CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

3 hours ago, Macleod said:

This was the original plan, before Warners was unhappy with Man of Steel's theatrical grosses, and decided to bring in Batman instead.  The plan changed. 

And no, this would not be a new thing whatsoever.  Terminator has done it three times in a row, now, ignoring each previous iteration.  Loads of sequels/franchises have done it over the years. 

But anyway...another movie with Cavill is not happening.  It's wishful dreaming.

Yeah, the MOS2 became BvS about six weeks after MOS opened is not a coincidence.

Warners was already envious of the kind of money that Marvel was making, and very jealous of how incredibly well the Avengers had done,and had already suffered a major blow when Green Lantern, which they clearly expected to ignite the DCU the way Iron Man had ignited the MCU was a big bomb which almost nobody likes (GL fans least of all) and you  have to see the change of MOS 2 to BvS as sort of a panic move. Yes, MOS did a lot better then GL did, but still was nowhere near what Warners had expected, so Warners decided to go back to the character that had been so lucrative to them in the recent past...Batman. The rest is history.

What is worth noting is that for as "terrible" as the reception of JUSTICE LEAGUE was, Wonder Woman and Aquabro went on to gross $2 billion and their sequels are will likely increase over that figure. A well-made Flash movie with Ezra Miller would no doubt do well. 

Could be worse...

16 hours ago, excel1 said:

What is worth noting is that for as "terrible" as the reception of JUSTICE LEAGUE was, Wonder Woman and Aquabro went on to gross $2 billion and their sequels are will likely increase over that figure. A well-made Flash movie with Ezra Miller would no doubt do well. 

Could be worse...

I still think DC will not release a solo Flash movie until the TV show has completed it's run.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 1:18 PM, dudalb said:

I still think DC will not release a solo Flash movie until the TV show has completed it's run.

Arrow is ending this year. If Flash lasts the same length, it'd get another two seasons (or one full and one half), ending in 2022. Given the time to production and where it seems to be at, I doubt we'd see it before 2023 anyway. 

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 12:58 AM, ElsaRoc said:

Basically ignoring BvS and JL. Which might be the best way forward. WW84 seems to be ignoring at least some of the character beats there, BoP and TSS are probably not going to lean too heavily on Suicide Squad, and I doubt The Batman will go there at all. 

It would probably be a first, too, for an active franchise to effectively discard some of its films. 

Gal Gadot has said that some of the lines Wondy had in BVS,,the infamous FOr a Hundred Year Line....were a bad idea and were pretty much ignored in WW.

On 11/27/2019 at 5:36 AM, JGAR4LIFE said:

This is gonna get Ghostbusters 2016 type reception if it happens. Even if it’s Calvin Ellis and he’s well written, I’m sorry but it’s gonna stir up a lot of controversy and I don’t see how overseas audiences will receive it

Im sorry if that offends you.

This. Majority of overseas audience cant even tell DC from Marvel (actually majority of audience). Speaking for myself, growing up in asian country, all we know is white superman (smallville and donner superman's). Slapping a black superman into a universe that is not even remotely built up already like marvel, you risking your movie grossing just about the same as Shazam. 

Just imagine the poster and the reaction to follow, it aint gonna be pretty.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, no. Their destinies were knit in BVS and with Snyder out, we need a new Sup with the new Bat. MOS, BVS, JL was enough chances for Cavill's Sup even though he could have done better had the characterization been planned better. But there have been plenty of what-ifs and if-onlys, and not every casting needs a happy ending. Even Batfleck who was very well liked in BVS couldn't get a graceful exit. Move on.

1 hour ago, a2k said:

Yeah, no. Their destinies were knit in BVS and with Snyder out, we need a new Sup with the new Bat. MOS, BVS, JL was enough chances for Cavill's Sup even though he could have done better had the characterization been planned better. But there have been plenty of what-ifs and if-onlys, and not every casting needs a happy ending. Even Batfleck who was very well liked in BVS couldn't get a graceful exit. Move on.

Affleck wanted out. He had personal issues going on at the time as well. Cavill seems to want to continue. 

• Like 1

I was only half-joking, because Cavill really is so hot right now. He was well-liked as Superman, and since then he had a great supporting role in MI, and is now lead in the biggest new TV show of 2019. He is sure to return as lead in a blockbuster soon, if not for MOS2 then somewhere else.

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Affleck wanted out. He had personal issues going on at the time as well. Cavill seems to want to continue. 

Cavill clearly would love to come back, he is always very careful in interviews as if still under contract. But, he clearly also would love a huge paycheck.

On 12/23/2019 at 10:09 PM, excel1 said:

Maybe give this to Rian Johnson now that it seems Abrams is on the outs

Abrams is not going to be blamed for anything Star Wars -- that was all internal, and he was hired to "fix" the problems as much as he could.  His deal with Warner Bros. is already signed, sealed, delivered. 

13 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

I was only half-joking, because Cavill really is so hot right now. He was well-liked as Superman, and since then he had a great supporting role in MI, and is now lead in the biggest new TV show of 2019. He is sure to return as lead in a blockbuster soon, if not for MOS2 then somewhere else.

Cavill clearly would love to come back, he is always very careful in interviews as if still under contract. But, he clearly also would love a huge paycheck.

Are you half-joking about Cavill, too?  The Witcher's reviews are extremely mixed, and some are terrible:

https://ew.com/tv-reviews/2019/12/20/netflix-the-witcher-review/

Who knows what kind of viewership it's getting for Netflix, but it's far from some universally-praised, success-of-the year. 

Cavill was unfortunately cast too late and treated too ill in his Superman appearances to really make a difference of longevity to his career.  I think his contract options are probably up soon (2020 would make sense, three years since JL), and he's playing nice in one last-ditch hope that Warners reconsiders.  I'd say it's 99.9% likely they won't. 

Edited by Macleod

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:23 PM, Macleod said:

Are you half-joking about Cavill, too?  The Witcher's reviews are extremely mixed, and some are terrible:

https://ew.com/tv-reviews/2019/12/20/netflix-the-witcher-review/

Who knows what kind of viewership it's getting for Netflix, but it's far from some universally-praised, success-of-the year. 

Cavill was unfortunately cast too late and treated too ill in his Superman appearances to really make a difference of longevity to his career.  I think his contract options are probably up soon (2020 would make sense, three years since JL), and he's playing nice in one last-ditch hope that Warners reconsiders.  I'd say it's 99.9% likely they won't. 

The Witcher was a success, but acting like it's another GOT and has made Cavill a BIg Time Player is fan silliness at it's most unrealistic.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 12:58 AM, ElsaRoc said:

Basically ignoring BvS and JL. Which might be the best way forward. WW84 seems to be ignoring at least some of the character beats there, BoP and TSS are probably not going to lean too heavily on Suicide Squad, and I doubt The Batman will go there at all. 

It would probably be a first, too, for an active franchise to effectively discard some of its films. 

Interesting that Cavill is pretty much advocating handling Supes a lot like Marvel Studios handled Captain America;IMHO that would be a smart move.