Cavill was not brought back as Supes?

Amazed how many people think that Supes on screen began with Cavill. Never heard of Christopher Reeve, I guess.

• Like 2

I dont think look of costume is the problem. Snyder flicks were beyond mediocre to absolute cluster****. I am sure what ever Gunn will do, it will be a better movie. Plus "look and feel" of the costume wont be similar post CGI for sure. That said my problem is we are way past peak SH era. This should have happened post JL. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I dont think look of costume is the problem. Snyder flicks were beyond mediocre to absolute cluster****. I am sure what ever Gunn will do, it will be a better movie. Plus "look and feel" of the costume wont be similar post CGI for sure. That said my problem is we are way past peak SH era. This should have happened post JL. 

Hey, the Snyderites hated this movie from day one. Not surprised they are attacking it.

In today's Super Hero burnout market, sad thing is this could be a really great movie and still not be the big hit warners needs.

Curiose, if they include Mr Terrific religious views..or his lack thereof. That was one of his more unique things.

Edited by dudalb

the suit material and red trunks look a disaster in these pics, hopefully it looks better on film.

I think this has a much higher floor than 2023 superhero flops, for a variety of reasons. I also think there is demand for a 'traditional' superman film. Reviews and advertising are critical here, though. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, Belakor said:

That suit looks horrible, like a bad cosplay. 

Sorry but MoS suit is 10 times better.

This dude looks like a wish version of Cavil. 

1 hour ago, Belakor said:

Henry Cavill Superman GIF

If you're going to compare/contrast MoS, at least use set report photos:

d2f510c11d56d5922e79058a2de3662e.jpg

How is the above appreciably different from this:

GQ4QiC2XgAAposg?format=jpg&name=medium

The costume itself that is.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, dudalb said:

Some people, still angry over Cavill, want this film to fail.

I don't think it's just that as this is taking flak from folks who want the entire CBM industry (or at least the non-"edgy" portion of it) to crash and burn. Plus just general Outrage Stoking from Grifters and Griefers. 

That being said, I tend to think this film a has a lot of good will going for it and folks should mostly ignore the grifters and griefers who are out there chasing clicks for likes and/or money as they ultimately aren't gonna matter all that much in the end, if the quality is actually there for the movie.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The Cavill suit was much better fitted, and felt more alien/sci-fi themed and updated. The Corenswet suit looks baggy in places and sort of basic. The newer suit is lacking a perspective and just seems very on the nose overall. Superman was a character that needed a bit of a reinvention in my opinion. RB and DC are well cast in their roles, but it just doesn’t excite me in anyway at the moment because these set photos could easily be a 2010’s era Superman TV show or 1990’s Superman movie. I’m not seeing any risks or big swings. 

6 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

The Cavill suit was much better fitted, and felt more alien/sci-fi themed and updated. The Corenswet suit looks baggy in places and sort of basic. The newer suit is lacking a perspective and just seems very on the nose overall. Superman was a character that needed a bit of a reinvention in my opinion. RB and DC are well cast in their roles, but it just doesn’t excite me in anyway at the moment because these set photos could easily be a 2010’s era Superman TV show or 1990’s Superman movie. I’m not seeing any risks or big swings. 

Could it also just not be that you're used to the Cavill suit?  After all, when *I* look at it in the set photos, I see a cheap muscle suit with exaggerated gloss and sheen.  Not to mention a really prominent... bulge. 

(also, Superman shouldn't be "alien", but that's a different topic)

But it works better on-screen.  Tend to think one should actually wait and see how this looks within the tone and style of the movie.  Plus color grading, CGI touchups and everything else.

• Like 2

It's also a stylistic/artistic decision on whether or not Superman ought to look like a roided out wrestler with a painted on costume.  Hard to tell just from looking at set photos, again especially before any touching up, but Superman being *extremely* muscle bound isn't the only direction to take the character.

If one is looking for "risks" or "big swings" having a bit more 'ordinary' (for lack of a better word) looking Supes seems like a bit of a swing to me.  Again noting that set photos are often miles away from what is actually seen after months and months and months of post.

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

(so Clark combs his hair whenever he changes into Superman?)

Don't be silly.  He also  changes his posture: 👍

clarksuperman.jpg

(BTW, I will note a subtle different in the hair lick in the side-by-side, but that's quibbling)

===

EDIT:

Snark aside, body posture has *LONG* been part and parcel of separating Clark Kent from Superman:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/9/4/16252100/superman-christopher-reeve-clark-kent-transformation

While I won't go nearly as far as the article author in saying only Christopher Reeve has been able to effectively sell the difference, I will agree he was very very very good at establishing two distinctly separate people.  Gonna pull up these pair of gifs from the article as a demonstration:

supes.gif

supes_2.gif

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Could it also just not be that you're used to the Cavill suit?  After all, when *I* look at it in the set photos, I see a cheap muscle suit with exaggerated gloss and sheen.  Not to mention a really prominent... bulge. 

But it works better on-screen.  Tend to think one should actually wait and see how this looks within the tone and style of the movie.  Plus color grading, CGI touchups and everything else.

I suspect some old timers had problems adjusting to the differences between the Cavill era suit and the Reeve era suit

And, I hate to say it, but this fuss over Supes suit is the kind of thing fanboys love to obsses over but the GA does not give a shit about.

One  play from the Snyder playbook I hope GUnn has done. Use the Ohio national guard for the soliders in the film the way Snyder did in MOS.. It is a win win; they already have the uniforms and equipment and they know how soliders move and react in a dangerous situation a 100 times better then any extra would.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Don't be silly.  He also  changes his posture: 👍

clarksuperman.jpg

(BTW, I will note a subtle different in the hair lick in the side-by-side, but that's quibbling)

One of the better things about Reeve as Superman was the way he was able to make Clark so different from Supes you could actualy buy Lois's not knowing they are the same person.

Thought, frankly, I hope they do what Snyder did in TOS and have Lois know from the start Supes secret identity. Saves a lot of nonsense that might work with something like Lois and Clark but not here. And eventhe reeves films dropped the Lois does not know early in the Second film.

36 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

The Cavill suit was much better fitted, and felt more alien/sci-fi themed and updated. The Corenswet suit looks baggy in places and sort of basic

Who cares if it's baggy? Gunns probably going with it being handmade and not alien pleather

22 minutes ago, John Marston said:

not caring for the costume and the hair is laughable (so Clark combs his hair whenever he changes into Superman?). Don't think the direction they are taking this is for me.

I was just going to say "hipster Clark Kent". Eh. I guess it'll go over better with Gen Z.

2 hours ago, Belakor said:

Looks worse TBH, too many characters on screen already. All I see are jokes about the red underwear over the pants. LOL.

We get it. You are an edgy boy who does not like fun. Get some new material.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

Waiting to see it in motion. That's crazy talk. GTFO with that.  

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

the above has a bigger bulge and thus wins.