CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

3 minutes ago, excel1 said:

That isn't true whatsoever and you aren't the casual moviegoer that they need to excite. 

It is true, though. The character is the draw for the casual moviegoer, not the actor playing them. Though it does help if they're played by someone famous or well known. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JWR said:

It is true, though. The character is the draw for the casual moviegoer, not the actor playing them. Though it does help if they're played by someone famous or well known. 

Need to stop speaking such broad generalized terms. Joaquin Phoenix as Joker was huge boost to its explosion. Zendaya 100% helps her IP films. etc etc etc. The potential spectrum for this film is huge. 

Need a cast that has direct appeal to generation z. It is what it is.

Just now, excel1 said:

Need to stop speaking such broad generalized terms. Joaquin Phoenix as Joker was huge boost to its explosion. Zendaya 100% helps her IP films. etc etc etc. The potential spectrum for this film is huge. 

Need a cast that has direct appeal to generation z. It is what it is.

All that does is prove my point that having well known names in a superhero/comic book movie helps. It definitely helped in the case of Joaquin Phoenix as Joker. Though it's important to consider that the Joker is Batman’s most well known villain.

4 hours ago, JWR said:

Inote the tendacy in CBM is sto cast relatively unknown actors as the hero/heroine, but then cast the big names in supporting roles, or, quite often, as the Villian.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I have full faith in James Gunn but there's so much riding on this movie I don't envy the pressure he'll be under to deliver a great movie both in quality and box office wise.

Yeah DC/Warners  has bet the farm on this one.

6 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Corenswet would fit the role, obviously, but would also be reminiscent of the Pratt casting. Mostly TV guy that's kinda unknown who breaks out in a big film the year prior. 

I mean...I think Twisters is going to be another Charlies Angels. It will be dead on arrival unless the film itself is randomly very good. 

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Yeah DC/Warners  has bet the farm on this one.

I would literally not trust any other director with that. Not a single MCU one, despite me loving a lot of them. The fact is that now DC Studios has literally the best director of the genre that not only loves to make superhero films but also it’s incredibly savvy about what make them tick as their studio head and director of their first film. 

I love the MCU, I love the superhero genre, but if anything, I’m more worried with the future of the MCU when it comes to new directors than DC Studios lately. Gunn can’t spread himself too thin and there is only so much he can do by himself, but I trust him to find great people to work with him on the next DC projects. Marvel Studios would be wise scouting for new talent that is as passionate and talented as Gunn.

• Like 1

Launching the DC universe with yet another Superman is risky tbh.

Society isn't too hot on the whole "hopeful and perfect superhero" and after DC itself butchered "Dark" Superman (+ The Boys / Invincible nailing it)... what's left for them to do? 

If there's someone that can pull it off it's Gunn, but it doesn't sound like they're reading the room. 

Just now, Warmaster506 said:

Holy shit does this film have an uphill battle

No kidding:

- Restoring general audience's trust in the DC Brand

- Rebooting Superman 

- Being the foundation of the DCU

- Clear the baggage of the DCEU

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I don't know if audiences are going to understand or accept this as a reboot coming only 18 months after the last DCEU movie. It all starts running together and confusing people.

Idk they accepted The Batman pretty well. If it's good, they'll come

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I don't know if audiences are going to understand or accept this as a reboot coming only 18 months after the last DCEU movie. It all starts running together and confusing people.

The Batman, with a 3 hour runtime and hard PG-13 rating during Omicron still made north of $700M because of strong reviews and word of mouth.

If this is good, the crowd will come.

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

If anything is likely to confuse people, it’s that the DCU is supposedly still going to retain elements of the DCEU, namely the stuff that James Gunn had already made for it. As long as they don’t shove Amanda Waller or Emilia Harcourt into this, that shouldn’t impact it. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

If anything is likely to confuse people, it’s that the DCU is supposedly still going to retain elements of the DCEU, namely the stuff that James Gunn had already made for it. As long as they don’t shove Amanda Waller or Emilia Harcourt into this, that shouldn’t impact it. 

Yeah honestly, the DCU needs to be a HARD reboot to truly get out from the shadow of the DCEU. No Waller, no Peacemaker, no Suicide Squad, NOTHING that could remind people.

• Like 2