Fancyarcher

Monday Actuals: Nolan - 5.2M, BH6 - 5.1M

What TMNT is heading half a billion?

Well its a fun enjoyable movie and Fox was super hot. 

Lordman  you must come down bud to see  Batman and Supes , Avengers2 and if you cant definitely come hang to see the Debut of the Behemoth Killer: Juggernaut 2016!!. The mega Imax is even bigger than I thought

Edited by Superman001

What TMNT is heading half a billion?

Well its a fun enjoyable movie and Fox was super hot. 

Yes sir if fans love it on HV , TMNT will have  800-900+M WW debut between BO and HV BO.. Holy moly.. Hows that for a comeback. Rem when all these folks saying we were crazy to think folks arent fed up with Turtles.. Hah hah

Guys, this is the daily numbers thread. Take the TMNT/Avengers/etc talk elsewhere, please.

I was commenting on TMNT because I saw its total domestic gross and total WW gross :P  

Edited by Lordmandeep

Love your positive spirit Tree friend and yes indeed I would love PJ to go out with the bang of being king of the world, especially when frankly Transformers 4 is proving to be almost as bad as part 2 was.. I dont think this Transformers deserves the top law dawg crown. With a little help from us fans of PJ and LOTR..., we may yet score a victory. So TR4 is at 1.1B.. Hobbit needs a very strong domestic and powerful OS run to take the crown.

It can be done. Im wondering if we may have some suprises left that could also do stellar box office. 2014 is Definitely one hell of a weak year for those of us looking to track incredible runs.. EEP!

I thought Transformers 2 and 3 were bad enough, but I watched 4 in the cinema and it was even worse, which I was surprised by.

Fortunately, even if Transformers 4 takes the crown this year, it won't ever again. It's on a steep downwards trajectory domestically, and may well earn less than $200 million in 2016 when TF5 releases. Worldwide excluding China, TF4 was down $100 million on TF3, and the next one will likely earn less in all those markets too. And even in China, it'd be a little surprising to see TF5 do as well as TF4 has done, though I'm not counting that out. TF5 should do around $900 million worldwide, which is a big jump down. It won't break a billion again.

I'm actually not a huge Peter Jackson fan, by the way. I only watched the LotR trilogy for the first time last month, and although I enjoyed them more than I thought I would, I'm by no means a huge fan. I did really like the first two Hobbit films though, which is what got me to watch LotR.

I can definitely see The Hobbit winning the year, I'm just not convinced that it will happen. I would certainly like it to!

As for any other surprises - no, there really aren't. Interstellar was the last chance at that, and it's blown it. The only big releases yet to come, other than Hobbit and Mockingjay, are Night at the Museum 3, Penguins of Madagascar and Into the Woods. (Exodus: Gods and Kings will flop)

Night at the Museum 3 would have a huge ladder to climb (last film made $400m) so it's impossible there.

Penguins of Madagascar won't gross more than Madagascar 3 ($750m) as it's a spin-off and hasn't got a huge fanbase.

Into the Woods being huge is unlikely, given that only one musical has made more than $600 million.

2014 has indeed been pretty poor for huge films. The only surprises that were big were Maleficent and Guardians of the Galaxy (and personally I was surprised by DotPotA, though I know a lot of sites predicted 650-700, I thought it would repeat Rise).

The Empire Leicester Sq Screen is pretty massive too.

If it wasn't for this, I would have never known the difference.

I actually didn't even know Empire in Leicester Square was an IMAX. Only been to Leicester Square twice though.  :P

GUYS:

IMAX size discussion? Take it elsewhere. If someone wants to start a general IMAX discussion in the Speakeasy, that's fine.

What will win the year? Take it elserwhere.

TMNT, Hobbit, Transformers, whatever other franchise you like?

TAKE IT ELSEWHERE.

Otherwise I'm going to start removing posts.

• Like 3

We need to break it down further: the cost is being split between three companies. Paramount gets domestic proceeds, WB gets OS proceeds. Paramount will lose money during the theatrical release, no question -- but as part of the deal they also got the rights to the Friday the 13th series and South Park. So they're covered. It looks like WB will also be covered because the OS gross looks to be well above domestic.

So, it's not a ginormous runaway hit but it's not going to be an overall money loser for the studios either.

The question is how much money does Universal make (with the Legendary stake in the movie)?

That sounds very reasonable.

Too low. I'm predicting sub-40%, since who really wants to see Dumb and Dumber To? Nothing is coming out this weekend :P

Half joking: I 

am predicting a sub-40% drop, but I could see it dropping up to 55%. It's really a crapshoot.

• Like 1

I agree with this: IS is very much an early-career M. Night movie... or perhaps early-ish Spielberg as well. Shouldn't SIGNS and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS be considered blockbuster efforts?

Good comparison, seeing how Interstellar is essentially a good Close Encounters.

Anyway, will be interesting to see today's increases since Veteran's Day with Discount Tuesday. Fury should increase quite a bit I'd guess.

Good comparison, seeing how Interstellar is essentially a good Close Encounters.

Anyway, will be interesting to see today's increases since Veteran's Day with Discount Tuesday. Fury should increase quite a bit I'd guess.

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS is much better than iNTERSTELLAR. ;)

I think you're predicting with your heart, not your mind, but we'll see.

• Like 4

Show batman hanging over bane with broken back and say Knightfall on Gotham in the headlines. Trust me ,we would be a whole new ballpark of BO...

Oh hero6 how is it doing vs Interstellar... Is it a sound start or another dissappointment 4815... I forgot all about that one battling and lauging at Noctis and others Nolan is invincible nonsense.. Not back then, and certainly not today.

Cameron is god!

Cameron isn't God since Cameron can't write good screenplays. Cameron biggest weakness is his screenplays.

Universal doesn't get anything.

Don't they get the money that Legendary gets? Isn't that why WB didn't care about marketing Pacific Rim much?

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS is much better than iNTERSTELLAR. ;)

I think you're predicting with your heart, not your mind, but we'll see.

Nah, I think a low drop is possible (probably more in the 40s though) since it seems as though I've heard good WOM from not-Internet crowd and according to the demographics of Interstellar's OW, a leggy run is more possible than what we originally thought. But only time will tell, yes.

And Close Encounters is like the opposite of Interstellar in a sense that the third act sucks in Close Encounters, whereas Interstellar's most disappointing aspect is the first act but I digress :P

Don't they get the money that Legendary gets? Isn't that why WB didn't care about marketing Pacific Rim much?

Nah, I think a low drop is possible (probably more in the 40s though) since it seems as though I've heard good WOM from not-Internet crowd and according to the demographics of Interstellar's OW, a leggy run is more possible than what we originally thought. But only time will tell, yes.

And Close Encounters is like the opposite of Interstellar in a sense that the third act sucks in Close Encounters, whereas Interstellar's most disappointing aspect is the first act but I digress :P

Third act in Close Encounters is great! But it's definitely love-it-or-hate-it.

• Like 4