grim22

Wknd Estimates: Nolan = 50M | BH6 = 56M+(pg 72) (who cares, our forum lives!)

If the movie makes under 125m it will be a bomb. Studios are not going want to work with Nolan and give him a huge budget again. 

That's insane.  Nolan does one film that comes in under lofty expectations and you think studios won't want to give him a big budget again?  You're talking one film.  

• Like 3

I'm as surprised and flustered as you, believe me.

Ok, so the things we talked about on the phone....are you with me or do you have your own different complaints?

when they released Gravity , there was no BH6 like movie to go toe to toe with it

and Gravity is 1 hrs. 31 min you really want to compare it with a 2 hrs. 50 min film ?

Also Gravity had zero competition early on, it had all of October as the top movie.

• Like 1

Look, I'm not sitting here in my ivory tower shouting out that I knew it would open to this number.  Fact is I stayed away from predicting this film.  I thought it would open close to 60 but I never thought it was going to be another Inception and then when you compare it to the two films it was most in common with, the opening looks right in line with what it could be expected to do.  

Legs are this will determine if it is a success or not.  I realize Nolan is a deity here but that doesn't mean he is immune to box office trends.

Gravity and Inception had both extraordinaty legs. It is (too) much to ask from Interstellar to be up with them. (I have no idea , how good IS really is, but from what transpires - it is not)

But I expected it could match them in OW.

How is it a hit for Nolan ? If noting else , it seems like a flop to me , considering the hype and budget . I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for Nolan like shyamalan . It' s not like inception was a huge hit and neither was batman begins or insomnia , he was just lucky with ledger's death before the dark night .

Oh and memento is trash .

Dude......this is borderline trolling.  Inception wasn't a big hit?  And I guess Christmas is a little known holiday in North America and the NFL makes a small profit every year.  

Edited by baumer
  • Like 8

Scott and Burton have had some failures and it's never stopped studios throwing money at them. Nolan's more than fine. This is as melodramatic as Interstellar. It's not even a failure!

Edited by Fifdddeee Shadddeees
  • Like 2

Exactly. Again, look at WB and fhe Wachowskis.

I can't believe I'm the one defending Nolan when in the past I've been accused of being a Nolan hater.

If the legs on this end up being subpar, then yes, it will be a disappointment.  But you can't say it is yet, not based just on the opening weekend.

And this coming from someone who didn't like it all that much.

• Like 2

when they released Gravity ,inception . there was no BH6 like movie which just fresh out in the same week to go toe to toe with it

and Gravity is 1 hrs. 31 min you really want to compare it with a 2 hrs. 50 min film ?

Right, you are giving reasons to explain the poor showing. Fact remains: IS could not even defeat BH6 on Friday (if you substract the late Thursday shows of both)  - that is weaker than expected (or am I wrong?)

Actually, I think if

Matt Damon and McConaughey had switched roles

the movie very probably would've been better.

Thinking about that...it kinda does make some sense.

Cooper's role is very much a Tom Hanks in a Spielberg movie role, and Matt Damon can do Tom Hanks more naturally than McConaughey, and McConaughey can nail hopeless brain-addled despair better than Damon can

• Like 3

Right, you are giving reasons to explain the poor showing. Fact remains: IS could not even defeat BH6 on Friday (if you substract the late Thursday shows of both)  - that is weaker than expected (or am I wrong?)

I don't think movie like interstellar has more attraction than BH6-- a family movie,nearly no age restriction and it is 3d,and it is one hour shorter than IS--means more sessions

there were some disscussion about IS on my native language forums, some people who love Nolan previous works, even they are not planning to see this one -- because it is about space with no alien

http://bbs.cctvdream.com.cn

Edited by rickfox

I'm with baumer here ... this is no actioner and no crowd-pleaser and no superhero movie. It's an ok opening - the thing which troubles me though is that somehow it seems pretty frontloaded (same trend in Germany, btw). That's a bit strange for a brainy SF with adult audiences - and if it's really dropping hard next weekend, then we might talk about "what went wrong".

I think "leg" comes with territories. High profile Hollywood movies usually don't have legs in many countries; most money were earned within the first two weeks. Legs are mostly grown from lower profile films which develop good wom. like Lucy and Life of Pi. 

I don't think movie like interstellar has more attraction than BH6-- a family movie,nearly no age restriction and it is 3d,and it is one hour shorter than IS--means more sessions

well in my calculation it lost OD to a kids-oriented movie

Do you think it will have better legs than the Disney Xmas animated movie for this year (because people can't watch it because too few showings due to its excessive length?)

Wednesday 1.3m to Thursday 0.8m tell a different story

well in my calculation it lost OD to a kids-oriented movie

Do you think it will have better legs than the Disney Xmas animated movie for this year (because people can't watch it because too few showings due to its excessive length?)

Wednesday 1.3m to Thursday 0.8m tell a different story

???

I agree with

Matt Damon and McConaughey switching roles would probably been better. Matthew did a good job on the role though but I think he was not that endearing to a casual viewer which Damon could probably have done better

I still like Interstellar, not as much as Inception, but i think it's a good movie and very compelling. Hope it still does a good box office after all is said and done

Hoping for great legs for BH6 as well.Penguins will be a big threat too but we shall see ;)