CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

He said that Cavill went to WB with McQuarrie interested to direct MOS and a story that the two of them had already worked on and they turned him down.And if true, Cavill deserved the raise and the executive Credit as he had found a director and worked on the script.What a bunch of shitheads head WB?

1 hour ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

He said that Cavill went to WB with McQuarrie interested to direct MOS and a story that the two of them had already worked on and they turned him down.And if true, Cavill deserved the raise and the executive Credit as he had found a director and worked on the script.What a bunch of shitheads head WB?

The Superman story from Man of Steel through Justice League wasn’t well received by audiences. Also I doubt Any Adams, Jesse Eisenberg, etc., would’ve wanted to return. The only ones campaigning for this are Henry Cavill and fans.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

The Superman story from Man of Steel through Justice League wasn’t well received by audiences. Also I doubt Any Adams, Jesse Eisenberg, etc., would’ve wanted to return. The only ones campaigning for this are Henry Cavill and fans.

Actually I think MOS was actually liked and as for BVS and JL...Supes seem to be one of the few aspects that people liked.Plus, it was never Cavill’s fault.

Amy Adams and Jesse Eisenberg have always been supportive of these films, and don't seem affected by the hate on social media. I see no reason for them not to return, it's a smaller role for both of them anyway. 

People used to say Jennifer Lawrence and Michael Fassbender couldn't wait to get out of their X-Men contracts, because it was so beneath them. Yet when they were free from the franchise, they made a decision to return for Dark Phoenix. J-Law even encouraged her friend Simon Kinberg to take on the director role.

38 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Actually I think MOS was actually liked and as for BVS and JL...Supes seem to be one of the few aspects that people liked.Plus, it was never Cavill’s fault.

Most people hated MoS either because they changed Supes too much or because Lois was too involved in the story (I fall into a bit of both, but I still love MoS, bless Zimmer).

I'm not surprised WB has turned down Cavill and Chris. Superman is an property expensive that has failed to bring in the big bucks since Donner. As a business, why chance taking another hit by making a $150 million dollar with a lead that isn't overwhelmingly beloved and a director that does not have an established box office record outside of directing for an established franchise?

Only JJ can save Superman (dont care how you do it JJ, just saaaave supes).

Also, they should've made a Superman movie with Tom Welling in his prime.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

The safest director to do the next Superman movie is probably the one who made the only profitable Superman movies since Superman II.

9 minutes ago, The Chad DC said:

Most people hated MoS either because they changed Supes too much or because Lois was too involved in the story (I fall into a bit of both, but I still love MoS, bless Zimmer).

I'm not surprised WB has turned down Cavill and Chris. Superman is an property expensive that has failed to bring in the big bucks since Donner. As a business, why chance taking another hit by making a $150 million dollar with a lead that isn't overwhelmingly beloved and a director that does not have an established box office record outside of directing for an established franchise?

Only JJ can save Superman (dont care how you do it JJ, just saaaave supes).

Also, they should've made a Superman movie with Tom Welling in his prime.

Neither MOS or BVS lost money.In fact both brought money back to the studio, even if it was less than expected.Plus, the calls for MOS to make 1B back in the day were kind of unrealistic expectations so of course the film making 650M seemed like a disappointment.IMO, for a reboot of a dated character the return was good.

Still none of it falls to Cavill’s shoulders and maybe he was not beloved but he was well liked and one thing audiences seem to agree on...or the majority at least.Is there potential for growth?Definetly. But I firmly believe that people  would like to see Cavill’s story continue and not a whole damn show focusing on the CW version of the character.

48 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Neither MOS or BVS lost money.In fact both brought money back to the studio, even if it was less than expected.Plus, the calls for MOS to make 1B back in the day were kind of unrealistic expectations so of course the film making 650M seemed like a disappointment.IMO, for a reboot of a dated character the return was good.

Still none of it falls to Cavill’s shoulders and maybe he was not beloved but he was well liked and one thing audiences seem to agree on...or the majority at least.Is there potential for growth?Definetly. But I firmly believe that people  would like to see Cavill’s story continue and not a whole damn show focusing on the CW version of the character.

C'mon. Smallville was a CW show and it garnered the most popularity for supes since reeves.

And it doesn't fall on Cavill, mostly Snyder, but what made Superman I so special? Reeves. He understood the character of superman and clark. There's a reason why when ppl they of Superman, they think of Christopher Reeves. Cavill doesn't even come close to that iconic status and he has done three movies as Superman.

