Olive

Avengers: Age of Ultron OS Thread | $945.7M OS | $1.405B WW

Two questions:

1) Does Avengers have a good chance at 1.55 billion?

2) Will that be enough to beat F7?

1) Yes a chance if it hold's well from here and explodes big in China.

2) Yes FF7 should be at around $1.5 billion at the end of it's run so $1.55 billion would be enough.

• Like 1

FF7 will finish with

DOM: 350

China: 390

OS-C: 760

Total: 1.5B

AoU is looking to do:

DOM: 450

OS-CJ: 700

So China+Japan need to do 350M. Japan will probably do 25-30M, so China needs to do 325M. That's possible but very unlikely.

TF4 did $320M. FF7 is closing in on $400M. I think I am sure Ultron will do at least $350M

Two questions:

1) Does Avengers have a good chance at 1.55 billion?

2) Will that be enough to beat F7?

NO and NO

China is pretty unpredictable. So we will know by next weekend.

We'll know in 48 hours.

• Like 2

South Korea remains the lead market on $74m, the UK on $61.5m, Mexico on $39.8m, Brazil on $37.2m, Russia on $30.9m, France on $28.5m, Australia on $25.9m and Germany on $23.8m.

Italy has generated $17m, Taiwan $16.3m, Hong Kong $16.2m, India $15.9m, Philippines $12.5m, Malaysia $12.4m, Argentina $10.9m, Thailand $10.5m, Spain $8.9m and Singapore $8.4m. Ultron opens in Japan on July 4.

• Like 3

FF7 will finish with

DOM: 350

China: 390

OS-C: 760

Total: 1.5B

AoU is looking to do:

DOM: 450

OS-CJ: 700

So China+Japan need to do 350M. Japan will probably do 25-30M, so China needs to do 325M. That's possible but very unlikely.

Current markets will easily surpass 700, possibly get to 750m. Japan did 45m on the first Avengers and this is an Asian market where we have seen the biggest increases, so it could do 40m+.

Edited by eXtacy

Current markets will easily surpass 700, possibly get to 750m. Japan did 45m on the first Avengers and this is an Asian market where we have seen the biggest increases, so it could do 40m+.

After the crash this weekend 750m is not happening in current markets. It would have required at least 80m this weekend.

Japan, despite being in Asia, behaves more like DOM/Europe and it will likely see a decrease in local currency, not to mention the exchange rate is much worse.

Avengers did 45M thanks to a very favorable exchange rate. Based on recent superhero 'successes' there, AoU might be lucky to get to 20M.

In other hands we should considere the strenght of Disney's and the success of a Marvel superhero movie like Big Hero 6.

However AoU weekly OS grosses have been 201-238-123, weekend 201-168-68 and weekdays 70- 55, that mean for this week a drop of only 17% in weekdays and 60% in weekend! So I think is very difficult for it to reach 700 out of China and Japan, and without a great run in those two market, to outpaces Frozen for #5 WW isn't totally sure.

Just so that the mourning is relieved a bit, AoU is still leading Avengers in local currencies by 20%. That is not a number to ignore. Yes, the exchange rates, and thus profits, are low, but it indicates that these films remain immensely, and increasingly, popular around the world.

Footnote #1: on the other hand, admissions and ticket sales in North America will fall about 30% compared to the first one, if not more.

Footnote #2: With China coming, the lead of AoU in local currnecy can only increase and maybe ultimately compensate for the bigger decrease in North American sales (although when that is converted to dollars it admittedly might not be enough).

Actually I can only see 680m from current OS markets, so IMO AOUS needs 370m from China and Japan to stand a chance against F7 ..... 

I don't see AOU making 370 m from China and Japan.

Edited by grey ghost

I was following the DOM thread on Saturday morning cause it might have been really good Friday but it failed to average so I moved my attention to OS thread hoping for good hold but here it's the same or even worse ;p crap box office run xd

In other hands we should considere the strenght of Disney's and the success of a Marvel superhero movie like Big Hero 6.

Avengers won't be perceived as a classic Disney film because it doesn't look like that. Big Hero 6 is animated, Japan-related and actually felt "Disneyish".

AoU should definitely drop from the first installement in Yen, and therefore will drop quite hard in dollars.

I must say this has been one the most boring performances ever for an uber-blockbuster. Dull domestic run, small OS increase in local currencies, lower total in dollars, WW gross around the first episode...*yawns*.

• Like 3