Avatree

The IMAX General Discussion Thread

On 10/9/2017 at 5:48 PM, Xillix said:

So hey guys! I went ahead and put together a custom Google Map of all 355 non-dome IMAX theatres in the USA that regularly show commercial first-run movies.

US Commercial IMAX Theatres Map

It'll tell you what kind of projection they have and, in almost all cases, the screen size. The information was obtained from Large Format Examiner but hopefully this format is easier to navigate. I might work on adding Canada, the UK and Australia eventually.

I could help doing Brazil. Does this custom map thing allow contributors?

So IMAX had a pretty significant CinemaCon announcement. Apparently they've finished developing that smaller, cheaper version of the IMAX with Laser 4K projection system. They've signed deals with AMC and Cineworld/Regal. AMC will be converting 87 of its existing global IMAX locations to the laser system, while Cineworld/Regal is converting 29 existing locations and adding 26 new IMAX installations that'll use the new system. All of them will also have "luxury seating" and the 12-channel sound system. They're expected to open between this year and 2022.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Xillix said:

So IMAX had a pretty significant CinemaCon announcement. Apparently they've finished developing that smaller, cheaper version of the IMAX with Laser 4K projection system. They've signed deals with AMC and Cineworld/Regal. AMC will be converting 87 of its existing global IMAX locations to the laser system, while Cineworld/Regal is converting 29 existing locations and adding 26 new IMAX installations that'll use the new system. All of them will also have "luxury seating" and the 12-channel sound system. They're expected to open between this year and 2022.

Hope it comes to a place near me!

18 minutes ago, Xillix said:

PLEASE be the one in my town. It's SO outdated.

The new Sydney IMAX building is growing.

Spoiler

Zlr2WNR.jpg

41016691084_1d3e0d3fec_b.jpg

27864869808_d5e14228f1_b.jpg

The actual IMAX theatre will be in this spot.

41693875062_5746723be3_b.jpg

Completion is currently scheduled for first quarter 2020. 

I hope they can finish the IMAX theatre for the OW of IX. 

• Like 1

I had mentioned on here years ago that the LieMAX in my town seemed to have a taller aspect ratio than 1.85:1 or 1.90:1 ratio. Sure enough it is apparently a 1.64:1 screen, which is much closer to the traditional 1.43:1 ratio of 70mm film IMAX. But this means absolutely zilch at the moment because the projectors are the old 2k digital system with a maxed out 1.9:1 ratio. So they would not be able to take advantage of the extra height at 1.64 ratio unless they replace the projection with the new Laser system capable of running the taller ratios. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I had mentioned on here years ago that the LieMAX in my town seemed to have a taller aspect ratio than 1.85:1 or 1.90:1 ratio. Sure enough it is apparently a 1.64:1 screen, which is much closer to the traditional 1.43:1 ratio of 70mm film IMAX. But this means absolutely zilch at the moment because the projectors are the old 2k digital system with a maxed out 1.9:1 ratio. So they would not be able to take advantage of the extra height at 1.64 ratio unless they replace the projection with the new Laser system capable of running the taller ratios. 

Most IMAX screens are a joke.

45 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Most IMAX screens are a joke.

It's true, but I guess it's better than nothing.

One of my best (and worst) theater experiences was with Avengers in 2012. It was at a theater that didn't have IMAX or a PLF screen. They had a couple of very large screens, but they charged the same amount for those two large screens as they did for the tiniest screen in the theater. At the time, the industry was still pushing 3D pretty hard. This theater had Avengers playing on 4-5 screens. The two big screens (converted to IMAX and RPX a couple years later) had the movie playing in 3D.

Meanwhile, I paid full 2D price at $10 for Avengers on one of the smallest screens in the theater. Of course there was no way of knowing beforehand how small the screen was. I was pretty disappointed when I walked in and saw the tiny screen. A couple years earlier I saw Inception for the same $10 price in 2D on one of the two biggest screens. Very noticeable difference in screen size, despite the ticket prices being identical.  

The Avengers movie itself was awesome and I had a great time with it. Loved the humor and the action sequences. I am glad there is way more transparency now on prices and seating arrangements at many theaters. You know what you're paying for when you buy a ticket for LieMAX or RPX. Rather pay extra for a legitimate big screen than pay $10 for a ticket and it turns out the screen is half the size of another one right next to it at the same $10 price. 

It's a year behind schedule now.  Probably won't even be ready the Nolan Event Film.

Quarter 4, 2020

OPENING EVENT

The Ribbon will be completed in the fourth quarter of 2020. This 25 storey hotel and serviced apartment development will also deliver a modern new premises for the IMAX theatre.

46646513515_0c4c3992ee_b.jpg

40596061933_013b4f0d7e_b.jpg

32619547407_bacd305db5_b.jpg

Source

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132726975@N03/

The IMAX screen at Darling Harbour will measure 29.5 metres by 21 metres (620 square metres). The largest known conventional cinema in Australia is 21 by 12 metres (252 square metres).

https://www.planningportal.nsw.gov.au/major-projects/project/10871

Recliner seats. 

https://majorprojects.planningportal.nsw.gov.au/prweb/PRRestService/mp/01/getContent?AttachRef=SSD-8839!20190429T011612.245 GMT

48042691131_9d208ee310_b.jpg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, cannastop said:

@redfirebird2008

@DeeCee

Do they even make new 60ft (18.3 meters) tall IMAX screens anymore? Outside of the one in Australia of course.

Also I can't believe the fucking nerve of IMAX to tell Japanese theaters that they can't disclose to movie goers how small their screens are.

They must make new screens that size because a new one is getting installed in Sydney.  The old one is gone.  The new screen will be slightly smaller then the old one.