And you overestimate the amount of people who care to continue Cavill's story, particularly since that means your continuing on bvs and JL. A fresh take would be welcomed.

1 hour ago, The Chad DC said:

C'mon. Smallville was a CW show and it garnered the most popularity for supes since reeves.

And it doesn't fall on Cavill, mostly Snyder, but what made Superman I so special? Reeves. He understood the character of superman and clark. There's a reason why when ppl they of Superman, they think of Christopher Reeves. Cavill doesn't even come close to that iconic status and he has done three movies as Superman.

And you overestimate the amount of people who care to continue Cavill's story, particularly since that means your continuing on bvs and JL. A fresh take would be welcomed.

Agree with all you're saying, but pet peeve...please get Mr. Reeve's name right (I assume you're talking about Christopher Reeve).

Superman 1950s: George REEVES. 

Superman 1978-87: Christopher REEVE.

Otherwise...we're simpatico.  Chris Reeve was a once-in-a-lifetime presence both on and off-screen (especially after his injury), never to be duplicated. 

Would have also liked to see the Smallville cast do a feature...but Welling was unusually reticent about adopting the superhero identity.  And ten years ago, Warner Bros., like most other studios, still saw a certain inferiority complex between filmmaking and TV production...even though they made hundreds of millions from Smallville through syndication. 

Edited by Macleod

Cavill is shooting Witcher season 2 in early 2020 I read so I feel if anything is going to happen on the Superman front for him (which I doubt atm) will probably happen around the time Black Adam films(in July 2020). If anyone can smooth over the situation and make things work it will be with the rocks help since they have the same management team. 

Edited by cax16

Man Of Steel and Batman v Superman were big box office hits, and the only people who deny that had arbitrary expectations. These two movies also had big home video sales, and are popular on television and on streaming.

Aquaman was introduced in Justice League and still went on to make over a billion in his following solo movie. Wonder Woman was introduced in Batman v Superman, a movie some claim was universally hated, and also went on to have a successful run in her solo film.

There is no evidence that supports the idea that Henry Cavill isn't popular and can't continue playing the character. With all due respect, but Christopher Reeve fans need to let him go. His version of the character is outdated, a thing of the past, and it doesn't work with modern day audiences, as evidenced by the money losing box office performance and terrible reputation of Superman Returns.

Not to mention Shazam had the tone and style some of you dream for a new Superman movie, and no one showed up to see it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Macleod said:

Agree with all you're saying, but pet peeve...please get Mr. Reeve's name right (I assume you're talking about Christopher Reeve).

Superman 1950s: George REEVES. 

Superman 1978-87: Christopher REEVE.

Otherwise...we're simpatico.  Chris Reeve was a once-in-a-lifetime presence both on and off-screen (especially after his injury), never to be duplicated. 

Would have also liked to see the Smallville cast do a feature...but Welling was unusually reticent about adopting the superhero identity.  And ten years ago, Warner Bros., like most other studios, still saw a certain inferiority complex between filmmaking and TV production...even though they made hundreds of millions from Smallville through syndication. 

Just getting confused because of matt reeves.

21 hours ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

wtf logic is this..

What needs to happen is Warner Bros hiring JJ Abrams to reboot the franchise

A lot of people loved Henry Cavill as Superman but most if not all of those same people also loved Ben Affleck as Batman, and so far there’s no major critiques against The Batman. Everyone is on board with Matt Reeves and Robert Pattinson so far, so I can see a similar situation happening over here.

Edited by JGAR4LIFE
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

What needs to happen is Warner Bros hiring JJ Abrams to reboot the franchise

hmmm yeah .. but as per news .. WB is not interested in superman films right now .. the main focus is to develop the other characters like Shazam , Aquaman , WW & Black Adam 

i m hoping for some news about MOS2 .. 

39 minutes ago, Sunny Max said:

hmmm yeah .. but as per news .. WB is not interested in superman films right now .. the main focus is to develop the other characters like Shazam , Aquaman , WW & Black Adam 

i m hoping for some news about MOS2 .. 

J.J did say he was working on something special at the HBOmax presentation. There have been rumours/speculation that WB wants him to run DC. Nothing concrete and his job will be primarily to deliever content to HBOmax, but there's HOPE.

• Like 2