Fancyarcher

Monday Actuals: Nolan - 5.2M, BH6 - 5.1M

Cameron went on record saying that none of his movies lost any money, Abyss included but back then , vhs rentals and home ideo market could save your movie from theatrical run disapointment.

True.. Frigging movies on VHS back then in the cases of Titan and TLK made up to near a bllion on HV(70+M units on VHS alone and those two have about 80M units total between VHS and DVD, BR , LD etc--Holy shit!)

Agreed, but you have to admit you need an ultimate movie maker at the forefront to have a perfect record of no losses..

There is only one left at the moment(Though he should make far more films dammit lol)

• Like 1

Need not to worry about Interstellar. I'm not a hypocrite, I wanted it to do more, but after watching the film and accepting that it's a challenging, thought-provoking art movie on the big scope, what it is doing is impressive. It shouldn't be compared to blockbusters. Imagine what Tree of Life would have done in 3000+ theatres. Not much, 

The big challange that Interstellar faces is Hunger Games. IMAX is essential for this film, so it's comforting that it will keep IMAX when HG is out, so the Thanksgiving drop shouldn't be too bad. As for the weekend, I'm expecting 55% drop for conventional theatres and 40% drop for IMAX. By my calculation that would mean an overall 23m second weekend, which is an 51.5% drop.

Alfred Im so going to bearhug you bud.... Hah hah dont hurt me, but I gotta poke some fun at friends and enemies alike saying this was going to blow away you know whos legendary sci-fi debut and now the current WW and Domestic King(And he did it back to back lol) I like that alot of my friends either loved it or thought it was a turd and a mistep by Nolan. But because I loved TDK, Prestige, BB.. He'll get my 19-22.00 for the giant Imax viewing of this film.

How do you rate IS out of 10 vs Big hero 6 ole Alfred the wise and old patriot of the forums I might add :) Good to see Thee!!!

BH6 and WiR really ARE the perfect comparisons. :lol:

Domestically they are absolutely perfect. The only difference was this idea of Disney's brand improving thanks to Frozen, though I never bought into that (and seemed to be proven right for once :P ).

However, overseas it could prove to be a rather different picture. I can see BH6 doing well in Asia.

‏@ERCboxoffice 41s42 seconds ago

INTERSTELLAR scored $5.2M on Monday, $55M total.

Good stuff :)

As for the weekend, I'm expecting 55% drop for conventional theatres and 40% drop for IMAX. By my calculation that would mean an overall 23m second weekend, which is an 51.5% drop.

That sounds very reasonable.

Isn't that quite low? Gravity only dropped 23% in its second weekend. I appreciate that it had better word of mouth but still, 52% is a big drop for an adult-aimed film, even by blockbuster standards (e.g. Inception's 32% drop)

Edited by treeroy
  • Like 1

Hey is there any hope of any film topping Transformers for king of the year.. Hobbit , Mocking Jay..Anything else :(.. Damn I Hope some film steps up.. I know Mocking Jay is going to crush the domestic crown holder that is Guardians though.

Wow cant believe that run for Optimus with a weak movie in China....(Jaws to the ground!!)

Mockinjay is winning the year by a country mile. As I said on the other thread Interstellar isn't a blockbuster film, shall not be compared to Prometheus or Gravity. Its opening rollout and its whole run is unique. It was meant be seen in IMAX and was focused heavily on that format. Now you can say that it's underachieving in conventional theatres somewhat, but it's keep doing great figures in its intended format. So which one do you judge the film's power then? If it keeps selling out in IMAx I think it's a proof that WoM is brilliant and it will drive the film to a healthy total. OS business guarantees that it's a box office success anyway and will make profit - for WB at least lol

Edited by Alfredstellar
  • Like 2

How about you start talking like a normal person? Your God, James Cameron, flopped with The Abyss. Did that ruin his reputation? OF COURSE NOT.

He's nowhere near ever being the next Shamalamadingdong. This will, IMO, become the film that will be remembered the most from his filmography in the coming decades. 

Shaymalan's films, after Signs, cannot even begin to measure up to even 1% of what Interstellar did. And at least Interstellar doesn't have an ending that's really fucking stupid. I think Signs is his best film, but oh man, the twist that the aliens found water poisonous was beyond retarded.

Water is the fucking universal solvent, and why on earth would the aliens want to go to a planet that's 79% COVERED IN WATER?!

Fucking moronic writing there. 

Noctis aliens actually are in the North pole and in our waters... I suggest you read up in the Paranormal thread.. So theres some truth to Abyss. Deep in the sea with technology up to millions of years ahead of ours, would be perfect for them to have their own

civilizations, and mostly be untouched by low level species like ours.. Your kidding right lol.

They just shut down a guys expedition who took video of an alien city somewhere  in the antartica I believe. So yes aliens would find waters of earth very very to their liking. The next place would be underground or rather in the earth's core at different parts around the globe.

No clue on BH6. Probably under 150 for Interstellar.

Oh damn, what did you rate it and your friends good buddy.. When you predict a domestic tally so low for a big even Nolan film.. I know you likely didnt feel your seeing the mans best work. :-O!!!

Me either.. Our friends Captain, and Disney in here were really talking about. ALso my friend Ethan I think. I need to see some trailers and see if its worth checking it out. Got a PT gig for extra money in a Super Toysarus store and the characters look sort of silly lol. Cant imagine this taking off big Domestic or OS.. Hah hah

Noctis aliens actually are in the North pole and in our waters... I suggest you read up in the Paranormal thread.. So theres some truth to Abyss. Deep in the sea with technology up to millions of years ahead of ours, would be perfect for them to have their own

civilizations, and mostly be untouched by low level species like ours.. Your kidding right lol.

They just shut down a guys expedition who took video of an alien city somewhere  in the antartica I believe. So yes aliens would find waters of earth very very to their liking. The next place would be underground or rather in the earth's core at different parts around the globe.

Yea, the person who took the picture was me. The alien city looks like the palace in Frozen.

Hey is there any hope of any film topping Transformers for king of the year.. Hobbit , Mocking Jay..Anything else :(.. Damn I Hope some film steps up.. I know Mocking Jay is going to crush the domestic crown holder that is Guardians though.

Wow cant believe that run for Optimus with a weak movie in China....(Jaws to the ground!!)

Hobbit is the only one that could do it, but the chance of that is looking slim. At the start of the year, I predicted $1.15b for Hobbit but I'm not so sure now. It should do around $1b, but honestly, the idea of it doing $65m more than An Unexpected Journey, which was a return to the beloved Middle-earth without negative reception, is a little hard to believe. Still, if it has great WoM (and it helps that Desolation was well-received), then it could theoretically beat Transformers. It is the last Middle-earth film from Peter Jackson we'll ever see, after all; that's got to stand for something, right?

Anyway, only The Hobbit has even the possibility of beating Transformers. Mockingjay doesn't stand a chance, even if the overseas audience has grown substantially.

I think it's interesting that this year has had a significantly lower top end ($1.1b) than previous years (2013 = $1.3b, 2012 = $1.5b, 2011 = $1.3b), yet the bottom end of the Top 10 has increased (the year is guaranteed to end with less than 2 films below $700m, which has never happened before).

Edited by treeroy